• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

............. Next Longhorn Head Coach

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranked in the top 5 most of 1997, 1 loss, and only ranked #6 at end of year because AP in their infinite wisdom ranked two 2-loss teams above them.

1 loss, Gator Bowl win, and #6 in the nation is not "kinda decent".

Try again, brainiac.

This is sort of fun. You are really upset about this and have to turn to calling me names.

You said all he did was take a crappy team and make them sort of decent.

I pointed out that Mack Brown took a crappy UNC team and made them sort of decent. In the next 13 years of UNC football(after Mack Brown left), UNC went 72-86, which sort of tells me that Mack Brown took a crappy team, made them sorta decent, and then got out because he knew his next few years at UNC were not going to be good.

Your interpretation and my interpretation are different, but then you are a Texas fan. If there is one thing I have learned with dealing with Texas fans, the rules in Texas are that only Texas fans are smart and right.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. What you should take away is that #6 in the nation is not merely "kinda decent" which is the matter in contention here.

Can ya follow?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Husker fans continue to be upset that Mack went 8-1 against them.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown was a great coach at North Carolina

He got UNC 10 wins three times in his 10 years in Chapel Hill.
The Heels have a combined total of four 10 win seasons in the other 100 seasons.

The stadium was always half empty before he got to UNC.
He got it routinely filled and excited in a basketball town.

They have been mediocre (bad) ever since and rarely generate any buzz in town like the Brown era.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown's a good coach. He's done well.

I'm not upset he went 8-1 against the Huskers.

I'm disappointed that the Husker program has been down for 13 years or so. There were a lot of teams beating Nebraska.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. What you should take away is that #6 in the nation is not merely "kinda decent" which is the matter in contention here.

Can ya follow?

Got it. A Texas fan has now claimed Texas A&M is a good team. During the Mack Brown era at North Carolina A&m was a good team.

Then by your logic, Texas A&M is a good team because in 1992, 1993, and 1994 they were rated #6, #8, and #7. In 2012 Texas A&M was rated #5.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. A Texas fan has now claimed Texas A&M is a good team. During the Mack Brown era at North Carolina A&m was a good team.

Then by your logic, Texas A&M is a good team because in 1992, 1993, and 1994 they were rated #6, #8, and #7. In 2012 Texas A&M was rated #5.

Logic doesn't work with longhorn fan.

Somehow, they will tell you that UNC finishing #6 was a good team but the 2012 A&M team being ranked #5 wasn't.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sparty, I always cheer for your team, football and basketball. I don't know why. I just do.

Also, I want to steal your coach.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown's a good coach. He's done well.

I'm not upset he went 8-1 against the Huskers.

I'm disappointed that the Husker program has been down for 13 years or so. There were a lot of teams beating Nebraska.

Those Kansas losses had to suck ass on a whole nother level

I just hope we don't follow up Brown with Art Briles

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopes: Texas has bought into the hype of Paul Johnson offense. Has offered Paul much $ to leave GT.

GT pretends :( when in fact, it is :) and also :$(@/@;$($;&/@;$($;&-@;$!!!!!

2014. - still lose to VT Miami, UGA and some OOC. Fuck it.

Rfjeff9 kills some deer in 2014. Also Duck. Much Fishing accomplished.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand this criterion of getting a young coach. It makes little sense to me.
It's like the media put out this tidbit of info, and suddenly the mouth-breathers pick up on it and use it in debates without thinking about it.

Can a great 57yo coach give you 8+, 10+, 12+ years of good coaching? EASILY.
Why would any top tier University not take that.

In fact, it makes much *MORE* sense for a top tier University like Texas to just poach great coaches with a long, proven track record every decade or so than to take a chance on a young, less stable coach who has sudden success.

So, to me, it makes MORE sense for Texas to take an older coach than a younger coach. I don't know how this "young coach" criterion takes a hold in y'all's brains so much so that you keep bringing it up in debates.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those Kansas losses had to suck ass on a whole nother level

I just hope we don't follow up Brown with Art Briles

Yup. 2005 and 2007. I was listening to one of them on the radio with a KU fan in the room. He was LOL.

Those were KU's only wins over Nebraska in 42 years. Nebraska has been losing to anybody and everybody since about 2002.

That Briles would accept a Texas offer is the talk of the morning on disney.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briles would definitely bring a change of culture to Texas Football.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briles would definitely bring a change of culture to Texas Football.
-
That he would. Jut something unseemly about the guy. The steroid rumors. Undisciplined teams. Results are there, but there is just something I can not put my finger on.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Texas Football program is dominated by Christian philosophy, hence why some in the NFL call the players soft. I also think this is why some elite HS football players don't want to play for the Longhorns.
Briles will pursue any player that he thinks can help his team win games and will overlook character deficiencies. Briles and his methods are also not respected by many Texas HS football coaches. The loss in the Fiesta Bowl does not help his chances to get the Texas job.

I'd like the Next HC to be strong offensively or defensively. I'd prefer a strong defensive coach. I'd also like a coach who is willing to pursue OOS elite talent as hard as he does Texas HS football players.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Texas Football program is dominated by Christian philosophy, hence why some in the NFL call the players soft. I also think this is why some elite HS football players don't want to play for the Longhorns.
Briles will pursue any player that he thinks can help his team win games and will overlook character deficiencies. Briles and his methods are also not respected by many Texas HS football coaches. The loss in the Fiesta Bowl does not help his chances to get the Texas job.

I'd like the Next HC to be strong offensively or defensively. I'd prefer a strong defensive coach. I'd also like a coach who is willing to pursue OOS elite talent as hard as he does Texas HS football players.
-
I want a core competency in the next coach. If I was deciding I would bring in guys like Malzahn, Briles, Strong, and Dantonio. If it was a 3 hr interview I would spend 2 hrs asking Malzahn and Briles about their plans for the defense and 2 hrs on offense for Dantonio and Strong.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFA the offensive HC, I'd ask, "Are you willing to bring back Chizik as DC?" Yep, I know some don't like him, but he did good at Texas.
AFA the defensive HC, I'd ask that they hire someone competent and stay out of their way.
:noidea: