• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

News from Summer Practices

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Vinston Painter, Laurence Gibson and Nick Acree, shine along the O-Line in Tuesday's mini-scrim.

Nice to see these guys doing well especially Acree.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For all of those concerned about the early reports of LT's "hamstring injury"...

collinjcarroll Collin Carroll
For those who tweeted about Logan's "hamstring issue", you may want to make sure your Advil isn't acid. Boy was flying around today. #Hokies
4 minutes ago

Thank you, Collin....you're becoming one of our most valuable sources.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really hope Beamerball double-checked these comments before they tweeted them:

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Key battle to watch on Saturday: Mark Leal vs. Ju-Ju Clayton for #2 QB. That competition is getting intense!

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Mike Goforth NOT concerned about Logan Thomas' hammy. "It's just sore. He's a tough kid. We're treating the soreness. He'll be fine."

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Greg Nosal (Left Guard) has been cleared to "fully" participate in Saturday's Stadium Scrimmage #1.

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Rules for QB's for Sat's Scrimmage: 1. No contact in the pocket. 2. If QB scrambles, allowed to wrap up but NO tackling to the ground.

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Mark Shuman's knee surgery today went well (cleaned up torn meniscus). Expected to miss the next 2-4 weeks.

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Ricardo Young (QB) will NOT participate in Saturday's Stadium Scrimmage #1 due to "personal reasons."

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And now for something completely different!

"Coach Beamer runs out of the tunnel faster than our long snapper runs down the field." -John Ballein, Director of Football Operations

Caleb Farris plays like an angry bouncer. Also happens to have the hairiest chest on the team. Dont try & tell me those things arent related

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruh roh. Eric Martin got hurt on the 1st play of today's scrimmage. Hope it aint serious.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ruh roh. Eric Martin got hurt on the 1st play of today's scrimmage. Hope it aint serious.

it was his shoulder they wrapped it and packed it with ice. FWIW Seagel didnt look too concerned, but that may be simply because there's not a whole lot he could do on the sideline.

He went up for a pass (nice leaping catch) and landed on his shoulder.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A couple of random thoughts from the scrimmage:

Leal looked good against the #1 D. Threw the ball accurate and on time, and didnt seem to be fazed much by the pressure. The one thing about Leal that really stands out to me is how fast he is getting better. He didnt look all that great in the first scrimmage of the spring, then he looked a little better the next time, and by the spring game he seemed to really be one with the offense. Tonight he looked like he could lead the team if needed. Rep to who ever it was that called him over juju and cardo in the QB thread!

Gregory looks to be back to where he was before the injury.

IMO DW is way to dangerous of a kick returner to keep out of the game. They let him field one tonight and it was video game like! BTW David Wilson ran through arm tackles like a fullback tonight, His explosiveness and agility make him hard to tackle.

Stinespring might very well be the spark we need at OL. He was all over those guys tonight, slapping hands and asses on the positives and going ballistic over the negatives. <----a huge difference from newsome. I also like the way stiney was coaching them up on the bench, i dont remember newsome ever being that interactive. Biggest prob on the OL seemed to be false starts, but i guess you could expect some of that this early in camp and missing starters. (fwiw the 1st OL seemed to play pretty well against the 1st d)

I would also be willing to wager that we block a couple of punts this year.

Didnt see a whole lot of logan thomas but he and Marcus Davis seem to have the greatest chemistry.

Danny Coale still seems to be the punter and it appears that no one is really even challenging him.

Cody Journell kicked either all or most of the FG's and Pats I think he missed 1 fg, made 2. and made all the pats. Both he and branthover looked good in warm ups.

(something weird i noticed was that prior to the scrimmage starting there was some guy punting from the back of the EZ out over the 50 <--barefoot. I dont know who this guy is but get him on the team)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice recap hunz.. I take it you were there. Nice to see us developing some good depth at OL, nice to hear Stiney is making it happen, some of our brighter moments there in the last 15 years were when he was running them IMO. Hate to hear Young may be leaving, not surprising though. Sounds like he will be our no.4 at best for the next couple years, can't say U blame him.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Nice recap hunz.. I take it you were there. Nice to see us developing some good depth at OL, nice to hear Stiney is making it happen, some of our brighter moments there in the last 15 years were when he was running them IMO. Hate to hear Young may be leaving, not surprising though. Sounds like he will be our no.4 at best for the next couple years, can't say U blame him.

i think the young thing is now official.

Some things i forgot to mention. (btw i left before it was completely over so i may have missed some things)

Holmes looked pretty impressive and imo will be a heck of a RB in a year or two.

Gayle is a beast, but you guys already knew that.

The young WR knowles looked better than expected (not only because he is a fr but i dont think he played football until late in HS) and is FAST.

My buddy who post on a couple other sites says that other people werent as impressed with gregory as i was. IMO he looked really good, he was usually running behind the #2 line against the #1 D so to even be gaining yards means something.

I dont really remember seeing a whole lot of JO but my old lady reminded me that he did have on bruising run for about 5 yards.

I know i already said that WIlson is a beast but he really seemed to play with intensity. He has a lot more power than he did last year <----he is about as impressive @ RB than any RB ive seen.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of random thoughts from the scrimmage:

Tonight he looked like he could lead the team if needed. Rep to who ever it was that called him over juju and cardo in the QB thread!

I was one of them not sure the only one though! Sad Young is transfering though but tough to blame him if he feels he can contribute somewhere after falling behind here with injuries.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official per Roanoke.com, Leal is our backup.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major bummer. DT Battle out for season with ACL tear.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Battle is out for the season again with a torn ACL, per Mike Goforth. This kid can't catch a break.

Maddy will certainly not be redshirting it appears (not that anyone thought he would).

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Battle is out for the season again with a torn ACL, per Mike Goforth. This kid can't catch a break.

Maddy will certainly not be redshirting it appears (not that anyone thought he would).

Copycat

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DarrylSlater Darryl Slater
Scott Demler has moved ahead of WR Danny Coale in the punting competition. Beamer seemed to be leaning toward Demler yesterday.

Personally, I think that's best for Coale. I'd prefer that he run routes/catch passes, and not have to worry about punting, too. All it takes is one roughing the punter play to cause an injury we don't need.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Battle out for the year, Wiles is going to have to spend more time bringing the new DTs up to speed. Sounds like Maddy has caught on, time for the switch to flip for Harley.

Current DT depth chart:
-----------------------

DT:
----
56 Antoine Hopkins | 6-0, 299, Jr., 2V
55 Isaiah Hamlette | 6-4, 274, Jr., RS
0 Kris Harley | 6-0, 290, Fr., TR

NT:
----
98 Derrick Hopkins | 6-0, 298, So., 1V
0 Luther Maddy | 6-1, 282, Fr., TR
53 Dwight Tucker | 6-1, 273, Jr., 1V

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Zack McCray up to 2nd team behind J.R. Collins on updated depth chart.
1 minute ago