• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Media

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To change the subject a little back to sports media...

Forgive the weird, specific pet peeve, but the use of the word "dynamic" is getting out of control in sports media. Tom Waddle said of the Rams' 2013 draft, "The Rams were dynamic." :exploding:

You're right, that is stupid! – Based on the context of Waddle’s comment, you should have written "...the [misuse] of the word Dynamic..."

There is, of course, nothing wrong with correct use of the word Dynamic.

Fricken Waddle :laugh3:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What I hate is when media types zero in too much into the past.

Bringing up things like X team hasn't beaten Y team at home in 20 years.

Or a more specific example concerning us with that game at Seattle last year in giving that game waaaay more importance than it actually has.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or a more specific example concerning us with that game at Seattle last year in giving that game waaaay more importance than it actually has.

...And yet X team has only played the Y team at home twice in 20 years - I am right there with you on this one. They make it sound like it is a big deal when it means nothing at all.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...And yet X team has only played the Y team at home twice in 20 years - I am right there with you on this one. They make it sound like it is a big deal when it means nothing at all.

I can see it better if it is coach v coach and similarly talented teams, but even then it has too many problems and 20 years and the like us too long anyway. (I.e. Jerry Sloan and Lenny Wilkins or something).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Hicks" don't even use the term. Nobody does.

What about the Seminoles? The difference is that the "Seminoles" or "Rediskins" have a long-established historical significance to the area, whereas "Jews" or "Blacks" wouldn't make any sense.

What if it was the Montgomery (Alabama) Blacks? Or the Carolina Blacks?

What if football went in international and we had the West Bank Jews? Maybe the Berlin Jews, or the Auschwitz Jews.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To change the subject a little back to sports media...

Forgive the weird, specific pet peeve, but the use of the word "dynamic" is getting out of control in sports media. Tom Waddle said of the Rams' 2013 draft, "The Rams were dynamic." :exploding:

So is "dominant" and "elite". Especially in the NBA.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What if football went in international and we had the West Bank Jews? Maybe the Berlin Jews, or the Auschwitz Jews.

The Blacks does not work in the situation using Seminoles because they are a tribe. They are proud to be Seminoles. It does work for Redskins though.

Jews are not a Race but a person who follows a religion. Like Muslims are made up of all races.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jews are not a Race but a person who follows a religion.

That's not necessarily true. A person can be a Jew by birth (of Hebrew descent), but they can also follow the Judiasm. A person could be either or both; the two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

That wouldn't make as much sense as the Seminoles, but this is a bit of a non-sequitur. "Blacks" is not a racial slur. Neither is the pseudo-word word "blackskin," which I've never heard used in my entire life.

The gripe people are making is that they're saying the word "Redskin" is a racial slur. It's not.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wouldn't make as much sense as the Seminoles, but this is a bit of a non-sequitur. "Blacks" is not a racial slur. Neither is the pseudo-word word "blackskin," which I've never heard used in my entire life.

The gripe people are making is that they're saying the word "Redskin" is a racial slur. It's not.

Technically, it may not be a 'racial slur', but I think the overarching point has more to do with the term being 'offensive' than being a 'racial slur', even if the words (racial slur) were used.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one says that the Celtics are racist. Its the same as the Seminoles.

Yankee was slang by British soldiers used to make fun of American settlers. Instead now it is used proudly by the people it once disparaged.

Redneck while not a team is used the same way as redskin. People hated rednecks. They took the name and people are proud to be rednecks. Most people think rednecks are called that from sunburned necks but it is actually Scottish people who wore a blood stained cloth around their necks and fought the British. They lost and fled to Ireland and then after a short stay there fled to the US and the British people kicked them from the coast line into the Appalachians. Redneck was used and is still used very derogatory. Buy, I bet if the Redskins were the Rednecks no one would be saying shit about the derogatory meaning and the rednecks would actually like the name. (I am actually a redneck by heritage)

Indians should take the term redskin and turn it into something positive for themselves. (I am also part Indian by heritage. My great grandmother is Mohican Most of my family looks white except for one uncle who looks like he is full Indian) I am tired and rambling on.

