• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL MVP update

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, JMO, but like Brady or not, I think he's easily the better player. What criteria? Brady has better numbers this year than Rodgers while playing less games. His team has a better record. His best weapon is injured. His best ever season is better than Rodgers best year. He has many more SB appearances and wins. How is it close?

By my calculations, Brady has about 1500 yards less passing, 300 less yards rushing, and about 15 less total TD's this season

So not sure how he has better numbers than Rodgers unless we exclude all the most important numbers

I simply watch them play and see Rodgers constantly do things on a football field that Brady cant, make throws stationary or on the run that Brady cant

You talk about Brady losing his best weapon

he also has a RB leading the league in TD's, and 2 other RB's that are completely capable of being stars on most teams

Rodgers has a RB that was playing WR most of his NFL career

Rodgers has had to overcome a defense, that in their worst times this season, was giving up an average of 38 points a game, while Brady has the best coach the game has ever seen, and a defense that never seems to have a bad day

I think Rodgers is as close to a one man show as you find in the NFL, and the Packers without him would probably be about 2-14

Ive seen the Pats without Brady years ago win 10 games with the awful Matt Cassell, and this season, and would have been 4-0 had they not been down to their 3rd string QB in their one loss without Tom

Again, just my opinion, Brady obviously near the top, I just have Rodgers at the top of my list

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your a great coach, best currently and top 10 all-time, don't need to be considered coach of the year. I like the guys who turn around a shitty team. Like this year I like either Garrett, more so for putting up for JJ and Del Rio in Oakland, guy has made some ballsy decisions starting from the first game. The coach in Atl has done well too etc
I agree Sonny. I think BB cares about lifting the Lombardi and nothing else. I would also put him top 5 all-time.
I think Del Rio and Garrett deserve a ton of credit. It helps that they had the horses on offense. I think Gase deserves some mention for what he has done to get the Dolphins in as well.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, JMO, but like Brady or not, I think he's easily the better player. What criteria? Brady has better numbers this year than Rodgers while playing less games. His team has a better record. His best weapon is injured. His best ever season is better than Rodgers best year. He has many more SB appearances and wins. How is it close?

Fine to believe Brady is better than Rodgers but to say 'easily' is nonsense. Brady does not have better numbers despite playing less games (given that is your qualifier). Brady probably has better talent around him, certainly a better overall running game and defense, and if you want to talk best season ever, Rodgers holds the all time NFL record for highest QB rating in a season and career. More SB wins/appearances? So does Eli Manning. Your point?

You can make a case for either, but Rodgers is an all time player, and generally those guys just aren't easily bettered.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Ryan has been the best QB in the league this year. Rodgers and Brady have been very good ( as has Carr and Prescott) but Ryan has had the best year. I don't know if that equates to him being most VALUABLE but it does equate to him being the best in 2016.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my calculations, Brady has about 1500 yards less passing, 300 less yards rushing, and about 15 less total TD's this season

So not sure how he has better numbers than Rodgers unless we exclude all the most important numbers

I simply watch them play and see Rodgers constantly do things on a football field that Brady cant, make throws stationary or on the run that Brady cant

You talk about Brady losing his best weapon

he also has a RB leading the league in TD's, and 2 other RB's that are completely capable of being stars on most teams

Rodgers has a RB that was playing WR most of his NFL career

Rodgers has had to overcome a defense, that in their worst times this season, was giving up an average of 38 points a game, while Brady has the best coach the game has ever seen, and a defense that never seems to have a bad day

I think Rodgers is as close to a one man show as you find in the NFL, and the Packers without him would probably be about 2-14

Ive seen the Pats without Brady years ago win 10 games with the awful Matt Cassell, and this season, and would have been 4-0 had they not been down to their 3rd string QB in their one loss without Tom

Again, just my opinion, Brady obviously near the top, I just have Rodgers at the top of my list

It's pretty obvious if you ask yourself who is more valuable to their team and the easy answer is Rodgers. If they finish the job vs Detroit when most wrote off the Pack this year and said Rodgers was in decline to take them from that to division champs is impressive.

