• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Lions HC

Next Lions HC?

• Lovie Smith (just get him a decent OC and were set)

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Rex Ryan (see Lovie)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Mark Dantonio (maybe he can help our corners)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill O'Brien (only the Lions in worse shape than PSU)

• John Gruden (did he throw his name in the hat last night)

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Cowher (rumor is he will only take the Giants job but I put him here anyways)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Ken Wisenhunt (Calvin would love him)

• Mike Zimmer (he'd make our D a top 3 unit)

• Jay Gruden (if pops won't unretire it's plan B)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dark horse guy getting some love is Jim Mora. He was let go from the Seattle job before getting a chance due to Carroll becomming available.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw and Zimmerman are two more names I like.

If we want to go with a fresh college coach then Shaw is definitely our guy, imo.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Whisenhunt would be a perfect fit for the Lions right now. He can win with the players that are already on the the Lions roster. He did good things early on in AZ.

The downside is that he was never able to develop young players. He won early on with Denny Green's players & Warner. He also lost many players on the team in his last 2 seasons as the HC here. By lost, I mean there were more than a few players who stopped buying what Whisenhunt was selling.

So if you are looking for a win now type of HC, I think Whis would be the best fit. Just don't expect a lot of development from young players. If you were to pair him with a strong GM, I think that could lead to long term success in Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me anybody who promises not to hire coordinators that will:
1. run the wide-9 defense
2. run empty set offensive looks in short yardage without a mobile QB.

Lovie Smith is a winning HC. He has playoff experience. He built the top notch Bears defense that completely dissolved immediately after he left. He won without a QB until Cutler arrived. He won despite being in a division with good/great Packer teams for all of those 8 or 9 seasons.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. run empty set offensive looks in short yardage without a mobile QB.

Did anyone see the Packers try that yesterday in the red zone? Rodgers running for his life pretty much from the snap of the ball. He threw and INT on the play. Maybe that alignment just isnt a good one.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see the Packers try that yesterday in the red zone? Rodgers running for his life pretty much from the snap of the ball. He threw and INT on the play. Maybe that alignment just isnt a good one.

I like it when it is used as a personal mismatch. Go out there with Fauria Bush Bell Johnson and Pettigrew as your skill players. Line up with two tight end and two backs our one and three. Then quickly shift to no back and take advantage of their run first defensive personnel. This strategy is predicated on often staying in the run package and using the run to set it up.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisenhunt, Horton and O'Brien are still my 3 favorites...

Off the Mlive list Id say Shaw, Whisenhunt and Lovie. Im assuming the Texans pay up before the interview season goes into high gear on O'Brien. I'd also like to see Kubiak interview. What's Russ Grimm up to? Still unemployed?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whisenhunt and Lovie.

Prob two most realistic names right now. Would welcome both. Lovie would need to find a QB minded OC that wants to work with Stafford though. Wisenhunt could retain Gunny and I wouldn't hate it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Lovie coupled with the right OC. (Everybody loves the Tampa Two right?)You want Gunther gone pretty bad eh?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Lovie coupled with the right OC. (Everybody loves the Tampa Two right?)You want Gunther gone pretty bad eh?

NFL network just said Lovie said he will have Jeff Tedford as OC.... Hire Lovie today!! No need for Rooney rule here. One interview and done!!

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Lovie just can't run a good offense. His defenses are money, but we have the skill players to run the shit up on the scoreboard. We need a coach that will do that, not be conservative.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you are looking for a win now type of HC, I think Whis would be the best fit. Just don't expect a lot of development from young players.
We already had a staff that didn't develop players. I don't know too much about Wis so I'll take your word for it. If what you say is true, then I personally wouldn't want him. We need a coach that can use that talent already here and build longterm as well. Not asking too much eh?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we started running the Tampa 2 in 2006 we were already late to the party. I mean there were about 8-10 teams running that base defense at that time. How many still run that as a base defense? Better question, who's still running that defense successfully? I don't want Lovie either way but if he's bringing that tired ass Tampa 2 then, please, stay the fuck out of Detroit! Everyone is concerned with the O and whether he can bring a Tedford or someone that can do something with the O and I'd be just as worried about the D. I just think that Lovie is a good coach, not a great coach and he's not going to get us much further than we've been if we get any further. I don't see the Tampa 2 and a college play caller as a good thing.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions requested permission to speak with Arizona DC Todd bowles

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions requested permission to speak with Arizona DC Todd bowles

Get that pesky Rooney Rule out of the way ASAP. I hate the rule btw. Insults black people big time imo

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't insult this black person.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get that pesky Rooney Rule out of the way ASAP. I hate the rule btw. Insults black people big time imo

Agreed...

Higher/interview whomever you are intetested in. I'd be fuckin irate if I was having my time wasted because I was black and they had to interview me so they could higher someone else.

I don't give a shit what Skin tone someone has for any walk of life. I sure as shit wouldn't care how good of a tan the coach has. Capable is capable.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't insult this black person.

Well it insults me as a football fan. Anytime you treat someone differently, you're insinuating they are different. Difference is the opposite of same, or equal. The Rooney rule insinuates that the only type of people on Earth are white people, and black people. They're basically saying "Look, we talked to this black guy for 5 minutes now STFU and let us hire the guy we want to hire." And the worst part is blacks go "Ok." It's really petty, obvious and has nothing at all to do with sports. In a nutshell, it's organized lying to pacify an entire race. It's a game I don't believe in at all.