• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL upholds Brady's 4 game suspension

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all you need for an injunction is "irreparable harm." He could claim that he only has X amount of games that he can play in during his career and it will affect his career stats which would cause him irreparable harm. I can see a Court buying that argument

No, in every state (or U.S. District) I've ever seen, you also need to show that you're "likely to prevail on the merits," and a couple of other factors that aren't really worth mentioning (balancing of hardships, and "public interest," but the irreparable harm and "likely to prevail on the merits" are the biggies).

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, in every state (or U.S. District) I've ever seen, you also need to show that you're "likely to prevail on the merits," and a couple of other factors that aren't really worth mentioning (balancing of hardships, and "public interest," but the irreparable harm and "likely to prevail on the merits" are the biggies).

Good points. I think the NFLPA can make a reasonable argument they are "likely to prevail on the merit".

Now it might not be slam dunk, but likelyhood of prevailing doesn't have to be.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but you obviously do not understand Federal court. Lawyers can ask for continuance on the most foolish claims.

Any continuance wouldn't last for long; injunction issues are given priority in courts, and are to be heard before just about any other matter.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty I felt the NFL over punished Brady but watching some of these Pat Fans further dig their grave is priceless.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
totally-awesome.gif

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. I think the NFLPA can make a reasonable argument they are "likely to prevail on the merit".

Now it might not be slam dunk, but likelyhood of prevailing doesn't have to be.
There is nothing that came out today from the NFLPA that they didn't already spell out in public months ago. The NFL has had all this time to address those and there is no doubt every point all ready to deal with. They launched their court filing the day the news came down from Goodell. It's a coordinated attack. There is zero chance they uphold the full suspension and go like crazy after this if they weren't fully prepared to win.

I wouldn't bank on this being an easy case to get to injunction on. Might have that bite you in the ass as hard as the assurance many of your fans had that this would all be dropped to begin with. Or just as hard as it bit those who insisted he didn't destroy his phone that called out people as stupid for even suggesting it.

Suffice it to say the entire matter isn't fully closed, but either side saying it's a slam dunk in their favor is working off wishful thinking at this point.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Misko,

I think he can delay this court date for years. His team of lawyers certainly will and in the end he may just retire after another SB. Who knows. I am just throwing it out there.

Notice I have not said if he is guilty or not.
A court would know that this is a time sensitive issue and will not allow it to drag on. I doubt Brady can convince a judge to issue an injunction because Brady is the one at fault here. If what we surmise is true, and it does look like all of it is true, Brady broke the rules of the game. He apparently had a tiny conspiracy involved in breaking those rules. If all is true so far, he lied about his involvement and would not turn over evidence that might have cleared or condemned his name. He then destroyed the evidence to forever cover his tracts.
If essentially all of this is true, Brady is the bad guy and not the offices of the NFL.
If I was the judge, I would not reward an employee that did that. I would side with his employer.
Brady will miss his 4 games and is more than welcome to sue the NFL for that, but he wont be granted the injunction.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uhsplit, it's not brady filing the claims, it's the NFLPA on his behalf. Not a trivial difference.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uhsplit, it's not brady filing the claims, it's the NFLPA on his behalf. Not a trivial difference.
Yes, solid point.
With that in mind I feel the same way. Brady is the bad guy, not the NFL so IMO no injunction granted.
The NFLPA would have to convince a judge that Brady is being railroaded in this issue. If most of what we all have heard is accurate, then I don't see a reason to allow the injunction.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the league feels very good about it's case. There is nothing new (so far) from the NFLPA that the league office hasn't had months to prepare for and them having the jump on getting to the courts first shows how aggressive they are going to be on this.

Still, there is probably a lot more we don't know than things we do. I will be surprised if an injunction comes down, but not shocked. It might go either way.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is already ahead of Brady and his attorneys as they already filed in NY court for them to validate the verdict.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a lawyer, but supposedly it is done to try to set where an appeal would be heard. Like businesses always want cases heard in the 6th court of appeal, I'm sure there are friendly circuits to the plight of Brady. NFL trying to keep it in NY.

THey didnt want it in the MN courts they side for the players union

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will if he is granted the injuction. NFLPA will file that tomorrow morning, then we will just have to wait and see if it's granted.

And then the court case is done later in the year and Brady loses then and possibly have to sit out the playoffs?

Just sit out and get it over with

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's being missed in the conversation is Brady is a union employee. That is the reason/avenue it will be heard in court.
Right, and the Union would support him even if it was rap3 and not deflating balls. That's what Unions do.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what he gets for not... "Manning" up.

Had he been truthful from the start he would have been fined and all would be good in Bradyville.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next shot across the bow.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happens if JimmyG comes in and goes 4-0 with an insane TD/INT ratio? Does Tom get the Bledsoe treatment?

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, but "likely to prevail on the merits" should be able to be proven by Brady if what he is saying is accurate