• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Orleans Bryce Dejean-Jones killed

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing the NBA has for sure is the top 100 camp. Granted, it takes place before these guys enter their senior year of high school, but they spend a good deal of time on money management and personal conduct among other things throughout the week.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be a good idea for the NFL and MLB to do that too. A lot of these players are still in their teens when they enter professional sports and may not be mentally mature enough to handle the lifestyle that goes with all that money.
All the class time in the world wouldn't change this situation.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL already has the rookie symposium and I thought the NBA had something like it too. I could be wrong though. Trouble is, no matter how effective the class is, you are not going to undo a lifetime of habits in 1 week.

I think what many of these guys really need is a life coach. A successful, responsible adult who they respect that could fill a variety of roles from financial advisor to babysitter.

Been saying this for years. You take guys in there late teens and early 20's, many of whom have grown up with less than nothing, hand them millions of dollars and expect them to know how to handle it.

My family wasn't either rich or poor and I'm pretty sure that if someone handed me that kind of money, that young, I'd have had some trouble handling it myself. Fortunately, I had parents who would have put me in check and kept me from going too crazy. A lot of these guys don't even have that.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL already has the rookie symposium and I thought the NBA had something like it too. I could be wrong though. Trouble is, no matter how effective the class is, you are not going to undo a lifetime of habits in 1 week.

I think what many of these guys really need is a life coach. A successful, responsible adult who they respect that could fill a variety of roles from financial advisor to babysitter.

The colleges need to take it upon themselves to coach these kids into making good decisions. A lot of these destructive habits these kids form form during college.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally believe that all of these players should have to attend a summer session for about a week and it be about one or two weeks that deals with finances, suggestions, how to care for your health and not letting your personal life rage out of control. Explain to them that they represent the NBA and have to hold up an image. In my job - I had lectures in how to dress when entering a business to audit them. How to talk to them and how to represent our auditing firm. As the auditor I am sometimes the only contact the person I am auditing has with his insurance carrier and it is important that that impression be a good one. I don't know if it would help, but I do think the NBA should try

The NBA has been doing it for over a decade.

NBA.com - Orientation Week

They don't take it seriously.

Chalmers, Arthur Caught With Weed/Women At Rookie Camp | SLAMonline

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The colleges need to take it upon themselves to coach these kids into making good decisions. A lot of these destructive habits these kids form form during college.

I disagree. The one and dones are only there for 6 months or so. Once the season ends, they are off. good college programs do what they can, but coaches don't have as much time as you think, especially with the elite players.

Trust me, as someone who used to work with high profile high school athletes, I can tell you that the sense of entitlement starts long before college.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The one and dones are only there for 6 months or so. Once the season ends, they are off. good college programs do what they can, but coaches don't have as much time as you think, especially with the elite players.

Trust me, as someone who used to work with high profile high school athletes, I can tell you that the sense of entitlement starts long before college.

Yeah, that's true. For the stars, they start getting this type of treatment as early as high school.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read an article with a little more about this guy.

He started his college career at USC where he started the first 10 games of the season and he averaged 11.2 points per game. His playing time dwindled and his relatioship with then coach Kevin O'Neill soured when he refused to go into a game against Oregon St.

He transferred to UNLV and averaged 11.4 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists, he left the program after 2 seasons because of a falling out with a teammate.

He then transferred to Iowa St. where he averaged 10.5 points and apparently had no more issues.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was he drunk?

Amazing how people don't understand their alcohol tolerance.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reports of alcohol. Seems like he was drunk on stupidity.
The way I see it, a man shot an intruder and killed him. Very clearly the intruder was attacking and the fact that he had not reached the homeowner does not mean he wasn't attacking. When an intruder comes into your home, you defend yourself and when the intruder has kicked your door down and is coming straight at you - You kill him if possible. I am sorry for the family and the son, but the homeowner did the right thing

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pure stupidity and inability to control emotions. I read that this stemmed from an argument with his child's mother. Domestic violence happens all the time. Rarely does it lead to the death of the perpetrator, but it happened this time.