This is the worst GB defense since Rodgers first took over in 2008 not counting the one season he missed half of the year in 2013. Their defense during the losing streak were relinquishing nearly 40 ppg. This is the worst rushing offense since Rodgers became the starter. Rodgers at one point was the leading rusher. Now they're depending on a backup that was released from Seattle and a WR to convert to RB. In terms of head coach McCarthy is easily the most overrated in the NFL and is probably not much better than the Chargers head coach who was fired this season. His supporting team around him is no where near the level of the other MVP candidates yet he's posting comparable #'s and some even better #'s despite the team around him.

If you replace Rodgers with an average QB I'd say this team is lucky to win 4 games. If you replace The Cowboys QB, Pats QB, and Falcons QB with an average QB I'd say both the Cowboys and Pats make the playoffs still and the Falcons would have 8 wins.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep....going to be fun to see the spins after the announcement

most valuable or best player?

this should be fun

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you replace Rodgers with an average QB I'd say this team is lucky to win 4 games. If you replace The Cowboys QB, Pats QB, and Falcons QB with an average QB I'd say both the Cowboys and Pats make the playoffs still and the Falcons would have 8 wins.
sell it!

who knew with 700 additional rushing yards the 4-12 cowboys woulda been a playoff team

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sell it!

who knew with 700 additional rushing yards the 4-12 cowboys woulda been a playoff team

Your defense went from 16th to 4th in one year. Combine that with the best O-line in the NFL and a great WR corps I'd say the RB and QB could both be average and they would post major numbers and still make the postseason.

Put Alex Smith and Todd Gurley on this team and they would still make the postseason and would both have their best seasons ever.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep....going to be fun to see the spins after the announcement

most valuable or best player?

this should be fun

Traditionally it goes to one of the top performing players with a team that has either the best record or an offense that is blowing teams away. Cowboys are close to that but they have two candidates which makes it difficult for one to win. Pats would be the next qualifier due to record but the 4 missed games end Brady for many voters. After that it would go to the best all around offense which has been the Falcons and Matt Ryan has been good enough to be in the conversation so he should win. I disagree with it but I believe he will win.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Dal 90's O-line isn't the GOAT they're easily in the top 5. Right now it remains to be seen how good this Dal O-line is but right now they have a combined 10 pro bowls and assume 2 maybe three will make the all pro team this year.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pats QB replacement I can see, based on 3-1. I don't know about Dallas....Prescott has been pretty good but Dallas doesn't really ask him to work the full load. That's a run-oriented offense and Prescott has benefitted greatly from it. He looks to be steps above Brandon Weeden but E. Elliot is putting up an all time rookie type rushing year.

This year alone, I think Ryan has really carried his share. I know the competition was weak when J. Jones was out, but Ryan never missed a beat. No way do I think the Falcons have 8 wins without Ryan.

GB would be kinda funny without Rodgers. 4-12 funny.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your defense went from 16th to 4th in one year. Combine that with the best O-line in the NFL and a great WR corps I'd say the RB and QB could both be average and they would post major numbers and still make the postseason.

Put Alex Smith and Todd Gurley on this team and they would still make the postseason and would both have their best seasons ever.
My question is this...why are the Packers in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs? I see you on here all the time spouting off about how great your defensive talent is...about Jordy and Cobb...about your great QB...why are y'all this close to staying home for the holidays? And if you say injuries, I'm gonna laugh in your face

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,740.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats QB replacement I can see, based on 3-1. I don't know about Dallas....Prescott has been pretty good but Dallas doesn't really ask him to work the full load. That's a run-oriented offense and Prescott has benefitted greatly from it. He looks to be steps above Brandon Weeden but E. Elliot is putting up an all time rookie type rushing year.

