• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL investigator says he found direct evidence against Brady

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems there is always 2 sides to every story and we will just have to see who comes out ahead on this one.

NFL investigator says he found direct evidence against Brady - Yahoo Sports

NEW YORK (AP) -- The lawyer who investigated the New England Patriots insisted Tuesday that he found direct, not just circumstantial, evidence to show quarterback Tom Brady knew team employees were deflating footballs

Miffed by criticism from Brady's agent, Ted Wells decided to take the unusual step of holding a conference call with reporters, a day after the NFL suspended the Super Bowl MVP for the season's first four games based on the report

Wells said his findings would have been strong enough to convince a jury under the ''preponderance of evidence'' standard, which is used in many civil cases.

Wells released his report last Wednesday, asserting it was ''more probable than not'' that Brady ''was at least generally aware'' of plans by two team employees to prepare the balls to his liking, below the league-mandated minimum of 12.5 pounds per square inch.

His voice frequently rising Tuesday, Wells testily rebutted assertions from Don Yee, Brady's agent, questioning Wells' independence because his firm does other business with the NFL.

''What drove the decision in this report is one thing: It was the evidence,'' Wells said. ''I could not ethically ignore the import and relevancy of those text messages and the other evidence

Wells specifically mentioned two series of text exchanges between officials' locker room attendant Jim McNally and equipment assistant John Jastremski. In one, McNally referred to himself as ''the Deflator'' and joked about going to ESPN. In another, Jastremski mentioned speaking to Brady the previous night, saying the quarterback knew McNally was stressed out by needing to deflate the balls.

''That is not circumstantial evidence,'' Wells said. ''That is two of the participants in a scheme discussing what has taken place.''

On Thursday, Yee had called Wells' report ''a significant and terrible disappointment,'' suggesting that it ''reached a conclusion first, and then determined so-called facts later.''

Along with denying any bias, Wells derided the idea that the NFL wanted the investigation to implicate a quarterback he described as ''one of the most popular, iconic players in the league.''

''That does not make sense,'' Wells said. ''It's a ridiculous allegation

Wells has conducted several other high-profile sports investigations in recent years, including the NFL report on the Miami Dolphins bullying scandal. To Yee's assertion that he omitted key statements from Brady, Wells challenged the agent to release his full transcript of the interview.

''Nothing, I guarantee you, in his notes would make any difference in my decision,'' he said.

He also disputed Yee's characterization of the investigation as a ''sting,'' noting that NFL officials initially didn't take the Colts' complaints seriously during January's AFC Championship game

The Patriots wound up routing Indianapolis 45-7 that day, then went on to beat the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl 28-24 for Brady's fourth title. In the quarterback's only public comments since the report's release, he said that the scandal hasn't taken away from the team's accomplishments.

Brady plans to appeal his four-game suspension. The Patriots were penalized $1 million - matching the largest fine in league history - and docked two draft picks. Owner Bob Kraft has declared his ''unconditional support'' for his two-time MVP quarterback.

Wells said the Patriots were cooperative, with two major exceptions: declining a request for a second interview with McNally, and Brady's refusal to turn over phone records. Wells said he had told Brady and Yee he did not need to see his phone and would have accepted a list of communications.

Wells, who said he bills by the hour, wouldn't estimate how much his investigation cost the NFL but said ''no question it's in the millions of dollars.''

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, and it wasnt in the report...why mr wells?

the guys a fraud.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why Brady would not give up his cell phone data, but why would the Pats decline a second interview of McNally?
Either they are transparent or they are not.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why Brady would not give up his cell phone data, but why would the Pats decline a second interview of McNally?
because they are terrified of him. hes been here like 15 years. he knows...everything...that goes on here.
his book deal is going to be serious news someday.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because they are terrified of him. hes been here like 15 years. he knows...everything...that goes on here.
his book deal is going to be serious news someday.
So the Pats are hiding more stuff?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Pats are hiding more stuff?
of course, like every team.

then again, the pats video assistant never turned out to be much, and he was going to "tear the team down".

never heard a peep.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

then again, the pats video assistant never turned out to be much, and he was going to "tear the team down".

never heard a peep.
Your points make sense but the Pats position does not add anything to show they are above board on this entire issue.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your points make sense but the Pats position does not add anything to show they are above board on this entire issue.
no, and im not claiming they are.

were they in the wrong? yeah, you cant do what they did. at the end of the day...with all that goes on in this league, 1 psi of air is trivial.

"integrity of the game"...yeah, that mattered for decades of denying concussions existed in football or that they damaged the brain long term. shit, they hired a guy who isnt even a neurologist to be their guru on concussions!

he was like a pediatrician or some shit.

the NFL cares about integrity when it feels it needs to.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

never heard a peep.

"The Pats are being singled out and it's so unfair."

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team said the other day it wasn't a second interview, it was actually a 5th and this employee is only a game day employee that has a full time job and lives more than an hour away. They felt it was overkill to keep dragging the guy from his full time job.

How valid that is I don't know, but that's the teams stance on that.

The stuff about Brady's phone is pure BS. He had no valid reason to decline their most generous request.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They talked to McNally 4 times and on the 5th request the Pats told them no.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team said the other day it wasn't a second interview, it was actually a 5th and this employee is only a game day employee that has a full time job and lives more than an hour away. They felt it was overkill to keep dragging the guy from his full time job.

How valid that is I don't know, but that's the teams stance on that.

The stuff about Brady's phone is pure BS. He had no valid reason to decline their most generous request.

It was the second interview for the Wells investigation. Apparently the NFL did some questioning prior to starting the Wells investigation (which makes sense).

Wells also said this:

"I asked for a second interview," Wells continued. "I said I would go to New Hampshire (his home). I would interview him in the morning, the afternoon, night — I didn't care. I would make myself available whenever I was free. And not only did (the Patriots) say I couldn't interview him. They said they wouldn't even tell him about my request for an interview. So on that particular point, which was critical to this investigation, they did not cooperate. The report sets that out."

It would not have been much of an inconvenience to the equipment manager, but I suppose it might have interfered with him watching TV at night.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, that's just what Kraft and his people are saying. Wells has an entirely different account and that's not a surprise is it?

Their fans are eating that shit up and totally ignoring everything else so it's working. If the Pats simply keep denying and saying the same untruths over and over again it may not win them back their draft picks, but it keeps the faithful beating the drums behind them and I guess that's good enough for them.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a moment. I think people on all sides of the issue are misreading this one (including, until a minute ago, me).

Wells didn't say there was evidence beyond what was in the report. He's saying that what was in the report constitutes "direct evidence".

Personally, I think that's laughable, while fans of 31 other teams probably disagree with me. But in any case, I think it's what he's saying.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fourth not second.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fourth not second.

Fifth, actually. And they offered to do even that one by telephone, but Wells threw a tantrum and pretended they'd refused outright.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
''Nothing, I guarantee you, in his notes would make any difference in my decision,'' [Wells] said.

LOL well that settles it then. Wells mind was made up before he even started the investigation.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wells, who said he bills by the hour, wouldn't estimate how much his investigation cost the NFL but said ''no question it's in the millions of dollars.''

Completely wasted the fans money. Thanks asshole.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They asked him to come play their fake game with them, like being invited to monopoly. And Brady declined. No big deal.