• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nice Job Zeke.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much ado about nothing.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought odds were he'd be suspended.

With Goddell’s history I was pretty damn certain he was going to be suspended. Maybe his statement helped ease things a bit.

Besides - the Ginger God has far more pressing items on his plate (Kareem Hunt)

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Goddell’s history I was pretty damn certain he was going to be suspended. Maybe his statement helped ease things a bit.

Besides - the Ginger God has far more pressing items on his plate (Kareem Hunt)
huh?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a 4th of July gesture for the commish: :finger2:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or let him prove he has grown up before you even discuss locking him up. Worst case scenario (other than injury) is you pay him and then he gets suspended again or multiple times. Sure you save the per game cap hit but that isn't a lot and when you assume you have him, you don't take steps to make sure you are 100% covered if he is lost for a period of time like you would if you weren't resigning him. Contrary to what many main board know-it-alls who really have no clue think, losing Elliot isn't what hurt in 2016, the constant distraction and week to week uncertainty of whether or not he was playing and not preparing in the offseason to back him up properly all hurt more as of course did the OL injuries. We went 3-3 without him and were going to go 3-3 with him. We also rushed for over 100 yards as a team in 5 out of 6 games. This team should win with or without Elliott, but yeah, it's A LOT easier with him. I really like the guy and hope we work something out because I think he is a superstar, but I'm also not afraid to let him go and use those cap dollars elsewhere.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or let him prove he has grown up before you even discuss locking him up. Worst case scenario (other than injury) is you pay him and then he gets suspended again or multiple times. Sure you save the per game cap hit but that isn't a lot and when you assume you have him, you don't take steps to make sure you are 100% covered if he is lost for a period of time like you would if you weren't resigning him. Contrary to what many main board know-it-alls who really have no clue think, losing Elliot isn't what hurt in 2016, the constant distraction and week to week uncertainty of whether or not he was playing and not preparing in the offseason to back him up properly all hurt more as of course did the OL injuries. We went 3-3 without him and were going to go 3-3 with him. We also rushed for over 100 yards as a team in 5 out of 6 games. This team should win with or without Elliott, but yeah, it's A LOT easier with him. I really like the guy and hope we work something out because I think he is a superstar, but I'm also not afraid to let him go and use those cap dollars elsewhere.
pretty sure it covers all the different ways :)

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty sure it covers all the different ways :)
Sorry, wasn't referring to the choices in the article and whether it covers all possibilities. Was referring to how I personally think the team should handle Zeke's contract talks. You can't have some kind of off the field incident every year once you are on the "watch list". The last one wasn't a big deal but it could have been and my guess is if the same thing happens again he gets suspended even though it would be BS IMO. Right now I lean towards tagging him once (not in the article) and then you need to make your decision because he isn't likely to "play nice" if you tag him twice. Will be a lot of tread on those tires after 3 more seasons.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, wasn't referring to the choices in the article and whether it covers all possibilities. Was referring to how I personally think the team should handle Zeke's contract talks. You can't have some kind of off the field incident every year once you are on the "watch list". The last one wasn't a big deal but it could have been and my guess is if the same thing happens again he gets suspended even though it would be BS IMO. Right now I lean towards tagging him once (not in the article) and then you need to make your decision because he isn't likely to "play nice" if you tag him twice. Will be a lot of tread on those tires after 3 more seasons.
I like the idea of extending him early.
If we tag him once. To me that is saying we are getting rid of him after.

I understand the risks that you have pointed out.
I am willing to take the risk he doesnt become a walking suspension vs. paying a ton more money for the same guy or letting go of one of the most complete backs in the league with tread on those tires.

