• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL must change OT rules

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League is just going to keep changing the rules every time Josh Allen loses a playoff game

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not talking baseball here and if I am correct doesn't the away team have the last at bat?

Why would you reward a team by chance and not play. Both team getting the ball allows both offenses and both defenses the opportunity to directly effect the outcome of the game/
Maybe they should give them 3 chances?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is: IF the Bills v Chiefs game didn't happen would there be such a huge outcry and the league changing the rules?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is: IF the Bills v Chiefs game didn't happen would there be such a huge outcry and the league changing the rules?
None. Zero outcry.

This happened because a bunch of (probably East Coast) media people saw the Bills destroy the Patriots, proclaimed the Bills the best team in the league, saw the Bills choke, and demanded the rule be changed even though the Bengals proved that the Bills werent the best team in the AFC.

Last edited:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess defense isn't important anymore...

I am fine with keeping it the way it was... I get why most people like this change but I personally don't

Like Cincy winning with a FG last year after they stopped KC with an INT on their first kick at the can.

Funny how defences become red headed step children in this discussion.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None. Zero outcry.

This happened because a bunch of (probably East Coast) media people saw the Bills destroy the Patriots, proclaimed the Bills the best team in the league, saw the Bills choke, and demanded the rule be changed even though the Bengals proved that the Bills werent the best team in the AFC.

Stop it! Stop making sense

How Dare You Greta GIF

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No- if they get a TD and get the two points, it’s game over is my understanding. It’s not mathematically sound to do so generally speaking though so it’s not super likely to happen.
It seems like it is mathematically sound to go for 2 if you're the second team with the ball. Imagine the first team scores and takes the pat kick to go up by 7. You score a td on your drive. You can either kick for the tie, which is like tying a game up on the last play, knowing the other team will win the coin toss in sudden death, or you can go for 2 to win the game. I think the math would say to go for 2.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like it is mathematically sound to go for 2 if you're the second team with the ball. Imagine the first team scores and takes the pat kick to go up by 7. You score a td on your drive. You can either kick for the tie, which is like tying a game up on the last play, knowing the other team will win the coin toss in sudden death, or you can go for 2 to win the game. I think the math would say to go for 2.
ONE THING IS CLEAR
OT in playoff football REQUIRES the coin toss winner defer

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ONE THING IS CLEAR
It's not that clear to me, the way I understand the rule. I think you still might want to take the ball first. But I haven't thought it all the way through.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ONE THING IS CLEAR

So there is STILL a coin flip in this new rules in OT huh?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Cincy winning with a FG last year after they stopped KC with an INT on their first kick at the can.

Funny how defences become red headed step children in this discussion.
Yep, only one week later and it worked just fine but let's get in a tizzy about the week before that would not have even happened but for the worst 13 seconds of coaching in history.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ONE THING IS CLEAR
I've been seeing some talk about this and it kinda makes sense but it may depend on circumstances. If I'm a head coach with a good defense that isn't too gassed and the other team hasn't done shit the entire second half, absolutely defer. But if my defense is getting their butts kicked, I want my offense to take the ball and score to A) give my D a rest and B) make the other team have to score and go for every 4th down.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League is just going to keep changing the rules every time Josh Allen loses a playoff game
I think that was media driven more than anything. A lot of posts I've seen from Bills fans accepted it as it was. This has been coming for a long time though. There was a lot of noise when MVP Mahomes didn't get the ball and Brady scored in the 18 AFCCG.. And back in the 14 NFCCG, MVP Rodgers never got the ball and everyone was screaming at the skies despite McCarthy's inept second half coaching and some boneheaded ST play by the Packers. This is honestly not a new thing. In this case, the league is just giving in. I still don't know why they are. It's not like this rule is going to make a difference on the bottom line. Ratings a revenue will be exactly the same regardless.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was media driven more than anything. A lot of posts I've seen from Bills fans accepted it as it was. This has been coming for a long time though. There was a lot of noise when MVP Mahomes didn't get the ball and Brady scored in the 18 AFCCG.. And back in the 14 NFCCG, MVP Rodgers never got the ball and everyone was screaming at the skies despite McCarthy's inept second half coaching and some boneheaded ST play by the Packers. This is honestly not a new thing. In this case, the league is just giving in. I still don't know why they are. It's not like this rule is going to make a difference on the bottom line. Ratings a revenue will be exactly the same regardless.
To me, it seems like they're trying to make the Super Bowl more about QBs than the coaches. You know what the Chiefs did after they lost their coin flip against the Patriots? We fired our defensive coordinator. Its on film during the Chiefs '13 seconds' where Kelce noticed the Bills playing the wrong defense. Bills had one of the top defenses in the country and they were just coached wrong and the Chiefs took advantage.

One thing the Patriots dynasty did is that they made things about the team. They ran onto the field as a team. They were perceived as a dominant team led by the GOAT and a great coach. Then Brady left New England. Now its just star players. No longer about the team.

And I get it. The NFL is a global TV product. They dont want people getting attached to teams. They want people getting attached to the stars. But f' that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None. Zero outcry.

Well, there has always been dissatisfaction with the OT rules. If not the Bills game, the next important OT game likely triggers the same reaction. Your attack at the East Coast media is a bit exaggerated.

That said, the Bills did indeed choke. 13 seconds of defense and 40ish yards was all they needed to avoid OT.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not simplify all of this and have the team that loses the game opening coin flip have OT first possession? Teams can then plan accordingly should the game be approaching OT.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was so disappointing to not see Mahomes get a chance to match Brady with a TD of his own.

IMO no matter what the team does in the opening possession, the other team should be get the ball back to try and match it.

After that then you can go to sudden death.

I'm perfectly fine if they would only use this formula in the playoffs.

Go Ahead Reaction GIF