• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL OT rules...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only change they should make would be to go back to sudden death regardless of type of score. Requiring a first possession TD is an OK change and it was served well. Making any other artificial rules to allow both teams to possess the ball are too gimicky. Offense is less than half the game. Make a play on defense or special teams if you don't get the ball first.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you but that ship has sailed....every league has to cater to the next generation of viewers. Now if only they would get rid of the college ot rules everything would be great.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suck. Plain and simple. I'm not taking away anything from the Patriots. It was an amazing comeback. But the OT rules should and probably will be changed soon.
Love the rules just the way they are. Keep the kickers out of it as much as possible and encourage teams to go for 6.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game wasn't lost by the coin toss
Game was lost because the Falcons D folded at the end of the game
Nothing wrong with OT rules
Instead of looking at OT rules maybe look at why a team loses a game after being up 28-3 in the 3rd quarter

Falcons D did fold, but they were hardly the cause of the loss.

ATL D faced 99 plays

NE D faced 49 plays

I agree there is nothing wrong with the OT rules...Bottom line

ATL - D has 5 sacks, Forced 2 turnovers including a score, gave the OFC a 3 possession lead with 15 mins to play.

ATL - O was 1-7 on 3rd down, had 9 rushes in the 2nd half, 7 pts in the 2nd half.

Patriots has the ball 17+ mins longer...a full Q +....Fatigue makes cowards of us all.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you but that ship has sailed....every league has to cater to the next generation of viewers. Now if only they would get rid of the college ot rules everything would be great.

College OT rules are the equivalent of penalty kicks, just awful.

Screw the millenials; they aren't going to watch anyway. Football is about tradition, not innovation.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread again....fucking millenials and their its not fair battle cry. Defense is part of the game. Hold the pats to a fg and they get the ball back. Cry me a river, no rule change needed.
It's not a millennial thing you tard. Clean the rust off your balls and quit bringing millennial this and that into everything. That's the discussion that gets old.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can respect both sides of this argument. NE won and I'm obviously thrilled. However, if ATL won the toss and went down and scored a TD, I would've been pissed after the come back they staged.

So putting aside how THIS game went.

I feel that coin toss gives an unfair advantage. The initial coin toss gives teams 60 minutes to recover from. The OT coin toss doesn't do that.

I understand it won't change in the regular season but it should for the playoffs.

It's good to be a Pats fan.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suck. Plain and simple. I'm not taking away anything from the Patriots. It was an amazing comeback. But the OT rules should and probably will be changed soon.

Simply.. Don't allow the opposition to score a TD on there initial OT drive... No need to change it....

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules now are way better than the sudden death overtime FG loss. That scenario truly was decided by a coin flip.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that coin toss gives an unfair advantage. The initial coin toss gives teams 60 minutes to recover from. The OT coin toss doesn't do that.

I understand it won't change in the regular season but it should for the playoffs.

It's good to be a Pats fan.

Does not matter, Atlanta won the initial coin toss, deferred. Pats get the ball, 3 and out.
They could of done the same in OT, but they decided not to come out of the locker room after halftime.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Using the college system would be the best... But it would be WAY better if they started further away so they weren't automatically in field goal range... Why the NFL hasn't fixed that yet is kinda mind boggling, they always have to complicate rules, competition committee makes head scratching decisions sometimes...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how heated of an argument this is. I'm happy NE benefitted by it. Well at least this time.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright I got it. The first 10 minutes of OT can be any score. So like the Pats could get 2 TDs and the Falcons get 0, it's not over. So based on the amount of deficit points you are down, it goes in tiers.

* If you are down < 7 you need to make a 55 yard field goal OR complete a play over 15 yards
* If you are > 7 but < 14 you have to score a TD and 2 point conversion AND kick the XP to be good
* If > 14 you have to score a TD and then get a turnover on the following possession, the opposing offense must run plays and cannot kneel the ball. They have 4 plays if they throw at least two passes but then 6 plays if they run the ball only.

If any of these conditions is met by the 'losing team' the process repeats itself. In the event it is not met the game is over and the team with the lead wins.

In the event of a tie after 10 minutes a two man sack race will be held consecutively for 3 minutes until a winner is crowned.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nowhere in the rule book does it say a team has to play both offense and defense during the course of a game....so even though highly improbable a team could control the ball for the entirety of a game ala tecmo bo jackson if they wanted to. placing a higher importance on being offense is dumb and reeks of "its not fair". as the saying goes defense wins championships..... and even more so in ot.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing a 5th quarter with a fixed time period would give an even bigger advantage to the team that won the coin toss. The team winning the coin toss would always take the ball regardless of field condition, wind direction, or personnel issues. If both teams scored on their 1st possession there would likely only be time for 1 more possession. Thus the team winning the toss would have 2 possessions with their opponents getting only 1.

I don't think anyone wants 15 minute overtime periods as standard in the regular season so having that rule for the playoffs would start a trend for making the game different in the playoffs.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing a 5th quarter with a fixed time period would give an even bigger advantage to the team that won the coin toss. The team winning the coin toss would always take the ball regardless of field condition, wind direction, or personnel issues. If both teams scored on their 1st possession there would likely only be time for 1 more possession. Thus the team winning the toss would have 2 possessions with their opponents getting only 1.

I don't think anyone wants 15 minute overtime periods as standard in the regular season so having that rule for the playoffs would start a trend for making the game different in the playoffs.

all ot periods have a fixed time period donovan.....

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright I got it. The first 10 minutes of OT can be any score. So like the Pats could get 2 TDs and the Falcons get 0, it's not over. So based on the amount of deficit points you are down, it goes in tiers.

* If you are down < 7 you need to make a 55 yard field goal OR complete a play over 15 yards
* If you are > 7 but < 14 you have to score a TD and 2 point conversion AND kick the XP to be good
* If > 14 you have to score a TD and then get a turnover on the following possession, the opposing offense must run plays and cannot kneel the ball. They have 4 plays if they throw at least two passes but then 6 plays if they run the ball only.

If any of these conditions is met by the 'losing team' the process repeats itself. In the event it is not met the game is over and the team with the lead wins.

In the event of a tie after 10 minutes a two man sack race will be held consecutively for 3 minutes until a winner is crowned.

you know if this were the case the officials would royally screw this up somehow

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But.......................

What if................................

This might help...................

Fembots-error.gif

5934062_women-dont-excuse-ashley-madisons-deceitful_aa30e908_m.gif