• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Year's Six Predictions: Week 9(According to SportsHoopla Poll)

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d3202001126fe63c3e5b6f8bcf00822ccee6f6c36d6c6196b34403f31d004bdf.jpg
So they've faced a higher scoring team? Please, continue.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that his arguement is based on playing weak opponents but then cites Ohio St. playing Tulsa as some sort of feather in OSU's cap (despite Tulsa having such high scoring numbers because of their weak schedule). It's hypocritical but not surprising that he would do so.

Thankfully, Football Outsiders has a metric that accounts for defense on a play-by-pay basis, accounts for garbage time production, and adjusts for strength of opponent.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2016 NCAA S&P+ RATINGS, DEFENSE

But now what you will see is the Ohio St. fan dismiss this metric because it doesn't support his agenda.

Yeah you won't get anywhere with him bringing up efficiency numbers, or accounting for strength of opposition or garbage time TD's. And I'm not even saying Ohio State's defense is bad. Ohio State's defense is great this year, just not as good as Michigan's, whose defense is one of the 2 or 3 best we've seen in the last decade.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that his arguement is based on playing weak opponents but then cites Ohio St. playing Tulsa as some sort of feather in OSU's cap (despite Tulsa having such high scoring numbers because of their weak schedule). It's hypocritical but not surprising that he would do so.

Thankfully, Football Outsiders has a metric that accounts for defense on a play-by-pay basis, accounts for garbage time production, and adjusts for strength of opponent.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2016 NCAA S&P+ RATINGS, DEFENSE

But now what you will see is the Ohio St. fan dismiss this metric because it doesn't support his agenda.
Tulsa has been a high-scoring offense for the past couple of years, and they were full of returning upperclassmen playmakers this year. I'm not saying they're an elite offense, but they put up points. Including our game, they've scored under 20 points twice in the last two years, and under 30 points 3 times. We held them to 3.
I've never said michigan is a bad defense. I've said they haven't faced an elite offense yet, which they absolutely haven't.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you won't get anywhere with him bringing up efficiency numbers, or accounting for strength of opposition or garbage time TD's. And I'm not even saying Ohio State's defense is bad. Ohio State's defense is great this year, just not as good as Michigan's, whose defense is one of the 2 or 3 best we've seen in the last decade.
Based on playing one decent offense, Colorado. And playing only two road games against two absolutely pathetic teams. Wow, that's one of your most absurd statements ever.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try again. Focus on the bolded. I tried to make it easy for you.
Simple question, buddy. What higher scoring offense have they faced? I simply stated a fact. You also never bolded anything, moron.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most people would agree with you. Objective metrics would agree with you. Hell, even Ohio St. fans should agree with you. He won't, though.

Ohio St. has a better offense than Michigan. Michigan has a better defense than Ohio St. This is pretty easy for anyone wiling to be objective to concede.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people would agree with you. Objective metrics would agree with you. Hell, even Ohio St. fans should agree with you. He won't, though.

Ohio St. has a better offense than Michigan. Michigan has a better defense than Ohio St. This is pretty easy for anyone wiling to be objective to concede.
I'd say this is arguable at this point. For some reason, we've completely gone away from passing. If we just keep running the speed option over and over, we won't make it out of this weekend alive. The way we've played the last two weeks is beyond disappointing.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say this is arguable at this point. For some reason, we've completely gone away from passing. If we just keep running the speed option over and over, we won't make it out of this weekend alive. The way we've played the last two weeks is beyond disappointing.

I wouldn't argue it because I think Ohio St. has a better offense than Michigan.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bolded within the quote, moron. Go try again.
You mean when you bolded that Colorado has the 33rd highest scoring offense in the nation, which they do? I'm not sure what your point is. If you have anything showing they are higher than the 33rd highest scoring team in the nation, I'm all ears.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean when you bolded that Colorado has the 33rd highest scoring offense in the nation, which they do? I'm not sure what your point is. If you have anything showing they are higher than the 33rd highest scoring team in the nation, I'm all ears.

Expand the quote, bud.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Colorado play the Bugeaters in a bowl game.

Edit: I'm thinking Holiday Bowl

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expand the quote, bud.
I did. I saw the part about our PPG including a pick 6 and a ST TD. Colorado had a defensive TD against you, right? So that only makes their offense lower scoring overall. Still waiting for you to refute that they're somehow not the 33rd highest scoring team in the nation.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You saw both bolded parts and are still confused? Are you shitting me? lol

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on playing one decent offense, Colorado. And playing only two road games against two absolutely pathetic teams. Wow, that's one of your most absurd statements ever.

Yes, I know they've played shitty offenses. All the data is collected the same way. Two teams in the last decade have rated out higher in terms of efficiency then this years Michigan defense. TWO. You act like the shit I say is so absurd, yet you're the one that thinks Tulsa is the 12th best offense in the country.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've got to wonder what makes these michigan fans so confident they could keep Alabama or any elite offense to under 30?

So far this year, the highest scoring team they've faced is Colorado at 33rd in the nation, and they put up 28 (Yes I know, you were missing a couple of guys. This same Colorado couldn't even hit close to 28 on USC or Stanford so that argument is BS).

Then there's also the fact that michigan has played 2 road games all year (TWO), and those were against teams that are each 2-6.

Perhaps the michigan fans here should dial it back a bit until you beat a team with a real offense. I'd argue at this point that OSU's defense has been just as good, if not better, considering we've faced the #5 and #12 scoring teams in the nation and are only giving up an average of 3.5 more PPG (and our number includes a pick 6 and a kick return TD, which shouldn't factor into defensive numbers).

I honestly can't believe I need to spell it out this much. Talk about being blinded by your double standards.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulsa has been a high-scoring offense for the past couple of years, and they were full of returning upperclassmen playmakers this year. I'm not saying they're an elite offense, but they put up points. Including our game, they've scored under 20 points twice in the last two years, and under 30 points 3 times. We held them to 3.
I've never said michigan is a bad defense. I've said they haven't faced an elite offense yet, which they absolutely haven't.

Tell me all of these solid defense Tulsa faces.

North Carolina A&T?
Tulane?

If your argument against Michigan's ranking is that Michigan doesn't play good offenses, then pimping Tulsa's PPG makes you a look like a big hypocritical fuck.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I know they've played shitty offenses. All the data is collected the same way. Two teams in the last decade have rated out higher in terms of efficiency then this years Michigan defense. TWO. You act like the shit I say is so absurd, yet you're the one that thinks Tulsa is the 12th best offense in the country.
Never one time did I say Tulsa was the 12th best offense. In fact, I even said I acknowledge that they aren't elite. However, they score points. I provided plenty of examples of that. They're a more potent offense than arguably any team michigan has faced this year.

The shit you say is absurd. You admit they've played shitty offenses yet you're ready to anoint them one of the 3 best defenses in the last decade. Yes, that shit is absurd.