• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL must change OT rules

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Ahead Reaction GIF

Im so damn smart

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there has always been dissatisfaction with the OT rules. If not the Bills game, the next important OT game likely triggers the same reaction. Your attack at the East Coast media is a bit exaggerated.

That said, the Bills did indeed choke. 13 seconds of defense and 40ish yards was all they needed to avoid OT.
Is it exaggerated? When the Chiefs brought this up when this thread started, no other teams cared. The Bills didnt care.

What changed?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it exaggerated? When the Chiefs brought this up when this thread started, no other teams cared. The Bills didnt care.

What changed?

The change is that it happened in a playoff game and recency bias is in play. It's only an issue when the first team scores a TD, which is silly as well.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The change is that it happened in a playoff game and recency bias is in play. It's only an issue when the first team scores a TD, which is silly as well.
Recency bias isnt in play. This thread was started after the KC/NE AFCCG. In last year's playoffs, the coin flip was 1-1.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recency bias isnt in play. This thread was started after the KC/NE AFCCG. In last year's playoffs, the coin flip was 1-1.

I can't speak to the reaction after that game? For me, the process didn't affect the Bills game either. Play defense.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak to the reaction after that game? For me, the process didn't affect the Bills game either. Play defense.
I get you. I dont think Bills fans acted in any way different than any other fanbase would.

That Bills/Chiefs game apparently was a major game changer in how the NFL looked at their own teams. Even before you get to the OT stuff you have tweets about how 'if your QB cant do this then you have no chance'. The perception that the league is all about offense right now and Allen and Mahomes will be around for 10+ years and they both dismantled the Patriots and Steelers to get to that game.

I think what is missing from that viewpoint is that the Chiefs were missing their best player in the secondary and the Bills just generally had the wrong coverage at the end of that game. Thats not what championship level football looks like. The Super Bowl was what championship level football looks like. Both teams played defense.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is: IF the Bills v Chiefs game didn't happen would there be such a huge outcry and the league changing the rules?

Maybe not, but both teams not having a chance on offense in OT has always been a point of contention.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what is missing from that viewpoint is that the Chiefs were missing their best player in the secondary and the Bills just generally had the wrong coverage at the end of that game. Thats not what championship level football looks like. The Super Bowl was what championship level football looks like. Both teams played defense.

Bills were also missing their best player in their secondary in Tre'Davious White, whom I assume most would place above anyone missing (or playing) in the Chiefs secondary.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not simplify all of this and have the team that loses the game opening coin flip have OT first possession? Teams can then plan accordingly should the game be approaching OT.
Alternatively award the coin flip to whichever team has it's defense on the field the most in the 28 minutes between half-time and the 2-minute warning. That would minimise complaints about tired defenses and player safety.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2021 rule made taking the ball first a no-brainer decision. The new rule has arguments for taking the ball first and arguments for the 2nd possession being advantageous. It must be better than it was. To me the chance to win with any 3rd possession score would still entice me take the ball first.