• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL...Not Patriots News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who didn't know or understand. What's been going on since Monday is a prelude to today. Everything and everyone that has been moving over the past 48 hours have agreed, not been signed. At 4:00 PM this afternoon, signatures can be put to paper and contracts for the 2024 season can become legal. At 4:00 PM today the 2024 NFL season officially begins.

Teams will be shedding contracts at 4:01 PM. This is what Calvin Ridley is waiting for. The Jags will be able to slice contracts off their 2024 salary cap officially and add some room. Warning was passed last night about midnight that the wind was blowing against the Patriots signing Ridley unless they really dump a huge offer in front him that he just can't refuse and the Jags cannot match.

It is being speculated that a significant number of players will suddenly be free agents before 4:15 PM, and more options will be available.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised there's no talk about the "swivel hip" hip-drop tackle being banned.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update..............................Owners vote to ban touching of QBs above the toes.

Owners vote to ban tackling of offensive players.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update..............................Owners vote to ban touching of QBs above the toes.

??????

W
e all knew this tackle was going to be gone. I feel like they should ban the offensive facemasking / hands to the face / stiffarm

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners are protecting dollars, not players.

'Nuff said.
Players equal dollars. How does banning the hip drop tackle protect dollars?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Banning the most likely to cause an injury type of tackle, not tackling.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners are protecting dollars, not players.

'Nuff said.
By keeping productive players on the field instead of in rehab?

Oops my bad, they are saving the costs of rehab!!! I see what you did there !!!

happy black and white GIF

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. If a defensive player did that, huge 15 yard penalty. I’ve always hated that an offensive player can do it.
But a counter argument is this: Before the face mask was added you couldn't tackle someone by grabbing the face. Once the mask was added it became almost too easy to tackle that way. On the other hand (not intentional), a stiff arm has always been part of the game and the face mask didn't change the execution of the move.

The above isn't a reflection of my opinion. It's just a rationale I can see being made.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damien Harris announced his retirement today at age 27. When not injured he was a helluva good RB.

According to google he made about 5.5 million. He seemed like a smart kid. Hopefully he's got something solid lined up.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But a counter argument is this: Before the face mask was added you couldn't tackle someone by grabbing the face. Once the mask was added it became almost too easy to tackle that way. On the other hand (not intentional), a stiff arm has always been part of the game and the face mask didn't change the execution of the move.

The above isn't a reflection of my opinion. It's just a rationale I can see being made.
Not sure where this comment is headed. My point was with all the changes that continually support the offense some considerations for the defense need to consider. It was easy for a defender to slide into the hip area because it allowed him from getting a face full rage which would otherwise hinder his ability to tackle the offensive player. It's a double standard when a defensive players hand so much as brushes the face mask of a QB RB or O linemen and bam the flags come out. But Derrick Henry can legally force your face to the back of the helmet. How long something has been around has nothing to do with it, rule changes take place all the time mostly to benefit the offense.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where this comment is headed. My point was with all the changes that continually support the offense some considerations for the defense need to consider. It was easy for a defender to slide into the hip area because it allowed him from getting a face full rage which would otherwise hinder his ability to tackle the offensive player. It's a double standard when a defensive players hand so much as brushes the face mask of a QB RB or O linemen and bam the flags come out. But Derrick Henry can legally force your face to the back of the helmet. How long something has been around has nothing to do with it, rule changes take place all the time mostly to benefit the offense.
How long it has been around has a lot to do with it. But as you mentioned, things change all the time. There are a lot of factors to consider before making changes. I don't think "we made this hard for the defense so we need to counter that with a restriction for the offense" plays into. While it may seem unfair to the defense, each team has an offense and defense so there isn't any actual unfairness to the team as a whole.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No helmet to helmet
No tackle to the knees or below
No horse collar tackle
No hitting of a defenseless player
No hip-drop tackle

I see the only way to tackle from behind is some kind of around the waist rodeo-style cow-takedown
… this is gonna be interesting

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a very large extent. I have never liked the stiff arm to the face by a runner or receiver. I have also thought that it's BS when either of O lineman or D lineman put their hands on an opposing player near the upper chest and the hand slides up BOOP facemask flag. It is very difficult to push a full grown man while trying to get leverage on him as he is also pushing you AND pull your hands down.

I know...different sports and ages, but I will say Soccer refs look for the intention.
If a hand is in a natural position and the ball bounces into the hand it is nota "Handball" foul because there was no intention.
If the hand is in an unnatural position then they can deem it intentional and call the foul.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long it has been around has a lot to do with it. But as you mentioned, things change all the time. There are a lot of factors to consider before making changes. I don't think "we made this hard for the defense so we need to counter that with a restriction for the offense" plays into. While it may seem unfair to the defense, each team has an offense and defense so there isn't any actual unfairness to the team as a whole.
Exactly. The fact that it is unfair to all defenses equally means it's not really unfair.

What was unfair was that the offensive player was much more likely to experience a game/season/career ending injury from this play.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No helmet to helmet
No tackle to the knees or below
No horse collar tackle
No hitting of a defenseless player
No hip-drop tackle

I see the only way to tackle from behind is some kind of around the waist rodeo-style cow-takedown
… this is gonna be interesting
You forgot clothes lines.