• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Films Presents: Defense Never Rests

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Defense Never Rests

Good watch on Pat and Bow

Man I really hope we can find a way to lock up Bow long term.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang. Anything NFL.com related makes my internet crash. I'd be indebted to anyone who knew of any other way to watch.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Great video Jikkle and I hope we can lock Bowman up long term as well

Agreed. He's another reason I'm not so sure about locking up Goldson. He's 24, Goldson's 28. Bowman plays a position in which one can dominate well into one's 30's, Goldson plays a position in which the level usually starts to decline around 30.

It's a tough call. Pat got 10 million a season. I'm sure Bowman's gonna want something similar. I don't know that another team would give him that much, but it could be close. Even Karlos Dansby got 8.6 million a season, and Bowman is better than he.

So let's just say he gets 9 million a season. That's 19 million at ILB. That's a lot of ca$h. I don't know that it'd be realistic to keep him unfortunately. :(

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. He's another reason I'm not so sure about locking up Goldson. He's 24, Goldson's 28. Bowman plays a position in which one can dominate well into one's 30's, Goldson plays a position in which the level usually starts to decline around 30.

It's a tough call. Pat got 10 million a season. I'm sure Bowman's gonna want something similar. I don't know that another team would give him that much, but it could be close. Even Karlos Dansby got 8.6 million a season, and Bowman is better than he.

So let's just say he gets 9 million a season. That's 19 million at ILB. That's a lot of ca$h. I don't know that it'd be realistic to keep him unfortunately. :(

will have to agree on Goldson vs Bowman. Goldson IS a valuable player, but these factors are noted.

yes, it'll be tough call on Bowman no question. maybe we can franchise him a season but long term, don't think we'll fit him in.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think in the Bowman vs Goldson debate the question that needs to be answered is which one is more replaceable.

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I would lean more towards Goldson right now. There are lots of very good ILBs in the league right now (granted not many on Bowman's level). How many very good FS are in the league right now?

I figure if we lose either of them, the replacement will not be as good. Where are we most likely to get closest to what we have?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to keep them both. I was leaning more towards Bowman because he is younger, but its harder to find a safety these days.

Also got tot hink if Aldon keeps playing at a high level, there will be another big contract that will be going to him. IMO having a solid do it all LB in willis along with a pure pass rusher and ball hawking saefty/run support safety would be better then having Willis and a Willis clone with no pure pass rusher or safety.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think in the Bowman vs Goldson debate the question that needs to be answered is which one is more replaceable.

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I would lean more towards Goldson right now. There are lots of very good ILBs in the league right now (granted not many on Bowman's level). How many very good FS are in the league right now?

I figure if we lose either of them, the replacement will not be as good. Where are we most likely to get closest to what we have?

Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic about keeping either one of 'em. I think it might be a better idea to lock up Sopoaga for 4 more years & keep that DL strong. JSmith is a wrecking ball, but he's not going to last forever. 1st priority on defense should be keeping the DL dominant.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic about keeping either one of 'em. I think it might be a better idea to lock up Sopoaga for 4 more years & keep that DL strong. JSmith is a wrecking ball, but he's not going to last forever. 1st priority on defense should be keeping the DL dominant.

Dobbs!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree with the thinking on D-line, but not with extending Sop 4 more years. next year will be that time where one of the guys we've been developing has to come in. whether it is RJF, Tukuafu, or Ian Williams, one of these guys need to take over.

if we can sign Sop to a one or maybe two year contract, fine, assuming Sop is still better than these others at his age? but four years is too long a commitment.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
agree with the thinking on D-line, but not with extending Sop 4 more years. next year will be that time where one of the guys we've been developing has to come in. whether it is RJF, Tukuafu, or Ian Williams, one of these guys need to take over.

if we can sign Soap to a one or maybe two year contract, fine, assuming Sop is still better than these others at his age? but four years is too long a commitment.

The problem is someone else will offer Soap a 4 year contract. He's not going to sign for 1 or 2 IMO.

I wouldn't give elite money to him. If he wants a huge deal, then it's time to promote RJF to the starter. I'd love to keep Soap though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The problem is someone else will offer Soap a 4 year contract. He's not going to sign for 1 or 2 IMO.

I wouldn't give elite money to him. If he wants a huge deal, then it's time to promote RJF to the starter. I'd love to keep Soap though.

yeah, i'd love to keep him a little longer too, but in the overall picture changes are inevitable. good teams face harder cap decisions cause their players get more recognition.

we all know the best way to keep it going is the draft. so as long as Baalke is somewhat good in this area, it'll go a little longer. i say 'somewhat good' because he's now drafting near the end of each round.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson would be consistently abused down field if we didn't have such a monstrous front seven.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how you are quantifying "around 30" but if Goldson plays all 16 this year he will end with 86 games played. Good safeties can play and be productive at game totals approaching and exceeding 150.

I know we keep talking about Bowman's contract as being prohibitive as well as preventative and rightfully so, but the wrench in the wheel when it comes to contracts this off-season could easily be Alex's contract.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not sure how you are quantifying "around 30" but if Goldson plays all 16 this year he will end with 86 games played. Good safeties can play and be productive at game totals approaching and exceeding 150.

Around 30 means exactly that: around 30. It's different for every player, but that's about when a player starts to lose his top speed. Goldson probably ha a couple of elite seasons left, but he's going to START his decline very soon. It's the same for all DBs. Linemen and ILBs seem to be able to play at an elite level longer than DBs can.

And I woudln't go by number of games played. Safeties aren't like RBs in that they get a bunch of contact. Age and injury is what eventually slows them down.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Around 30 means exactly that: around 30. It's different for every player, but that's about when a player starts to lose his top speed. Goldson probably ha a couple of elite seasons left, but he's going to START his decline very soon. It's the same for all DBs. Linemen and ILBs seem to be able to play at an elite level longer than DBs can.

And I woudln't go by number of games played. Safeties aren't like RBs in that they get a bunch of contact. Age and injury is what eventually slows them down.

Around 30 doesn't mean anything - try again - or not

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going by the number of games is an excellent way to determine playing time left in the tank - try again - or not

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Around 30 doesn't mean anything - try again - or not

All I can say is yes it does. I'm not saying it's a cliff-like drop off, but a football player's body is USUALLY past its peak at 30 years old.

His salary, on the other hand, would only get bigger if he signed long-term.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say is yes it does. I'm not saying it's a cliff-like drop off, but a football player's body is USUALLY past its peak at 30 years old.

His salary, on the other hand, would only get bigger if he signed long-term.

Then I'm going with around 30 meaning 33 - Thanks - With that fact now stated I think giving Goldson a nice 4yr (if we can afford it) is the way to go

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies Sick, I just looked back on my responses - I allowed my shitty day to manifest itself in my posts - My bad - you're opinions are fine.