• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that we have the 13th, do we really need more picks in this draft? If so, how many?

We could use another "mid-rounder" but at some point it'll be too much. If too much we 'waste' the later round picks who won't make the team. This team is pretty good now so roster spots will be hard to come by this season.

There is a cap argument counter to this, keeping more rookies reduces the team cap. Its smaller cap hits when dealing with back-ups, but anything helps when you have other big ticket items next season. Plus, these rookies will be cheaper for the the following year too.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Love drops down to the #13 pick
The Niners could probably fill in a lot of rounds we were gong to miss out on if we traded down from #13

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm hoping Love drops down to the #13 pick
The Niners could probably fill in a lot of rounds we were gong to miss out on if we traded down from #13

Yes, having a QB on the board opens up the option of trading down. Whether at #13 or #31, i think it'll take a QB for a team to want to move up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
These are the 7 draft picks following the Buckner trade. A trade down to add a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be nice, making it 8 draft picks. So now i'm thinking do we really want more than one trade down?
  • Round 1, Pick 13 (from Colts)
  • Round 1, Pick 31
  • Round 5, Pick 11, No. 156 overall (from Broncos)
  • Round 5, Pick 31, No. 176 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 31, No. 210 overall
  • Round 7, Pick 3, No. 217 overall (from Lions)
  • Round 7, Pick 31, No. 245 overal
This team is good right now, so we need quality picks, not quantity. Adding too many picks will likely increase the amount we cut.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the 7 draft picks following the Buckner trade. A trade down to add a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be nice, making it 8 draft picks. So now i'm thinking do we really want more than one trade down?
  • Round 1, Pick 13 (from Colts)
  • Round 1, Pick 31
  • Round 5, Pick 11, No. 156 overall (from Broncos)
  • Round 5, Pick 31, No. 176 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 31, No. 210 overall
  • Round 7, Pick 3, No. 217 overall (from Lions)
  • Round 7, Pick 31, No. 245 overal
This team is good right now, so we need quality picks, not quantity. Adding too many picks will likely increase the amount we cut.

I think one trade down maybe two at most would suffice.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think one trade down maybe two at most would suffice.

after thinking about some more, i lean to no trade down or just one, whether using the 13th or 31st. Having a "mid-round" pick is a good thing especially since we're looking at WR and CB.

Or two trade downs if we start using later picks to improve the mid-rounders? But don't think it makes sense to just keep adding more 2020 picks? This TEAM is too good for quantity.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after thinking about some more, i lean to no trade down or just one, whether using the 13th or 31st. Having a "mid-round" pick is a good thing especially since we're looking at WR and CB.

Or two trade downs if we start using later picks to improve the mid-rounders? But don't think it makes sense to just keep adding more 2020 picks? This TEAM is too good for quantity.

I would move back from 31 into the 2nd and pick up another later pick or a future pick. Then maybe trade back again to pick up and additional pick so if they want to move into the 3rd round they would have picks to do so.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok now that free agency is basically done for us, where are our needs?

WR
CB
DT

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in the off season, we’ve got to be thinking CB, WR, DT, OT, and probably LB. Considering we’ve got 2 1st rounders now, I’d be shocked if we didn’t use at least one of them on a WR or CB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point in the off season, we’ve got to be thinking CB, WR, DT, OT, and probably LB. Considering we’ve got 2 1st rounders now, I’d be shocked if we didn’t use at least one of them on a WR or CB.

Yeah, seems that way.

Unless we trade one out of the 1st round? We might go Kinlaw at 13th, then trade down with the 31st? But otherwise seems WR or CB.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OIther than CB or WR, I could see the team throwing his a curve ball and going with a LT, OG, S or LB. that falls in the draft. Kind of a BPA approach within certain limits.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OIther than CB or WR, I could see the team throwing his a curve ball and going with a LT, OG, S or LB. that falls in the draft. Kind of a BPA approach within certain limits.

I've always been for "Kind of a BPA approach within certain limits". I would be fine going BPA at 13th or 31st, even if not the position we'd expect in WR or CB. For EXAMPLE, say the top player on our board is an LT, fell to 13th. If they felt he's a HOF or All Pro type prospect, draft him. I know we still have Staley but you have to look at the prospects next 5 year's.

If another top player on the board fell to 31st, draft him even if not a WR or CB.

I don't think this scenario will play out next month except MAYBE LT, but in the big picture BPA is the way to go.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortuante that Sanders has chosen the Saints, because I think that all but assures us that WR will be an early target - which is something I don't want. Still would rather go CB/DT/IOL before WR....especially in a deep class of receivers. However.....if they go that route with the first pick, as of now the only guy I'd want would be Ruggs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortuante that Sanders has chosen the Saints, because I think that all but assures us that WR will be an early target - which is something I don't want. Still would rather go CB/DT/IOL before WR....especially in a deep class of receivers. However.....if they go that route with the first pick, as of now the only guy I'd want would be Ruggs.

Yes but no way would be pay anything close to what the Saints gave. I'm surprised at what he got knowing this WR class is solid. Granted New Orleans is in a win now mode, just like us.

Ok so now the question is trade down with which pick?

It depends on who's still on the board at 13th and IMO take Kinlaw if still there? Haven't read a LOT of reviews but seems like Kinlaw has a little pass rush to him. Apparently Brown is the better run stopper or otherwise stout DT.

If Kinlaw is gone, then go for the smallest trade down we can get. The goal is a 2nd round pick even if we throw in our late pick(s). This as opposed to multiple 3rd + 4th type of trade.

It would need to be a QB still on the board, for another team to trade up.

We shouldn't be so quick to trade down the 31st either, that 5th year option is big.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but no way would be pay anything close to what the Saints gave. I'm surprised at what he got knowing this WR class is solid. Granted New Orleans is in a win now mode, just like us.

Ok so now the question is trade down with which pick?

It depends on who's still on the board at 13th and IMO take Kinlaw if still there? Haven't read a LOT of reviews but seems like Kinlaw has a little pass rush to him. Apparently Brown is the better run stopper or otherwise stout DT.

If Kinlaw is gone, then go for the smallest trade down we can get. The goal is a 2nd round pick even if we throw in our late pick(s). This as opposed to multiple 3rd + 4th type of trade.

It would need to be a QB still on the board, for another team to trade up.

We shouldn't be so quick to trade down the 31st either, that 5th year option is big.

There are still options at 13 if Kinlaw was gone. Who knows how the draft will run, but there could be a chance that both top IDL's are there. There are a couple of cornerbacks that I would definitely see in play. They could even trade down a bit from 13 if a QB drops to their spot...get an extra pick or two and still end up with a great player.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
..If the pick we want is top 10 on the board then cant trade back, MCGlinchy, Buckner, Armstead, Thomas..

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
..If the pick we want is top 10 on the board then cant trade back, MCGlinchy, Buckner, Armstead, Thomas..

In the big picture i agree, if one prospect's value is too good then draft him. Whether he's a DT, WR, CB, or even pass rusher (K'Lavon?), draft him. Would be nice is Kinlaw is this guy, but we'll see?

When there isn't a prospect who's value is too good over the remaining, then seek a trade down. But i wouldn't want a trade down too far either, how far is far? I'll throw out stay in the 'teens and ensure one top prospect.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Ruggs over Lamb or Jeudy simply on mismatches, the vertical speed to stretch defenses underneath, and Shanahan's creative schemes - jet sweeps and stuff. Still not for taking any receiver at 13, however.