• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Year's Six Predictions: Week 9(According to SportsHoopla Poll)

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do Vegas odds have to do with anything?

If you want to see how different it is to play on the road at night vs. at home, just look at the last 5 years in the OSU-PSU series:

2012: 12-0 OSU wins 35-23 over 8-4 PSU in Happy Valley
2013: 12-2 OSU wins 63-14 at home over 7-5 Penn State
2014: 14-1 National Champ OSU wins 31-24 in OT over 7-6 Penn State in Happy Valley
2015: 12-1 OSU wins 38-10 over 7-6 Penn State at home
2016: You know what happened here

One OSU lineman said this year that his facemask was rattling, it was so loud during the whiteout. That makes an enormous difference on how both sides play. I'd have no problem saying OSU would've won by 3-4 TDs if we got to play PSU at home. It's just how the series has gone.

Well, Vegas odds take into account a lot of data.

In depth studies have been done that say home field advantage is worth about 3.5 to 4 points over a neutral field and 7 to 8 points Home vs Away.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan was missing an All-American level CB (seen here) Jourdan Lewis.

Michigan was missing starting DE Taco Charlton.

NFL Draft Prospects

Michigan was missing starting DT Bryan Mone.

But I'm sure you knew that already, so why don't this things matter to you?
Take away those 3 players from michigan and the QB from Colorado and michigan still has an exponential advantage in terms of talent. Hell that's true even with Colorado's QB healthy.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Vegas odds take into account a lot of data.

In depth studies have been done that say home field advantage is worth about 3.5 to 4 points over a neutral field and 7 to 8 points Home vs Away.
On average, maybe. Playing a noon game at Rutgers is a far, far cry from playing a night game in Camp Randall or Happy Valley.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take away those 3 players from michigan and the QB from Colorado and michigan still has an exponential advantage in terms of talent. Hell that's true even with Colorado's QB healthy.

Take away those three players from Michigan and the QB from Colorado and Colorado doesn't score 21 points on offense.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan was missing an All-American level CB (seen here) Jourdan Lewis.

Michigan was missing starting DE Taco Charlton.

NFL Draft Prospects

Michigan was missing starting DT Bryan Mone.

But I'm sure you knew that already, so why don't this things matter to you?
Doesn't Jabril make up for all of them???

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On average, maybe. Playing a noon game at Rutgers is a far, far cry from playing a night game in Camp Randall or Happy Valley.

And playing a home game vs Wisconsin is a far, far cry from playing a home game vs Rutgers.

In 3 games against 3 common opponents, Ohio St.'s defense has given up 842 yards to Michigan's 389 yards. I'm sorry but you can't blame that all on where the game was played and if it was at night or during the day.

Well, I mean you CAN.... and I'm sure you WILL..... but that's because you are unwilling to concede that Michigan's defense has played better.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take away those three players from Michigan and the QB from Colorado and Colorado doesn't score 21 points on offense.
If michigan was a top 3 defense in the last decade, they shouldn't have done it regardless. Also, keep in mind they did that in just barely over 1 half of play.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Jabril make up for all of them???

No. Jabrill Peppers alone doesn't make the defense elite. Jabrill Peppers along with a handful of NFL talent (including Jourdan Lewis and Taco Charlton) make the defense elite.

Without Lewis and Charlton, the defense is good but not elite. Grasp the concept?

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If michigan was a top 3 defense in the last decade, they shouldn't have done it regardless. Also, keep in mind they did that in just barely over 1 half of play.

I don't think that Michigan is a top 3 defense in the last decade. I think Michigan is an elite defense when healthy. When Lewis, Charlton, and Mone are all out the defense is no longer healthy hence no longer elite.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Jabrill Peppers alone doesn't make the defense elite. Jabrill Peppers along with a handful of NFL talent (including Jourdan Lewis and Taco Charlton) make the defense elite.

Without Lewis and Charlton, the defense is good but not elite. Grasp the concept?

Obviously you don't

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And playing a home game vs Wisconsin is a far, far cry from playing a home game vs Rutgers.

In 3 games against 3 common opponents, Ohio St.'s defense has given up 842 yards to Michigan's 389 yards. I'm sorry but you can't blame that all on where the game was played and if it was at night or during the day.

Well, I mean you CAN.... and I'm sure you WILL..... but that's because you are unwilling to concede that Michigan's defense has played better.
I haven't said michigan's defense hasn't played better. To this point it's pretty hard to argue that. I'm saying that when you simply look at each team's schedule, both in terms of who they've played and where/when they've had to play these games, OSU has had a much tougher schedule and has performed comparably. I'm not sure what studies you're talking about in terms of away games vs. home games, but they don't apply at all when you're talking about the sort of hostile environments OSU has had to play in vs. where michigan has had to.

It's impossible to fully qualify that aspect, but you don't have to search much to find the quotes from players that have actually had to play in these situations. Oklahoma, Penn State and Wisconsin are routinely listed among the 10 toughest environments to play in college football. Playing in friendly home confines mean a lot more when you're playing legit competition vs. creampuffs like Rutgers and MSU.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Michigan is a top 3 defense in the last decade. I think Michigan is an elite defense when healthy. When Lewis, Charlton, and Mone are all out the defense is no longer healthy hence no longer elite.
I agree with this statement entirely.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you this - let's take Lewis (top CB), Charlton (top DE) and Mone (#3 DT) off of michigan's defense. Then let's take CB Marshon Lattimore (#15 overall NFL prospect on Todd McShay's current big board), DE Tyquan Lewis (OSU sack leader, projected 3-4th rounder), and DT Robert Landers (#3 DT) from OSU's defense.

Which defense is better in your opinion?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. By the way, how did that poll you posted wind up?

I have told you before, whether you want to believe me or not is up to you. The poll is still on-going. Based on conversations here, did you vote Ranking A?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have told you before, whether you want to believe me or not is up to you. The poll is still on-going. Based on conversations here, did you vote Ranking A?
Nope, C. Though all of them are horrible reflections of accurate rankings.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting considering you love to quote ppg so often.
Not really. As I have already said in both threads, all 3 were horrible rankings when trying to give an accurate top 25, or top 40.