• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC West

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When has a RB or backfield ever carried a dynasty by themselves? One without a HOF QB I mean..

Jim Brown only carried the Browns to a single Championship. Same with Walter Payton. OJ, Dickerson, and Sanders couldn't carry their teams to even a single championship.

The Packers of the 60s, Steelers and Dolphins of the 70s all had a HOF QB to go with their HOF RBs. Emmit had Aikman.

I mean, what has changed since the 50s? Seems like a HOF QB has always been the more important part of dynasties instead of RBs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When has a RB or backfield ever carried a dynasty by themselves? One without a HOF QB I mean..

Jim Brown only carried the Browns to a single Championship. Same with Walter Payton. OJ, Dickerson, and Sanders couldn't carry their teams to even a single championship.

The Packers of the 60s, Steelers and Dolphins of the 70s all had a HOF QB to go with their HOF RBs. Emmit had Aikman.

I mean, what has changed since the 50s? Seems like a HOF QB has always been the more important part of dynasties instead of RBs.

i took it as saying its much more so nowadays, vice it totally changed from RB to QB.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i took it as saying its much more so nowadays, vice it totally changed from RB to QB.

Yeah, I get that part of it I guess. In today's game a great RB isn't even enough to get you 8 wins without a solid team around the guy. Whereas a great QB is a huge difference maker, we saw that with the Colts and arguably with the Panthers if Cam keeps improving. Heck, the Panthers were already a totally different team from the one that won one or two games the year before. Luck will probably do the same thing in Indy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had them at my finger tips but putting them in a format that works on this board is a pain in the ass. Then I went and BOLDED those teams closest to 50/50 and it screwed up the alignment anyway - but it still works.

What would be interesting is to put together a 10yr trend analysis - Maybe a project for another day.

Enjoy!

That would be an awesome project. You've always been good at statistical analysis, I remember your work on receivers awhile back. Formatting is tough but you do a good job.

If you ever do that project, it would be cool to link it up with team record, find a correllation. I think those with more balanced teams are those without a standout QB - not just statistically (because by definition 50/50 won't produce that great of passing numbers unless you get a super-efficient QB) but also just by our gut feeling on QB ranking.

But as far as record goes, we saw a 13-3 team but most of the other bolded teams were 6-10, 7-9 type teams. Do any of those teams have a QB? Cutler has to have the highest rep for a QB out of all of them but part of the balance was when Cutler was injured. Alex, IMO, faired the best out of that group when comparing healthy QBs because the defense allowed us to be balanced. We didn't exactly have a lot of teams to compare, but we can see how much the trend is going away from balanced teams or if it's coming back.

Some of this is just playing to the teams strengths, so GB, NE, etc. are never going to be in that category. Also, interesting to see if it's always the same teams. Coaching and personnell obviously contributes to that greatly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I get that part of it I guess. In today's game a great RB isn't even enough to get you 8 wins without a solid team around the guy. Whereas a great QB is a huge difference maker, we saw that with the Colts and arguably with the Panthers if Cam keeps improving. Heck, the Panthers were already a totally different team from the one that won one or two games the year before. Luck will probably do the same thing in Indy.

yep.

this is where the 49ers are in a tough situation now, we can't obtain a 'Franchise' QB without mortgaging the farm. so we move forward with Alex Smith, the lesser of the evils.

in a few years this team could potentially have too many personnel changes? so no guarantee this team continues for when we do obtain one?

can't complain cause it could be much worse, we fans should know.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be an awesome project. You've always been good at statistical analysis, I remember your work on receivers awhile back. Formatting is tough but you do a good job.

If you ever do that project, it would be cool to link it up with team record, find a correllation. I think those with more balanced teams are those without a standout QB - not just statistically (because by definition 50/50 won't produce that great of passing numbers unless you get a super-efficient QB) but also just by our gut feeling on QB ranking.

But as far as record goes, we saw a 13-3 team but most of the other bolded teams were 6-10, 7-9 type teams. Do any of those teams have a QB? Cutler has to have the highest rep for a QB out of all of them but part of the balance was when Cutler was injured. Alex, IMO, faired the best out of that group when comparing healthy QBs because the defense allowed us to be balanced. We didn't exactly have a lot of teams to compare, but we can see how much the trend is going away from balanced teams or if it's coming back.

Some of this is just playing to the teams strengths, so GB, NE, etc. are never going to be in that category. Also, interesting to see if it's always the same teams. Coaching and personnell obviously contributes to that greatly.

Maybe if I have time next week I'll give it a go to see just how long it would take to gather the information...

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Jacobs thinks Randy Moss has a chip on his shoulder | ProFootballTalk

Well this is good news, the last two times he played with a chip on his shoulder he was unstoppable. His rookie year and his 1st year with the Patriots. I just hope Alex has the guts to try and get him the ball more often than he checks it down or sails it 10 yards past where Randy is at.