This year alone, I think Ryan has really carried his share. I know the competition was weak when J. Jones was out, but Ryan never missed a beat. No way do I think the Falcons have 8 wins without Ryan.

On that note, with the Hawks OL woes, I'd hate to imagine the Hawks w/out Wilson...

Back to the topic... I would give the MVP to A.Rodgers at this point... Very tough between he and Ryan... Rodgers 1A, Ryan 1B at this point... Could come down to this weekend that will determine who get's the MVP between those two...

IMO, Ezekiel Elliott has been a great rookie but he's shouldn't even be mentioned in the MVP discussion... Especially if the discussion doesn't involve David Johnson first...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Cowboys were 4-12 last year LMAO. Same OLine, same WR's, same TE, same defensive personnel...but Dam is "pretty good" and Rodgers is Superman. Carry on

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For Dal it was based on exactly what you said. That defense makes it so that if Dal scores 22 points on offense they will win the game 9/10 times. All Dak has to do is hand the rock off and throw the dink dunk passes and not make stupid mistakes and they win.

As for Ryan, he isn't asked to run, and does have a running game that can close out games. Also his #'s and success is mainly due to the NFC South being terrible this year especially on the defensive side of the ball. Also he doesn't have to throw the deep ball often as he can trust Julio and company to get huge YAC. About 66% of his passes are from 10 yards and in which he's completing almost 80% of his passes. A third of his passes are 11+ yards which he's completing just over 50% of his passes. An average QB like Alex Smith would be able to win 8 games with that team and with their schedule.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note, with the Hawks OL woes, I'd hate to imagine the Hawks w/out Wilson...

Back to the topic... I would give the MVP to A.Rodgers at this point... Very tough between he and Ryan... Rodgers 1A, Ryan 1B at this point... Could come down to this weekend that will determine who get's the MVP between those two...

IMO, Ezekiel Elliott has been a great rookie but he's shouldn't even be mentioned in the MVP discussion... Especially if the discussion doesn't involve David Johnson first...

I agree that it might come down to this week. If the vote ended today I think it would go to Ryan.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Ryan, he isn't asked to run, and does have a running game that can close out games. Also his #'s and success is mainly due to the NFC South being terrible this year especially on the defensive side of the ball. Also he doesn't have to throw the deep ball often as he can trust Julio and company to get huge YAC. About 66% of his passes are from 10 yards and in which he's completing almost 80% of his passes. A third of his passes are 11+ yards which he's completing just over 50% of his passes. An average QB like Alex Smith would be able to win 8 games with that team and with their schedule.

I'll definitely argue the Alex Smith logic. I'm not gonna look up the numbers but I can't see Smith going downfield anywhere near what Ryan does, and at least Smith has a defense behind him. Atlanta's is...well I'll give them average at best and leave it at that. I'll give you the NFCS division reasoning though.

I think his year, regardless of the outside components, is still way out there and it would take an all time season from anyone not named Brady/Brees/Rodgers to do what he's doing.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time the regular season MVP won the SB?
Some quick research tells me it was Terrell Davis in 1998 and then Brett Favre before that in 1996.

I can see why some people like Matt Ryan for MVP, but I'd really like to hear people justify Tom Brady. I haven't looked at all candidates, but here are the reasons I'd take Aaron Rodgers over Brady:

1) The Patriots weren't a whole lot worse for the wear when the backup QBs were in, in the first 4 games, including two playoff teams. 3-1 with no INTs.

2) LeGarrette Blount has had a phenomenal season, scoring 17 TDs thus far. The Packers didn't have a rushing TD by a RB until their 11th game, and that was a fullback. In fact their whole running game this year has been extremely unsettled, putting extra pressure on Rodgers to perform.

3) Defenses. The Patriots have given up 15.7 PPG to the Packers' 24.2 PPG. A lot more pressure is on the QB that knows he has to score 4 TDs per game to have a chance to win.