• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New pro spring league to be announced - 8 teams in 2014, 10 in 2015

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gil Brandt:

In a month a new pro spring league will be announced. 8 teams in 2014, 10 in 2015. Will play in old USFL cities w/same names.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gil Brandt:

This new league is not affiliated with the NFL, not a developmental league. Leauge bought rights to all old USFL names (eg NJ Generals)

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why the NFL hasn't done a developmental league. It makes so much sense.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't get why the NFL hasn't done a developmental league. It makes so much sense.

How about NFL Europe? Was an attempt to combine developmental league with exposing Europe to the sport.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about NFL Europe? Was an attempt to combine developmental league with exposing Europe to the sport.

yea, true. but the fact that it was in Europe killed it. I mean more like baseballs minor leagues.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arete, the NFL does have developmental league - it's called College. Honestly, beyond college, I would think the average length of an NFL career, or just a football career in general, really wouldn't allow for something in between. But I guess you could pick-up those who survive it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

it makes some sense if you don't factor in financials, but when you do.............

if it takes 2-3 years to develop from undrafted level to NFL caliber, would teams be as interested in 'older' players? i'd think some could transition but wouldn't most be back-ups, or role players? i'm sure there are examples of starters, but referring to the majority?

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel like the only way you could do this is if 1) You allow players to be drafted after one year in college like basketball or 2) the draft expands to more rounds

Or both of those would have to happen

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the only way you could do this is if 1) You allow players to be drafted after one year in college like basketball or 2) the draft expands to more rounds

This. - Good Idea's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

wouldn't item 1) be more similar to baseball more than basketball, you can start them after high school? cause if you go by basketball (1 year), it encourages them to leave college and it hurts the college game?

for item 2)......so when draft time rolls around, all the developmental players go into the draft pool?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arete, the NFL does have developmental league - it's called College. Honestly, beyond college, I would think the average length of an NFL career, or just a football career in general, really wouldn't allow for something in between. But I guess you could pick-up those who survive it.

For guys like La'Roi Glover, Adam Vinatieri, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Kurt Warner,Atari Bigby, Harvey Dahl, Lance Moore, Brian Waters, Kelly Gregg, Cullen Jenkins, Aubrayo Franklin, Antonio Smith, Jake Delhomme, and John Kitna college wasn't enough to get them recognition they deserved. Not to mention useful backups like Blake Costanzo and Shaun Hill.

I'm sure those guys where grateful for the years they played in NFLE, it was better for them than sitting on a bench rotting away, or even worse working as a used car dealer and never getting any chance. When they did break in the NFL they still had more than enough years to help their teams.

I think the biggest problem with NFLE is it didn't develop players for the teams they we associated with. They wen't there and played a whole new system, with different assignments. If the NFL had minor league 49ers that actually prepaid players to be able to step in and play for us, it would be much better.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For guys like La'Roi Glover, Adam Vinatieri, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Kurt Warner,Atari Bigby, Harvey Dahl, Lance Moore, Brian Waters, Kelly Gregg, Cullen Jenkins, Aubrayo Franklin, Antonio Smith, Jake Delhomme, and John Kitna college wasn't enough to get them recognition they deserved. Not to mention useful backups like Blake Costanzo and Shaun Hill.

I'm sure those guys where grateful for the years they played in NFLE, it was better for them than sitting on a bench rotting away, or even worse working as a used car dealer and never getting any chance. When they did break in the NFL they still had more than enough years to help their teams.

I think the biggest problem with NFLE is it didn't develop players for the teams they we associated with. They wen't there and played a whole new system, with different assignments. If the NFL had minor league 49ers that actually prepaid players to be able to step in and play for us, it would be much better.

So, a league that is essentially an exaggerated version of the practice squad?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
basically.

then you'll need 32 teams, each one supported by their City's fan base. cause if there isn't enough fans to support it, TV money can't kick in.

it comes back to financials...............

KingFlea

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very intriguing idea Arete - It will be interesting to see if something can come of it.

I love the idea of each team in the NFL having their own 'farm' club. The key is to keep the team in a city close by where the NFL franchise is! For Sf that could be either Sacramento or San Jose I suppose. For the Raiders I could see a farm club being put in LA possibly(??)

But we all are making too much sense. Of course, with every failed sports venture, there always seems to be a 'need' to put a team in Las Vegas. And we'll have idiotic nicknames like the 'rage', wild, XXXXXXTREME!, Wow, etc... etc... Makes no sense to me.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then you'll need 32 teams, each one supported by their City's fan base. cause if there isn't enough fans to support it, TV money can't kick in.

it comes back to financials...............

I've never seen a minor league baseball game on TV. :suds: