• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL OT rules...

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only change they should make would be to go back to sudden death regardless of type of score. Requiring a first possession TD is an OK change and it was served well. Making any other artificial rules to allow both teams to possess the ball are too gimicky. Offense is less than half the game. Make a play on defense or special teams if you don't get the ball first.

I agree sudden death college rules suck. Either do your job in reg or take your chances

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point you need to go to sudden death, but you could have a tie-breaking 5-minute period first, and a second if needed, and then go to sudden death. (More ads and money that way, too. You listening, NFL?)

Yeah, ultimately you can't get away from sudden death unless you want to turn it into a circus like CFB OT. I always had an issue with a FG on the 1st possession ending it, especially as kickers have gotten so much better. But I think it's fine to tell the defending team that they have to keep their opponent out of the end zone if they want a shot. There's still a small element of "unfairness" but I don't think that can be avoided. You could ensure each team an equal number of possessions but that could go on forever. As for last night the Falcons couldn't score so much as FG the final 20+ minutes. They have no gripe.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Essentially a coin toss decided a super bowl. Had Atlanta won the toss and marched down the field I'd feel the same way. It is a flawed system.

Well Atlanta gave up on the whole "marching down the field and scoring" thing halfway through the 3rd quarter, so it's hard to see how that would have suddenly changed in OT.