• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have a very good idea if you have a specific guy you want and most believe the pick is earlier than predicted. That's exactly how Lynch/Shanahan draft.....they target their guy and don't care about what other GM's think or the mock drafts and stuff. They get their players and if they can get extra picks on top of it, it's a no-brainer.

If you are trading back 17 spots, you are getting multiple picks back, and if you gain 2 or more players you really want instead of one player, you're ahead of the game.

Yes and no it really depends on the players. If the one you were going to get is a hall of fame type talent and the others end up being solid starters I'm not sure how far ahead you are getting.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/gal...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Geez, if only going by this article, we almost have to go CB in Round 1 or maybe 2? Apparently, CB depth in this draft isn't THAT good?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes and no it really depends on the players. If the one you were going to get is a hall of fame type talent and the others end up being solid starters I'm not sure how far ahead you are getting.

yep, trading down a little is fine but going down too far or too much could be dangerous? Let me re-post Ron Rivera's comment:

“If you’re going to pass up Player A, and you go back and you take Player D, Player D has to be equal to Player A, you know what I’m saying?” Rivera said. “Because if Player A is going to play for you for 10 years, and Player D might not, did you really get value or did you just get a whole bunch of picks?”

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure....but you can get busts in the first round (Solomon Thomas) and you can get HOF type talent in the fifth round (George Kittle).

It still comes down to getting the guys you want. If there were targets available at 13 and 31, I'd have no problem with pulling the trigger on both, and waiting for Saturday to make the next selection. If you're strong on both, and figure both will be available a few selections later, I have no problem in taking a risk and get more picks...and potentially still getting those players. If a player you truly want is generally regarded as a round lower than most everyone believes, you can get a haul for such a trade....

It's all about the players you want.....it's not about what others think, or mock drafts, or BPA. That's not the way Lynch and Shanahan operate.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure....but you can get busts in the first round (Solomon Thomas) and you can get HOF type talent in the fifth round (George Kittle).

It still comes down to getting the guys you want. If there were targets available at 13 and 31, I'd have no problem with pulling the trigger on both, and waiting for Saturday to make the next selection. If you're strong on both, and figure both will be available a few selections later, I have no problem in taking a risk and get more picks...and potentially still getting those players. If a player you truly want is generally regarded as a round lower than most everyone believes, you can get a haul for such a trade....

It's all about the players you want.....it's not about what others think, or mock drafts, or BPA. That's not the way Lynch and Shanahan operate.

Sure busts happen in the first round. However of the hall of fame classes from 2000-2019 56 out of 108 have been first round picks (51.8%) and it seemed that of the more modern players were at least in the first three rounds and most from the first round. So yeah I would say only a minor trade back and select a CB/DT with the first 1st rounder and then potentially the other position with the pick at 31 or once a gain a small trade back. I honestly think they could wait until the 2nd or 3rd to get a WR that would still help the offense. If they didn't have a a TE like Kittle who is essentially a #1 WR then picking a WR early would be a must.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2333-drafting-replacement-deforest-buckner-would-mistake/

Ok ok he does have a point, the D-line did have depth and we would be ok without drafting Kinlaw. We would love to have a disruptive DT, but maybe not at 13th.

We need a dynamic "down field" WR, and CB is a vulnerable position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We're on the same page here, "a few selections later" meaning a small trade down. I'm fine with a small trade down whether 13th or 31st.

Of course you hope for certain players ("players you want") but there are 31 other teams looking at the same pool. There will be at least one other team looking at the same players as you. Defensively, there are at least three other teams with similar scheme, so trying to 'slide' and still get your player is risky business. We all play fantasy football and know how this goes. :-)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers draft preview: Which wide receiver best replaces Sanders?

Yep, we need a 'speed guy', someone who can line up outside. Even if not at 13th i think we should draft a WR from the next tier. Justin Jefferson or Jalen Reagor looks like good candidates too so IMO, WR with either our first or second pick.

I'm fine with taking a WR in the first but due to the depth of this class and already having Kittle I'm not sure that that is the smart mov e or the best move.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm fine with taking a WR in the first but due to the depth of this class and already having Kittle I'm not sure that that is the smart mov e or the best move.

What may push a WR to a later pick is if Staley retires? Under this scenario it makes sense to go LT too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The case for the 49ers drafting a defensive lineman with 1st pick

Kinlaw is a 6-5, 324-pound force in the middle, but also carries the athleticism to slide all over the line. He may need a year or two of development to really reach his ceiling, but he’d step in and immediately be San Francisco’s best option to replace at least some of Buckner’s production, and he has the physical tools to wind up being a Pro Bowler.

This has been my thinking most of this time, no one can replace Buckner at least not immediately but a top 3T helps BOTH run and pass. If he has the potential to be a Pro-Bowler this season, then he has a chance for All-Pro when he does reach his ceiling.

Since we use the wide 9 scheme our DT's need to hold the middle on run D.

