• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why the 49ers could wait until Round 5 to draft a wide receiver

IMO these are short term concerns. Yes, there is a little merit in them if you're looking short term? But if you draft a WR in Round 1, then you're looking at 5 seasons if not longer? If drafted after Round 1, 4 seaons if not not longer.

I'm not about to say we won't draft a WR later, but don't think later than Round 3. Point number 3 is the best point out of these five, I was just wondering about Pettis?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2335-previous-draft-misses-49ers-afford-count-current-group/

Conclusion

The 49ers receiver group is decent as it is but is clearly missing a player who can excel at the intermediate to deep routes the Shanahan offense features heavily. It has a receiver who can serve as a true go-to in Samuel, it has a quality backup in Bourne and it has plenty of high-end potential with Taylor, Hurd and Pettis.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but expect the 49ers to target a receiver who can play on the outside and get separation on deep routes. Pay close attention to a prospect's run blocking ability. Shanahan values that more than most due to his run heavy attack.

The only thing certain is that the 49ers need a starting quality receiver opposite of Samuel if they want to remain the favorite in the NFC.

Yes, nothing ground breaking here at WR. If we draft a WR in Round 1, that'll solve it.

If we draft a WR late 2nd or 3rd, draft an outside prospect better suited for intermediate/deep routes. This WR will be lacking in other areas and is why late 2nd or 3rd, but if HIS stronger suit is intermediate/deep routes, good. Speed obviously comes to mind, but also getting past jams.

BTW - Not pushing for a WR at intermediate and deep because i envision him sprinting downfield all the time. But want this type of WR for the 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12 type of situations. These situations occur more than sprinting downfield.

We don't need to run a WR downfield on every play to 'stretch the defense".

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it means someone wants to give the Niners a very nice package to move up to select Love is fine with me
Otherwise no, we don't need to be spending a 1st on a QB

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's make a deal: What a trade between Falcons and 49ers might look like

Interesting scenario's.

If our target is an LT or DT, can't trade down from 13th? If we're NOT looking at one of these positions, then a small trade down like these will work.

If we make one of these trades at 13th, i'd think twice about trading down from 31st? Ok, I guess someone might make an offer we couldn't refuse, but wouldn't trade down just to acquire more picks. It would have to be a QB target for an offer we couldn't refuse.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Henderson could be impact CB option for 49ers at No. 13

But that might not be entirely accurate, one general manager told Peter King of NBC Sports.

I bet 40 percent of the teams in the league have C.J. Henderson higher on their boards than Okudah,” the GM told King. “Better cover guy.”

The 49ers could be in the market to select a cornerback in the first round for the first time since Mike Rumph in 2002. And Henderson or Okudah could be options at No. 13 overall.

“They would be getting an extremely competitive guy, who is passionate about the game and who is going to give his best effort on every single play,” Henderson said at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

Wow, after reading this i could believe he's 'equal' value as Kinlaw or the 3 WR's? How true is this, we'll see next week?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henderson could be impact CB option for 49ers at No. 13

But that might not be entirely accurate, one general manager told Peter King of NBC Sports.

I bet 40 percent of the teams in the league have C.J. Henderson higher on their boards than Okudah,” the GM told King. “Better cover guy.”

The 49ers could be in the market to select a cornerback in the first round for the first time since Mike Rumph in 2002. And Henderson or Okudah could be options at No. 13 overall.

“They would be getting an extremely competitive guy, who is passionate about the game and who is going to give his best effort on every single play,” Henderson said at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

Wow, after reading this i could believe he's 'equal' value as Kinlaw or the 3 WR's? How true is this, we'll see next week?

The drop off in talent after him, Okudah and Fulton is pretty steep. So yeah with the need the team has it could easily be the pick.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a growing interest in the CB from Utah Johnson

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henderson doesn't fit with what SF does schematically.....he's a great man corner....I wouldn't take him with the 13th pick to hope he can excel in zone. Okudah is the only corner worthy of that pick, and it's little to no chance he falls to 13.

To me, it's still DT/OL/WR for me....but I do think SF is leaning more to Ruggs as the pick if all players they want are there at 13, IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Henderson doesn't fit with what SF does schematically.....he's a great man corner....I wouldn't take him with the 13th pick to hope he can excel in zone. Okudah is the only corner worthy of that pick, and it's little to no chance he falls to 13.

To me, it's still DT/OL/WR for me....but I do think SF is leaning more to Ruggs as the pick if all players they want are there at 13, IMO.

Since Staley hasn't said anything yet, IMO it is DT, WR, or CB. What's good about it is there appears to be 'equal' value at 13th, for all of these positions? After reading all these weeks, can't tell if any spot has more value than the others? I can believe Kinlaw, CJ Henderson, or any of the big 3 WR's can be best player available.

IF Staley does announce his retirement, there's a decent chance for one of the top OTs too. I would think in this scenari, we go LT.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ok, the bold part may or may not be true, I am basing my opinion on that article about CJ Henderson. Okudah is known for man coverage too, so not getting why he fits but not CJ Henderson?

Anyway, scheme fit for CB's is important as we play mainly (not only) zone coverage. Doesn't mean we don't want a CB who can cover 'man', but it does mean when forced to choose between positions, CB is then a lower priority.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, the bold part may or may not be true, I am basing my opinion on that article about CJ Henderson. Okudah is known for man coverage too, so not getting why he fits but not CJ Henderson?

Anyway, scheme fit for CB's is important as we play mainly (not only) zone coverage. Doesn't mean we don't want a CB who can cover 'man', but it does mean when forced to choose between positions, CB is then a lower priority.

Everything I've read on Henderson is that he's a solid, lockdown type of guy but he lacks awareness and instincts....and if that's true, then it's an easy, hard pass on the guy.

I'm still really big for Thomas to start at guard and then transition to Tackle when Staley leaves, but everything I'm reading is that GM's favour the kid far more than the mockers, which means he may be long gone before we get a shot.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everything I've read on Henderson is that he's a solid, lockdown type of guy but he lacks awareness and instincts....and if that's true, then it's an easy, hard pass on the guy.

I'm still really big for Thomas to start at guard and then transition to Tackle when Staley leaves, but everything I'm reading is that GM's favour the kid far more than the mockers, which means he may be long gone before we get a shot.

I believe CB's playing zone is easier to find than CB's who can 'man'? While we have read the 49ers play mostly zone, it isn't exclusively zone and why we still read about how our CB's got burnt in the SB.

I would think a lockdown CB could play zone at a high level, but a good zone guy can't play man at a high level. So if you have a chance to draft a solid, man CB, I think you take him. This allows you to vary your coverages as this CB will 'lockdown' one side. CB's do have to man at times, even if you start out in zone.

In your above post you're saying he's a solid lockdown guy but you don't want him, are you sure? This is what you posted earlier too, you said he's "a great man corner"?!

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe CB's playing zone is easier to find than CB's who can 'man'? While we have read the 49ers play mostly zone, it isn't exclusively zone and why we still read about how our CB's got burnt in the SB.

I would think a lockdown CB could play zone at a high level, but a good zone guy can't play man at a high level. So if you have a chance to draft a solid, man CB, I think you take him. This allows you to vary your coverages as this CB will 'lockdown' one side. CB's do have to man at times, even if you start out in zone.

In your above post you're saying he's a solid lockdown guy but you don't want him, are you sure? This is what you posted earlier too, you said he's "a great man corner"?!

Darelle Revis was a lock-down corner of the highest order when he was asked to play man.....the dude struggled in TB in zone. Marcus Peters is the opposite....put him in an instictive position like he was with KC and Balt. and he can have some success - and I thought he was overrated there - but when the Rams put him strictly at man....he sucked.

Some guys can adapt and some guys can't. I'm not risking the #13 pick on a a wing and a prayer. When I read that a corner lacks instincts and awareness.....with the scheme we run? Count me out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Darelle Revis was a lock-down corner of the highest order when he was asked to play man.....the dude struggled in TB in zone. Marcus Peters is the opposite....put him in an instictive position like he was with KC and Balt. and he can have some success - and I thought he was overrated there - but when the Rams put him strictly at man....he sucked.

Some guys can adapt and some guys can't. I'm not risking the #13 pick on a a wing and a prayer. When I read that a corner lacks instincts and awareness.....with the scheme we run? Count me out.

Ok, your opinion is fine and I was just making sure you realize "solid, lockdown", "great man corner", were in your posts, not mine. :-)

It does depend on who scouting report we're reading.

My opinion is IF you have a chance at a solid, lockdown, man CB, don't let our zone scheme stop us. IF 40% of the NFL GM's think he's better than Okudah, then IMO he has enough value to be our BPA. This isn't saying we must draft him at 13th, but i'd be fine if we do.

Zone doesn't mean you remain in zone 100% thru the play, even off of zone CB's do have to cover receivers.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, your opinion is fine and I was just making sure you realize "solid, lockdown", "great man corner", were in your posts, not mine. :-)

It does depend on who scouting report we're reading.

My opinion is IF you have a chance at a solid, lockdown, man CB, don't let our zone scheme stop us. IF 40% of the NFL GM's think he's better than Okudah, then IMO he has enough value to be our BPA. This isn't saying we must draft him at 13th, but i'd be fine if we do.

Zone doesn't mean you remain in zone 100% thru the play, even off of zone CB's do have to cover receivers.

SF doesn't draft BPA, and they shouldn't draft this guy because he doesn't fit what SF does....unless it's a round or two later.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2341-draft-49ers-select-henry-ruggs-trade-first-round/

This kind of mock works for me, one small trade down. The Ruggs pick at 13th makes sense, as well as CB in Round 2. Don't know about the players chosen from Round 2 and down, but if these are the best value, fine with me.

Yes we can't fill all the holes we want (DT and OT) with quality, but no team can.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Seven-Round Mock Draft

This works for me too, one small trade down. An OT is fine at 13th because it is an LT prospect, and Cohn is right about not having future opportunities. A DT is fine in Round 2., linemen helps everyone behind them so ok with two linemen in a row. Every team has a good QB and/or good weapons, the best defense against it is constant pressure.

I know this doesn't help the WR corps which as football fans is hard to accept, but you can't fix every single hole on the team. With JG remaining up right and having time to throw, we'll be fine. Thomas will help the run game taking some pressure off JG. This was already a high scoring offense, so its not like we won't score any points.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Seven-Round Mock Draft

This works for me too, one small trade down. An OT is fine at 13th because it is an LT prospect, and Cohn is right about not having future opportunities. A DT is fine in Round 2., linemen helps everyone behind them so ok with two linemen in a row. Every team has a good QB and/or good weapons, the best defense against it is constant pressure.

I know this doesn't help the WR corps which as football fans is hard to accept, but you can't fix every single hole on the team. With JG remaining up right and having time to throw, we'll be fine. Thomas will help the run game taking some pressure off JG. This was already a high scoring offense, so its not like we won't score any points.

The other thing to consider is how deep the class is at WR.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's another thought that came to mind......if you draft a WR he doesn't get that many looks in a typical game, especially when you have Kittle on offense.

Whereas a linemen has to perform on every play. So this is also another reason I tend to lean linemen all things being 'equal'. Linemen aren't flashy picks like a WR, but are the foundational pieces after QB.