He is still in his 20's for the entire extension. For manageable money. if something does go wrong you can still get rid of him a couple years early. There is plenty upside in that risk/reward scenario to me.
If we play it safe with all of our soon to be expensive guys. We will not be able to afford all of our expensive guys.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team will do what you suggest.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know if Zeke does hold out long term (which I doubt happens BTW) I kinda hope we go with what we got. We will get to see what Moore has to offer. Dak will get to prove he is more than just Zeke. As long as one of our RBs look like they can hold down the fort until Zeke comes back. I hope we dont go signing some other starter. Use the money elsewhere.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know if Zeke does hold out long term (which I doubt happens BTW) I kinda hope we go with what we got. We will get to see what Moore has to offer. Dak will get to prove he is more than just Zeke. As long as one of our RBs look like they can hold down the fort until Zeke comes back. I hope we dont go signing some other starter. Use the money elsewhere.
I also don't think he holds out long term (I think he is back Tuesday), but not me. If Zeke looks like he is going to miss even one game we need to be prepared to win without him as best we can or we are being foolish. If he is going to be back it would be a waste to bring someone else in, but if he is going to miss time we need to assume he misses a lot of time and be prepared. If he is willing to sit one game it is reasonable to assume he may be willing to sit 16.

Last time (with the suspension) we weren't prepared to play without him and we went through week to week confusion over what will happen and whether or not Zeke will be playing and IMO that hurt us even before Zeke was suspended even more than actually losing him. The weekly focus seemed to be at least partly on Zeke's situation and not what mattered which is winning games. If we do what you describe then it means living that scenario all over again and that would be a big mistake IMO. Sitting out is up to Zeke. But the team not giving themselves the best chance to win w/o him is up to the team. Every game is important in a 16 game season and even one loss that could otherwise be a win with a better player in place could make or break the season - WC vs no WC, Division win vs no Division win, or maybe HFA vs no HFA. But the team's job is to do all they can to win every single game.

I for one will want to move on without Zeke on this team if he misses even one game. I know that is a different topic but if he doesn't want to be here, then Fuck him and let's get someone here who does. Team > player. I have no sympathy for his situation. If every player that has two years left under contract sits out the league is destroyed. But if he shows up August 6th or even around the 30th I'll welcome him back with open arms. I know I'm old School on this but making a point is making a point, but hurting the team is selfish and not acceptable to me.

Hopefully it won't come to any of this :hope:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say stay with what we got too.
Zeke definitely makes the team better, but the during his suspension the OLine is disarray hurt too.
As long as the OLine is intact the run game will produce.

Missing Zeke with a full OL = OK
Missing an OLman or two with Zeke = OK
Missing Zeke and an OLman or two = Oh SHIT.

I don't see a reason to panic just now.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say stay with what we got too.
Zeke definitely makes the team better, but the during his suspension the OLine is disarray hurt too.
As long as the OLine is intact the run game will produce.

Missing Zeke with a full OL = OK
Missing an OLman or two with Zeke = OK
Missing Zeke and an OLman or two = Oh SHIT.

I don't see a reason to panic just now.
me either.
Actually I am curious to see this Pollard kid. Not as excited about the other guy, who sounds like is more prototypical of a RB. But I have been wanting a homerun hitting RB like Dorsett, since...... Well Dorsett. Pollard & our new DT has my curiosity running high. Zeke holding out might help that learning curve a bit, if things work out properly. Also it will push Dak & Moore's offense if he holds out. We could get some answers on what is right or needs to be fixed on offense much quicker in a weird sort of way.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two Players I want to see break out and have great camps and preseason games are Donovan Wilson and Dorance Armstrong. Armstrong looks like a much better pass rusher than Taco and just very tired of Heath being on the field

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted this on the main board by mistake. Meant to put here:

Big Day for Zeke tomorrow. He needs to report by tomorrow to have 4 years of service to become an UFA after his contract is up, or if not he needs to report next year by this time - he has 3 years so he can get his 4th year either this year or next year.
One would think he would want to report this year and keep the ability to report late next year in his pocket for leverage. But, he may go all in this year and assume he eventually gets a deal with Dallas and doesn't ever become a FA or ever even need the 4th year. I guess technically he can sit out all year this year and just report by 8/6 (or whatever the date is) next year and still be a FA. IMO if he goes past 8/6 Dallas needs to be prepared for him to be out long term.