Anyway, as time goes by am admitting WR can easily be that All Pro too. Fortunately, this draft has enough talent remaining at 13th that it lines up with our Needs. Whether it is WR, DT, CB, or LT, we can decide to go with either at 13th. Note while all these positions are important, the linemen helps everyone behind them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

https://www.************.com/commentary/2335-previous-draft-misses-49ers-afford-count-current-group/

Conclusion

The 49ers receiver group is decent as it is but is clearly missing a player who can excel at the intermediate to deep routes the Shanahan offense features heavily. It has a receiver who can serve as a true go-to in Samuel, it has a quality backup in Bourne and it has plenty of high-end potential with Taylor, Hurd and Pettis.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but expect the 49ers to target a receiver who can play on the outside and get separation on deep routes. Pay close attention to a prospect's run blocking ability. Shanahan values that more than most due to his run heavy attack.

The only thing certain is that the 49ers need a starting quality receiver opposite of Samuel if they want to remain the favorite in the NFC.

Yes, nothing ground breaking here at WR. If we draft a WR in Round 1, that'll solve it.

If we draft a WR late 2nd or 3rd, draft an outside prospect better suited for intermediate/deep routes. This WR will be lacking in other areas and is why late 2nd or 3rd, but if HIS stronger suit is intermediate/deep routes, good. Speed obviously comes to mind, but also getting past jams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...e-space-eating-defensive-tackle-javon-kinlaw/

"Desperate" might be too strong a word for me, but i'm for DT from the beginning. All things being 'equal' I lean to defense because it can be there every week and play in all conditions.

All things being 'equal' i next lean to defensive linemen, because linemen helps everyone behind them. Some won't have the stats but that is due to the position they play, the role they play. But what they do makes everyone else look good including CB's.

Just so happens Kinlaw could be best value or at least of 'equal' value, as anyone left.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.************.com/commentary/2335-previous-draft-misses-49ers-afford-count-current-group/

Conclusion

The 49ers receiver group is decent as it is but is clearly missing a player who can excel at the intermediate to deep routes the Shanahan offense features heavily. It has a receiver who can serve as a true go-to in Samuel, it has a quality backup in Bourne and it has plenty of high-end potential with Taylor, Hurd and Pettis.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but expect the 49ers to target a receiver who can play on the outside and get separation on deep routes. Pay close attention to a prospect's run blocking ability. Shanahan values that more than most due to his run heavy attack.

The only thing certain is that the 49ers need a starting quality receiver opposite of Samuel if they want to remain the favorite in the NFC.

Yes, nothing ground breaking here at WR. If we draft a WR in Round 1, that'll solve it.

If we draft a WR late 2nd or 3rd, draft an outside prospect better suited for intermediate/deep routes. This WR will be lacking in other areas and is why late 2nd or 3rd, but if HIS stronger suit is intermediate/deep routes, good. Speed obviously comes to mind, but also getting past jams.

If they skip it early a guy that has deceptive speed for his size is Chase Claypool out of Notre Dame. He ran a 4.43ish 40 at 6'5" 230 lbs and is a willing run blocker he is more of a straight line speed versus quick twitch like d of speed.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.************.com/articl...e-space-eating-defensive-tackle-javon-kinlaw/

"Desperate" might be too strong a word for me, but i'm for DT from the beginning. All things being 'equal' I lean to defense because it can be there every week and play in all conditions.

All things being 'equal' i next lean to defensive linemen, because linemen helps everyone behind them. Some won't have the stats but that is due to the position they play, the role they play. But what they do makes everyone else look good including CB's.

Just so happens Kinlaw could be best value or at least of 'equal' value, as anyone left.

Yeah I'm more than fine with taking Kinlaw or Brown at 13. I expect a trade to happen with one of those two first round picks because Lynch and Shanahan always seem to make a draft day trade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I'm more than fine with taking Kinlaw or Brown at 13. I expect a trade to happen with one of those two first round picks because Lynch and Shanahan always seem to make a draft day trade.

Yes, Brown MIGHT be there too, so either one would make sense.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think someone like Kinlaw is more important than a receiver at 13 for one real simple reason - nobody really knows what Armstead is gonna do now that he is paid, and I don't think SF can fully trust Ford and his gimpyness. That front really aided the back end of the defense....far moreso than the other way around. I also think someone like Thomas at OT is more important because as I've said, he can start inside and move to Tackle when Staley calls it a career. If he's meant to stay inside, then so be it.

Receivers are so deep this year that there will be some talent to be had later on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/135963-brent-jones-feels-49ers-should-trade-player-draft/

Can't agree with this, there are other WR options so why give up more draft capital? This isn't just late picks, moving up 4, 5, or 6 spots is into the top 10. Without looking at charts this involves a future 2nd rounder at least.

Obviously Jeudy IS a top prospect, but we're not in a position to move up. Drafting a Lamb or Ruggs isn't a bad pick, then saving that future pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2336-49ers-best-draft-options-pick-each-position-need/

Kristian Fulton......hmmmmmm