• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Media

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You know who always wears sandals? Raiders. And by "Raiders" I mean Mexican people in Mexico. I'm going to start using "Raiders" as a racial slur. It's now a racial slur, and I'm going to start using is purely for shock value.

The Oakland Raiders should now change their names.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is the term "Redskin" by itself a slur?

What I mean is you can make a lot of things sound like a slur if you add the right adjectives or context to it.

Like if I said "All those stupid Mexicans are taking all of our jobs" makes it sounds the term Mexican is a slur when it's really not. Yes the statement would be a derogatory remark but the actual word Mexican wouldn't be offensive word.

I just consider and think of the term Redskin as more as slang than slur like how we call African Americans black, Caucasians white, Latinos brown, and Asian's as yellow. It's just nowadays the more non PC way to refer to them would be Indians and the term has lost it's use in today's English language.

In context of the actual football team I wouldn't go as far as saying it honors Native Americans but I don't think it's intended to be a slight against them either. I mean who would name their team after something they don't like or hate?

Yeah, calling an Asian yellow is a slur to some, but a Caucasian as white or an African-American black isn't - to most. But if you call an African person an African American or you call a black person whose ancestors are from South America, not Africa, "African American," that can bug them, too. But that might be a pet peeve versus a slur?

Even the ten little Indian songs are "offensive" not because you are calling them little (because boys are little compared to men) but rather because you call them Indian when they aren't from India... but that's ignorance more than insult, right? Referring to them as Indians because that's the group they have been called is not an insult in itself unless being from India (which they are not) is a bad thing. Is it a bad thing to be from India? No, it's just incorrect to call Native Americans that. To me, that's ignorant, not an insult.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The most offensive thing in this thread is the ignorance so many are demonstrating.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The most offensive thing in this thread is the ignorance so many are demonstrating.

Ahh... the easy, wimpy battle cry of someone who has no rational arguement but wants to portray himself as morally better. Lame.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ahh... the easy, wimpy battle cry of someone who has no rational arguement but wants to portray himself as morally better. Lame.

It's more that I don't see any point in arguing with ostriches. When someone says "it's just words" it's embarrassing. You might as well be saying the sky is green. There's no point in participating in that conversation. I might as well go yell at a wall. Just as much chance of being heard.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him! Unless you're 200 years old, the term "Redskin" is not a racial slur. I've never once heard of the term "Redskin" being used even remotely in a negative connotation in my entire life.

you = this.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's more that I don't see any point in arguing with ostriches. When someone says "it's just words" it's embarrassing. You might as well be saying the sky is green. There's no point in participating in that conversation. I might as well go yell at a wall. Just as much chance of being heard.

This is a valid point. The "it's just a word" arguement is not valid. The N word is just a word too, but EVERYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH KNOWS THAT THE N WORD IS A RACIAL SLUR (or 99% of them at least).

"Redskin" is not a racial slur. If I said some guy is a "Redskin," 100% of the people listening to me would think I'm referring to someone who plays for the Washington Redskins. If I referred to someone by the N word, 100% of the people would know I'm using a racial slur.

"Redskin" is not a racial slur. "Injun" is not a racial slur. "Indian" (referring to Native Americans) is not a racial slur. It's a misnomer, but it's not a slur (and "Injun" is just short for "Indian").

"Prarie n****r" is a racial slur. "Featherhead" is a racial slur. "Savage" has a negative denotation and is a slur that isn't race-specific.

"Redskin" is the equivalent of referring to someone as a "Brownskin" or a "whiteskin." It's a colour, not a slur.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
you = this.

I suppose you think it would be racist to erroneously refer to a Native American as an "Indian?"

I'm not saying, I'm really asking. Because if you do, you have a stupid definition of racism. It's the definition that comes from the Al Sharptons of the world who salivate at the thought of anyone they don't like to say something to which they can even remotely attach the word "racist."

People like me don't want anything racist to exist on planet earth. People like those to whom I just referred (like Sharpton) desperately want the world to appear as racist as possible in order to stay in business. If somehow racism didn't exist any more, they would still be calling everything with which they don't agree "racist."