My point I guess is words are only offensive if you take them to be offensive. If you take that same word and make it something to be proud of then instead of being used to demean someone it it making them even more proud.

Black people do it all the time with ****a. Once a bad thing now if you listen to rap music they use it to describe themselves in a positive light. They become proud of being one. Once that happens then the whole meaning of the word changes into something good for them.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point I guess is words are only offensive if you take them to be offensive. If you take that same word and make it something to be proud of then instead of being used to demean someone it it making them even more proud.

Black people do it all the time with ****a. Once a bad thing now if you listen to rap music they use it to describe themselves in a positive light. They become proud of being one. Once that happens then the whole meaning of the word changes into something good for them.

Ok, if the last paragraph is true... go walk up to a black man and call him a "****a" and see what happens. Even if you yourself are a black man, they will probably get offended, but if you are a white guy.... you better just turn and run cause you are probably about to get your ass kicked. Go ask Bill Cosby what he thinks of that word, and the people who use it. You aren't going to catch too many people outside of the music industry calling each other ****a.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Richmond Times-Dispatch : Woody: American Indians in Va. have no problem with "Redskins"

Two issues

1) If the response is "How can you say it's offensive or not since you're not Native American" when someone says the term isn't offensive than the whole subject should be dropped if Native Americans mostly don't find it offensive or don't care one way or another.

Granted the article is a small sample size and it shouldn't reflect the majority of Native Americans feelings but it does bring up the point that maybe you should actually find out what the majority of Native Americans feel about the name "Redskins" before determining if Native Americans find the name offensive and requesting the name to be changed because it's offensive.

2) I'll give PFT some time since this is a fresh article but they are quick to front page and post anything that's news concerning the name and why it should be changed so I hope they post on this as well.

As I mentioned before I don't think an NFL site should have a liberal or conservative political agenda and focus on simple NFL news and give their thoughts and teams, players, and etc.

But if you're going to go the political route you should post everything that's newsworthy whether it supports your political beliefs or not. But it's clear that ProFootballTalk and ProBaseballTalk both have liberal agendas and they are lousy at hiding it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok, if the last paragraph is true... go walk up to a black man and call him a "****a" and see what happens. Even if you yourself are a black man, they will probably get offended, but if you are a white guy.... you better just turn and run cause you are probably about to get your ass kicked. Go ask Bill Cosby what he thinks of that word, and the people who use it. You aren't going to catch too many people outside of the music industry calling each other ****a.

I think everything you said was valid except the bold part. I hear black people call each other ****a all the time. Not all of them, but it doesn't exactly reflect very well on the ones who do.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here white people call each other ****as Brazilians too. Heck almost everyone is calling themselves and other ****as. I have black friends and coworkers they use it the most for all races. And we use it for them too. Times are changing

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everything you said was valid except the bold part. I hear black people call each other ****a all the time. Not all of them, but it doesn't exactly reflect very well on the ones who do.
I was kind of just saying that because it is more of a "street" thing. Not too many Stanford grads calling each other ****a.

Here white people call each other ****as Brazilians too. Heck almost everyone is calling themselves and other ****as. I have black friends and coworkers they use it the most for all races. And we use it for them too. Times are changing
99% of the time this is going to cause a problem when someone other than a black person is using the word. And that is using the word with an "a" at the end. See how well it goes when "er" is used at the end. How is Kramers career going?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was kind of just saying that because it is more of a "street" thing. Not too many Stanford grads calling each other ****a.

Good point.

99% of the time this is going to cause a problem when someone other than a black person is using the word. And that is using the word with an "a" at the end. See how well it goes when "er" is used at the end. How is Kramers career going?

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is getting ridiculous. I'm not all that interested in how Seminole got into this discussion, but to try to equate it to Redskin is stupid.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This is getting ridiculous. I'm not all that interested in how Seminole got into this discussion, but to try to equate it to Redskin is stupid.

Nobody equated those 2 names.

Did anyone consider the fact that "Redskin" sounds a lot like the word "pigskin?" It could simply be a play on words.