****Wanted to add this too*****
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a788ac/article/dashon-goldson-ok-playing-under-49ers-franchise-tag

It's good to be a Super Bowl contender, if the 49ers were 6-10 last year I don't know if he'd be as willing to play for the franchise tender.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

When has a QB carried a dynasty by himself? I can't think of one who did it without the help of at least a great receiving corps, and usually a pretty good offense. Obviously the QB has the biggest impact, but no one position can do it alone.

Re: RBs, I'd say Emmitt had more of an impact than Troy Aikman at the end of the day. But they were both very good, and also benefited from a great OL and D. Troy made some clutch plays, to be sure, but he wasn't asked to do nearly what other top QBs were.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kolb the favorite in Arizona?
8:01AM ET
Kevin Kolb | Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals' offensive coaching staff is staging a QB competition this offseason, and reportedly doling out an equal number of reps to Kevin Kolb and John Skelton as they make their assessments. That equality of opportunity will continue as training camp opens later this month.

During an appearance on the NFL Network this week, former Cardinals QB Kurt Warner offered his opinion on the battle, and he foresees Kolb as the winner.

"I think this is going to play out with Kevin Kolb becoming the starter for the Arizona Cardinals," Warner declared, per Pro Football Talk. "When I talk to people in the organization and what I've seen, everybody believes that Kevin has everything you need to be a starter in the NFL. He's smart, he works hard, he's got accuracy, he's got mobility to run around and make plays, which we saw him do a number of times last year. The biggest problem was, the offense in Arizona was completely different than what he ran in Philly, and it was tough for him to pick up that offense, and the nuances of that offense, and he really struggled with that last year, never got fully comfortable."

ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando believes that Kolb has now had plenty of time to pick up the offense, so it's time for him to deliver:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
The pressure is squarely on Kolb to justify the Cardinals' investment in him

"He's had time to get healthy and learn the offense. Kolb should be more confident and relaxed as a result. But he has yet to take charge of the team and command the respect that only comes through performance. He'll have an extended opportunity this summer thanks to an exhibition schedule featuring five games, one more than usual. Kolb now has 16 career starts. Skelton has 11. Neither has been consistent, but the team won more frequently with Skelton last season."

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When has a QB carried a dynasty by himself? I can't think of one who did it without the help of at least a great receiving corps, and usually a pretty good offense. Obviously the QB has the biggest impact, but no one position can do it alone.

Re: RBs, I'd say Emmitt had more of an impact than Troy Aikman at the end of the day. But they were both very good, and also benefited from a great OL and D. Troy made some clutch plays, to be sure, but he wasn't asked to do nearly what other top QBs were.

Ha, well no player has carried a dynasty by himself if you want to be that specific. I didn't word that very well I guess, my bad.

The article was making it seem like trying to build a team around a RB is almost a complete waste of time, and everyone should find the QB first. I disagree. If the Chargers could have just been lucky enough to build a better team around LT, Brees/Rivers and Gates, they should have won at least one championship. I think the Chargers did it right, it just didn't work out for them because of Marty-ball after everything came together in 2006 for them. Like Harbaugh reminded all of us, coaching is just as important as the players on the field... probably even more so.

About Smith and Aikman, I agree that Smith carried more weight. Just that without Aikman the Cowboys probably would have been more like the Lions with Sanders instead of the "Team of the 90s" dynasty.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... it's not Alex Smith.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Cardinals' CB picture
2:39PM ET
Arizona Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals hoped that they'd get something special when they invested the No. 5 overall pick -- and the contract required of such a pick -- in 2011 in Patrick Peterson. Thus far, the results have been promising, and it's expected that the LSU product will hold down one of the team's starting CB slots in 2012 and beyond. As for the other spot, that'll be up for some competition once training camp begins.

The two primary combatants are Greg Toler and William Gay. Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com believes that Toler will be the one to get the job, despite the fact that Gay has been working with the starters at times during the offseason program. If that's the case, that would push Gay into the nickel CB role, and potentially could spell the end for A.J. Jefferson's tenure with the club.

One player on which to keep an eye is Jamell Fleming. Peter Schrager of Fox Sports writes that the Oklahoma product was impressive during spring practices, and could push his way into a starting job by mid-season.

- Tim Kavanagh​

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com Video - 32 on 32

Posting this not for the article (blah) but rather the video. Disclaimer: While here he is pretty benign, this does have Jamie Dukes. Click at your own peril.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com Video - 32 on 32

Posting this not for the article (blah) but rather the video. Disclaimer: While here he is pretty benign, this does have Jamie Dukes. Click at your own peril.

Good video - I think Dukes & Moose accurately discuss what some of us here discussed a couple weeks ago, which is that Smith is more than likely going to have to be an active (rather than a passive) participant in the 49ers success in 2012.