They're the same people who said if you disagree with President Obama you're a racist. LOTS of people said this. But somehow if you disagree with Allen West or Condoleezza Rice, you're not a racist.

STOP WITH THE PHONY RACISM CHARGES! It marginalizes real racism like displacing certain people based on race. Telling certain races they can't use the same drinking fountains or bus seats. Hiring or not hiring someone based on race.

People championing this ridiculous Redskin cause need to get a life.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, "Native American" is a misnomer just like "Indian" is.

Anyone born in the Americas is a native Ameican. That includes me. My ancestors are from Italy (a few from Germany), but I've never been there.

So I'm fine with the term "American Indian" even if it isn't 100% logical.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, "Native American" is a misnomer just like "Indian" is.

Anyone born in the Americas is a native Ameican. That includes me. My ancestors are from Italy (a few from Germany), but I've never been there.

So I'm fine with the term "American Indian" even if it isn't 100% logical.

Most every Native I have ever known simply refers to themselves as "Native." Nothing else before or after it. My whole point is that I think it is funny how people and the media are so quick to say, "No, you are not offended by the term Redskin and you are not allowed to be." (Sick, not saying that this is you, just speaking in general) Everything that happened to the Natives has been pushed aside, and glorified. It's like people don't even want to listen when they have something to say.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose you think it would be racist to erroneously refer to a Native American as an "Indian?"

I'm not saying, I'm really asking. Because if you do, you have a stupid definition of racism. It's the definition that comes from the Al Sharptons of the world who salivate at the thought of anyone they don't like to say something to which they can even remotely attach the word "racist."

People like me don't want anything racist to exist on planet earth. People like those to whom I just referred (like Sharpton) desperately want the world to appear as racist as possible in order to stay in business. If somehow racism didn't exist any more, they would still be calling everything with which they don't agree "racist."

They're the same people who said if you disagree with President Obama you're a racist. LOTS of people said this. But somehow if you disagree with Allen West or Condoleezza Rice, you're not a racist.

STOP WITH THE PHONY RACISM CHARGES! It marginalizes real racism like displacing certain people based on race. Telling certain races they can't use the same drinking fountains or bus seats. Hiring or not hiring someone based on race.

The point had nothing to do with the words native american and indian. It had to do with you people who have the "I don't give a fuck what you consider yourself, or what offends you cause I'm a stubborn inconsiderate fuck, so you are what ever I feel like calling you" attitude.

If people "championing" the redskin cause need a life, then so do you for fighting to be able to call someone something that they are telling you offends them. Why does it mean so much to you to pointlessly offend people? I personally haven't put up any fight for redskins to change their name, but I promise you if you came here where I live and told one of the natives "hey redskin" you'd more than likely get your ass kicked.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps you shouldn't shout about phony charges of racism when your idea of what "real racism" is, is equally mischaracterized. Racism is a belief, not an act. Each of the events you described above are acts and therefore not racism.

The evidence you provided as examples of 'real racism' are better defined as acts of discrimination, and while discrimination is a core component of racist behavior, not every act of discrimination emanates from racism.

Curiously, are your comments here not tantamount to saying: "I hate people who hate people?" I'm sorry, but the hypocrisy of your words is pervasive.

However, one positive with your post is your comment about the 'Al Sharptons' of the world, although your comment is pointed in the right direction you are very early on the path of discovery about who "The Sharpton's" of the world really are - keep walking.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If people "championing" the redskin cause need a life, then so do you for fighting to be able to call someone something that they are telling you offends them. Why does it mean so much to you to pointlessly offend people? I personally haven't put up any fight for redskins to change their name, but I promise you if you came here where I live and told one of the natives "hey redskin" you'd more than likely get your ass kicked.

It means so much because I'm sick of listening to perfectly respectful people being falsely accused of racsim for utter BS reasons (mostly political reasons). Let's put your example on the other foot. If I went up to a black guy and said, "Hey black guy!" he might just as easily be offended for calling him "black guy" instead of "sir" or soemthing more appropriate. That doesn't mean the term "black guy" is, in and of itself, a racist term.

