• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Lions HC

Next Lions HC?

• Lovie Smith (just get him a decent OC and were set)

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Rex Ryan (see Lovie)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Mark Dantonio (maybe he can help our corners)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill O'Brien (only the Lions in worse shape than PSU)

• John Gruden (did he throw his name in the hat last night)

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Cowher (rumor is he will only take the Giants job but I put him here anyways)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Ken Wisenhunt (Calvin would love him)

• Mike Zimmer (he'd make our D a top 3 unit)

• Jay Gruden (if pops won't unretire it's plan B)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're basically saying "Look, we talked to this black guy for 5 minutes now STFU and let us hire the guy we want to hire." And the worst part is blacks go "Ok."
This

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't be angry if they interviewed without any intent to hire you?

The problem is franchises that do it this way don't bring in the Lovie's of the world. They bring in some guy that had no reason being there in the first place. A guy that is not ready. Really look into to who some these franchises interview.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is the opposite of same, or equal. The Rooney rule insinuates that the only type of people on Earth are white people, and black people.

You do realize the "Rooney Rule" is not a white and black thing. It was a miniority thing. Ron Rivera falls in that category. It is primarily looked at that way because that is 95% or more of league makeup.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In typical Lions fashion Adam Gase would get hired cause no one expects it.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get that pesky Rooney Rule out of the way ASAP. I hate the rule btw. Insults black people big time imo

Its racism just like affirmative action, it is basically affirmative action. You give the job to the best possible candidate. As soon as you make rules favoring a certain race it is being implied that that race is different and it becomes racism. Rooney rule is the handicapped parking of the football world. Handicap spots are an advantage given to people with some sort of disability. Do blacks have a disability, because the rooney rule makes me think they do. Its everywhere unfortunately. As soon as people can see each other as humans instead of black or white, gay or straight, male or female, old or young, poor or rich this charade will continue and the media just perpetuates it.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Whisenhunt get a shot but if they were to pluck a college coach I'd like to see Urban Meyer.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was Asian, I would be super pissed........They are steroetyped as smart, Give me a smart guy, Bring in Kim Il Sung.....Rodman thinks the Asians are worthy.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize the "Rooney Rule" is not a white and black thing. It was a miniority thing. Ron Rivera falls in that category. It is primarily looked at that way because that is 95% or more of league makeup.

Ok, well there are way too many minorities than that play in the NFL. There needs to be a rule that allows white players that are less talented to have the same opportunity even though they are not as good. The NFL is composed of mostly minorities. See how ridiculous it sounds now? Its best person for job, or position period. Quit wasting everyones time trying to be political, its a joke.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Whisenhunt get a shot but if they were to pluck a college coach I'd like to see Urban Meyer.

He is a proven winner everywhere he goes. Not sure that translates to pro ball for him. Is this the Utah connection talking here LP?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was Asian, I would be super pissed........They are steroetyped as smart, Give me a smart guy, Bring in Kim Il Sung.....Rodman thinks the Asians are worthy.

Honestly I thought you were, I assumed all bus drivers were asian.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a proven winner everywhere he goes. Not sure that translates to pro ball for him. Is this the Utah connection talking here LP?

Maybe. He is a proven winner though. Everywhere he has gone all he has done is win. From Bowling Green to OSU. I don't know that he would be able to transition or not. That's the question with every college coach though.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they wait and go after Roman.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, well there are way too many minorities than that play in the NFL. There needs to be a rule that allows white players that are less talented to have the same opportunity even though they are not as good. The NFL is composed of mostly minorities. See how ridiculous it sounds now? Its best person for job, or position period. Quit wasting everyones time trying to be political, its a joke.

:agree::agree:

Hire the best guy for the job. Color shouldn't be a consideration. The Rooney Rule puts race into the equation.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, outside of this particularly fascinating conversation on race I thought the press conference was particularly interesting yesterday in terms of some of the details they gave about what they wanted in a new coach.

The part about preferring someone with head coaching experience was particularly telling. Although he added that he wouldnt elimate other candidates specifically on that basis I took that as a strong part of the "detailed specifics" described in what they were looking for.

When they added that they would get the coaches around Stafford to get him where he needs to be was also a telling point. While they added that may not specifically be in the head coach it is certainly relevant since the head coach will be the one picking his co-ordinators and assistants.

That sure sounds like to me that Wisehunt would certainly be someone high on the list of people they want to speak with. I cant even think of another guy with head coaching experience short of Lovie Smith.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sure sounds like to me that Wisehunt would certainly be someone high on the list of people they want to speak with. I cant even think of another guy with head coaching experience short of Lovie Smith.

Not in the conversation yet, Mike Tice may be shopping his resume. Jack del Rio has been mentioned as a previous HC that could be considered by teams looking for experience. Plus, all of the other HC's that were given walking papers this week would at least fit that minimum requirement. After the Andy Reid experience this year an immediate transition with no hiatus may be considered by a number of coaches.

It will be interesting to see the rumor's fly. Even more entertaining when the Lions name a new HC, and the board divides along "He's great - He sucks" lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think a lot of good minority coaches would hate the Rooney rule as most of the interviews are for show and has a token opportunity attached to them.

It's a rule and I would hate to see the Lions loose a draft pick for not following it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the penalty when they hired Mooch without interviewing candidates they knew they wouldn't hire?(Id like to see lots of interviews, walk thrus, in depth conversations, meetings this go 'round. No need to get jumpy after waiting it out to fire the last group.)

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think a lot of good minority coaches would hate the Rooney rule as most of the interviews are for show and has a token opportunity attached to them.

It's a rule and I would hate to see the Lions loose a draft pick for not following it.

Don't just interview a minority... Hire one! Lovie, please come save the Lions!