• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Media

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nobody equated those 2 names.

Did anyone consider the fact that "Redskin" sounds a lot like the word "pigskin?" It could simply be a play on words.

Are you suggesting that they are advocating making footballs out of Native Americans?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Are you suggesting that they are advocating making footballs out of Native Americans?

[sarcasm]Yes. That is exactly what I was suggesting.[/sarcasm]

By the way, I wonder if the people who think the Redskins is a racist name think the Cleveland Indians is a racist name too. It's pretty much the same thing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By the way, I wonder if the people who think the Redskins is a racist name think the Cleveland Indians is a racist name too. It's pretty much the same thing.

This is what I was trying to ask someone about the Utes when they said they were ok with the Chiefs but impliedly not the Redskins. You could substitute Indians for Utes, with the exception that Indian is incorrect. I also referenced the term, "Indian" as more ignorant than offensive (unless being from India would be insulting, too). What someone mistakenly calls someone is only as insulting as what it would be if they were correct (unless being incorrect was the insult due to its purposefulness).

That might sound convoluted, but think about it this way: If I called person A as person B, it's not an insult unless being person B is a bad thing or I purposely called him the wrong person as an insult (like calling a boy a girl is in an insult, but calling a girl that won't necessarily be).

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Indians have a stupid name too for the same reason, but in my mind baseball doesn't exist so I don't feel the need to comment on them, but yes it's stupid. Utes too.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear I'd probably stop short of calling it racist. I just think it's stupid/ignorant to name any sports team after a race of people. I don't fault anyone of that race for feeling bothered by it. As a Hispanic i wouldn't support a team called "beaners" or "Latinos" or anything along those lines, but similar to the chiefs I did support the Albuquerque Dukes which had a Spaniard mascot. Having a mascot who happens to belong to a certain culture isn't as stupid as just calling your team that race or worse a slur for that race.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
To be clear I'd probably stop short of calling it racist. I just think it's stupid/ignorant to name any sports team after a race of people. I don't fault anyone of that race for feeling bothered by it.:10:

Just out of curiosity, do you actually know any "Native Americans" who are truly bothered by the name Redskins? If so, I'd be curious to know why.

As you can probably tell, I'm really sensitive to people being compelled, manipulated or forced into doing / not doing, saying / not saying things in the name of not offending anyone (or at least not offending people who are friends of the media). Political correctness has run amuck IMO; so when I see something like people crying foul over the name of a sports team, I get pretty annoyed.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, do you actually know any "Native Americans" who are truly bothered by the name Redskins? If so, I'd be curious to know why.

As you can probably tell, I'm really sensitive to people being compelled, manipulated or forced into doing / not doing, saying / not saying things in the name of not offending anyone (or at least not offending people who are friends of the media). Political correctness has run amuck IMO; so when I see something like people crying foul over the name of a sports team, I get pretty annoyed.

Yes I do. I live in New Mexico there is about 9 different pueblos in my surrounding area. When I was growing up all those pueblos sent their kids to my school cause it was the closet one. I have as many native friends as non native friends. Some of them are fans of all the native based teams, others are offended by them for basically the reason I've given. They think they've been marginalized to the point where no one thinks it's weird that their race is an acceptable mascot. Again I don't blame them cause I also think it's stupid. No other races would be as tolerated as team mascots and you really can't deny that.

I also agree political correctness has run a muck and people cry to damn much. Worst of all are people who go to comedy shows and throw a fit because a comedian told a joke about a group they belong to. I challenge these people all the time. As I said in my first post, I don't give a fuck about political correctness. I think for myself and reject any pressure to confirm to popular thought. I just think races are shitty mascots for sports teams. If 49ers became the China Town Yellow Men, I'd find it stupid, even though China Town obviously has a strong Asian culture.

It's weird to me that you seem unable to understand how it could bother some people, especially people with such a long history of being marginalized.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we keep the Redskins, I propose changing the Giants to the NY Jews, after all NY has the 2nd highest Jewish population behind Tel Aviv. There is more Jews in NY than Natives in Washington too. I'm sure Jews would have some argument against it, but who cares cause this is 'merica.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yes I do. I live in New Mexico there is about 9 different pueblos in my surrounding area. When I was growing up all those pueblos sent their kids to my school cause it was the closet one. I have as many native friends as non native friends. Some of them are fans of all the native based teams, others are offended by them for basically the reason I've given. They think they've been marginalized to the point where no one thinks it's weird that their race is an acceptable mascot. Again I don't blame them cause I also think it's stupid. No other races would be as tolerated as team mascots and you really can't deny that.

I also agree political correctness has run a muck and people cry to damn much. Worst of all are people who go to comedy shows and throw a fit because a comedian told a joke about a group they belong to. I challenge these people all the time. As I said in my first post, I don't give a fuck about political correctness. I think for myself and reject any pressure to confirm to popular thought. I just think races are shitty mascots for sports teams. If 49ers became the China Town Yellow Men, I'd find it stupid, even though China Town obviously has a strong Asian culture.

It's weird to me that you seem unable to understand how it could bother some people, especially people with such a long history of being marginalized.

That's a pretty fair post. I don't hold it against the friends you have to be offended by it. On the other hand, it is just a sports team; so I hope they don't take it as a life or death issue...

Honestly, I think the real issue behind the Redskins name is that it's the offseason, and the NFL media doesn't have any news to report; so they bring this out to get people to keep their attention on the NFL. They wouldn't have to do that for diehard fans like us, but I guess it's working with the layfan.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In May 2011, in response to a Tennessee State Legislature bill that prohibited school teachers or students from using any language that alludes to the existence of homosexuality (the "Don't Say Gay" bill), Takei released another PSA in which he offered up his name, suggesting that people could just substitute that for 'gay'. For example, they could support Takei Marriage or watch Takei Pride Parades; or even use slurs like That's so Takei.

George Takei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In May 2011, in response to a Tennessee State Legislature bill that prohibited school teachers or students from using any language that alludes to the existence of homosexuality (the "Don't Say Gay" bill), Takei released another PSA in which he offered up his name, suggesting that people could just substitute that for 'gay'. For example, they could support Takei Marriage or watch Takei Pride Parades; or even use slurs like That's so Takei.

George Takei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok. I'm failing to see the relevance to NFL media.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oops. I did a search for the term homosexual (looking for a relevant thread like the Culliver one that is now closed) and a post came up from this thread (the one about the football player making it his cause to support gay marriage). I clicked on the post and for some reason thought it was from the BS thread. My fault.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Since the NBA/NHL playoffs are going on and it applies to all sports but the term "Playoff Experience" is highly overrated in the media.

The stakes are clearly higher in a playoff game than a regular season game but the media makes it sound like the game is magically played different in the playoffs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Every time I see that homer Teddy Bruschi open his mouth, I want to punch him in the face. I can't even think of a worse NFL analyst right now.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Every time I see that homer Teddy Bruschi open his mouth, I want to punch him in the face. I can't even think of a worse NFL analyst right now.

On TV I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that's worse.

When it comes to everything Pete Prisco comes to mind immediately as being worse.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Reilly: My top 20 NFL coaches - ESPN

Not only a grade A narcissist but an idiot as well.

Bill Walsh at 8 while Belichick is at 4 and Joe Gibbs at 2?!?

First he dismisses Bill Walsh because of Montana but when it comes to Belichick he got all the credit for making Tom Brady the QB he is.

What horrible and idiotic logic. Walsh was instrumental in making Montana who he was and you could argue the same with Steve Young.

Walsh's offensive concepts and offensive system is still used in the NFL today and will be for the foreseeable future.

Heck not just Walsh but how do you have Chuck Noll at 9? Because he had one QB and that was Bradshaw?

Tom Landry at 6? Is pretty stupid as well and I don't even like the Cowboys.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Rick Reilly:

"Paul Brown -- I have him ahead of Walsh because without Brown, there would be no Walsh."

Wrong! Best coach in NFL history: Paul Brown's parents. Because without them, there would be no Paul Brown nor Bill Walsh.

And Don Shula ahead of freekin' Chuck Noll? Are you kidding me? That's one of the stupidest articles I've ever seen someone write about football.

This is the kind of crap I was talking about.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Rick Reilly:

"Paul Brown -- I have him ahead of Walsh because without Brown, there would be no Walsh."

Wrong! Best coach in NFL history: Paul Brown's parents. Because without them, there would be no Paul Brown nor Bill Walsh.

And Don Shula ahead of freekin' Chuck Noll? Are you kidding me? That's one of the stupidest articles I've ever seen someone write about football.

This is the kind of crap I was talking about.

His logic is so terrible it's like he's a fanboy writing a trolling article.

If you want to use the same logic he did with Paul Brown he should have Jim Lee Howell at #1 because he had both Landry and Lombardi as coordinators on his staff at the same time.

And following that logic should Parcells be ahead of Belichick?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oops. I did a search for the term homosexual (looking for a relevant thread like the Culliver one that is now closed) and a post came up from this thread (the one about the football player making it his cause to support gay marriage). I clicked on the post and for some reason thought it was from the BS thread. My fault.

Ahh, this one I think meets the relevance to NFL Media, but lacks in it being news. People have their views and they can have them both ways. People can criticize them for their views and people can criticize the criticism and so on. I know gay marriage is a bigger issue in the media, but what if he had said he supports a flat tax? Just kidding. This stuff will be news for awhile.

Adrian Peterson of Minnesota Vikings says he is against gay marriage