My beef is that for every legitimate example of racism I see these days, I see 99 examples of people who are just looking for a reason to play te race card as if it were still teflon. People are allowed to be offended by whatever they want, but I'm also allowed to call them cry babies for examples like this.

Nobody uses the term "Redskin" as a racial slur. It's not derogatory. If someone really wanted to be offensive to a "Native American, he'd call him something a lot more colourful (no pun intended) like an alcoholic.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means so much because I'm sick of listening to perfectly respectful people being falsely accused of racism for utter BS reasons (mostly political reasons). Let's put your example on the other foot. If I went up to a black guy and said, "Hey black guy!" he might just as easily be offended for calling him "black guy" instead of "sir" or soemthing more appropriate. That doesn't mean the term "black guy" is, in and of itself, a racist term.

My beef is that for every legitimate example of racism I see these days, I see 99 examples of people who are just looking for a reason to play te race card as if it were still teflon. People are allowed to be offended by whatever they want, but I'm also allowed to call them cry babies for examples like this.

Nobody uses the term "Redskin" as a racial slur. It's not derogatory. If someone really wanted to be offensive to a "Native American, he'd call him something a lot more colorful (no pun intended) like an alcoholic.

Racism, as a word has had its social value as well as its literary meaning completely eviscerated; today the word 'racism' has been reduced to a punch line of a worn out joke.

That said, for the sake of this discussion you should just replace the 'racial slur' context with the 'offensive' context and perhaps you might better understand the argument.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means so much because I'm sick of listening to perfectly respectful people being falsely accused of racsim for utter BS reasons (mostly political reasons). Let's put your example on the other foot. If I went up to a black guy and said, "Hey black guy!" he might just as easily be offended for calling him "black guy" instead of "sir" or soemthing more appropriate. That doesn't mean the term "black guy" is, in and of itself, a racist term.

Nobody uses the term "Redskin" as a racial slur. It's not derogatory. If someone really wanted to be offensive to a "Native American, he'd call him something a lot more colourful (no pun intended) like an alcoholic.

I don't give a fuck about political correctness, my thoughts are based on the fact that it's stupid. Reality is only "hicks" would still call these people redskins today.

If you don't understand how ridiculous it is for a sports team to have that name, imagine a football team called "The Jews" Or "The blacks" even you would more than likely say that's tacky and obnoxious, but for some reason natives are so marginalized in peoples minds that's it's acceptable when it happens to them. People seem to see Natives as some type of mythical creatures that makes great mascots.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw I don't have a problem with the chiefs. A chief is a position of power reserved for the most bad ass men, it makes more sense than naming your team a racial slur for any group of people regardless of which group it is.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw I don't have a problem with the chiefs. A chief is a position of power reserved for the most bad ass men, it makes more sense than naming your team a racial slur for any group of people regardless of which group it is.

And Utes? Is that just a name of a tribe or is that offensive? Just wondering. They removed the Native American (an actual member of the Ute tribe) who used to ride a horse around the stadium and stick an arrow of fire into a haystack because of pressure. He liked the job, but some group, who weren't Natives, got it removed.

I'd support the University of Utah even if it changed its name, of course. (I just wouldn't call it by the new name unless it sounded good.)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't give a fuck about political correctness, my thoughts are based on the fact that it's stupid. Reality is only "hicks" would still call these people redskins today.

"Hicks" don't even use the term. Nobody does.

If you don't understand how ridiculous it is for a sports team to have that name, imagine a football team called "The Jews" Or "The blacks" even you would more than likely say that's tacky and obnoxious, but for some reason natives are so marginalized in peoples minds that's it's acceptable when it happens to them. People seem to see Natives as some type of mythical creatures that makes great mascots.

What about the Seminoles? The difference is that the "Seminoles" or "Rediskins" have a long-established historical significance to the area, whereas "Jews" or "Blacks" wouldn't make any sense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Man, I wanted to post a video of David Letterman's bit called Stop calling me Chief, but I couldn't find one. :(

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
To change the subject a little back to sports media...

Forgive the weird, specific pet peeve, but the use of the word "dynamic" is getting out of control in sports media. Tom Waddle said of the Rams' 2013 draft, "The Rams were dynamic." :exploding: