• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NET rankings Released

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deacs are beyond horrible

only reason why I go to the games now is so i can stop by Lexington BBQ on the way there

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go by there every single day and its all I can do not to stop

it's unbelievably good

I usually get the chopped bbq plate w a sweet tea

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im just getting back into college bball what r net rankings

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping NET was going to make more practical sense than RPI but so far it's worse imo . I know it's only 8-10 games in but I look at something like Iowa beating Iowa St by 14, teams have the same record ( 7-2 ), Iowas 2 losses are to NET number 6 and 7 while ISU losses are to 18 and 38, Iowa has 3 wins better than any win ISU has ( defeated NET 30, 55 and 56 while ISu best win is number 78 )

Both teams have won all their games by double digits and both have a single digit loss and a double digits loss yet

ISU 30
Iowa 38

Makes no sense . Hopefully it'll all sort itself out but right now I think the RPI looks better.

What do you guys think so far ?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also there are a lot of fairly startling differences like Minnesota is ranked 10 in RPI but 65 in NET ( many others are wide gaps as well ).

Pretty interesting

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This early in the season I enjoy looking at this stuff, it creates some fun talking points, but I don't get too invested or worked up over them. Barring a hostile takeover by Billy Gillispie, we'll be in the tournament. From there, it's anybody's game, as we all saw last year especially with some wild games.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This early in the season I enjoy looking at this stuff, it creates some fun talking points, but I don't get too invested or worked up over them. Barring a hostile takeover by Billy Gillispie, we'll be in the tournament. From there, it's anybody's game, as we all saw last year especially with some wild games.
It's just really intriguing the disparity in some of the rankings between the 2. Some teams are similar in ranking while others have huge differences so it makes me wonder how that's possible

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just really intriguing the disparity in some of the rankings between the 2. Some teams are similar in ranking while others have huge differences so it makes me wonder how that's possible

Ive read up on the NET pretty extensively trying to figure it out. The problem is that we don't know what constitutes "good" opponents. As calculated by what they call the TVI(Team Value Index). Also, it appears their efficiency algorithm is different than that of KenPom, as it doesn't adjust for opposition. Also, it appears the TVI is half of the algorithm overall, with efficiency making up 25% of the algorithm and then winning %, adjusted winning %(similar to RPI) and then MOV(with it capped at 10) which makes up the other 25%. I'm not sure how the TVI and adjusted winning% can be that much different, but it appears they are, and there's ALOT more weight put on this TVI algorithm. Without knowing the TVI algorithm it's really hard to understand why some teams are ranked where they are overall in NET.

I saw your example earlier of Iowa/ISU and the discrepancy in their ranking. The only thing I can think of is that ISU has been more efficient defensively to make up for the difference in better wins. They have the same winning %, same adj winning % and ISU had a better MOV seeing as how they haven't won any games by less than 10. Having looked into, I can see why this ranking may spit out ISU ahead at this point in time.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of considerable sample size is my assumption. I don't know enough about what goes into NET to have any idea. Guess I've got some learnin' to do.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive read up on the NET pretty extensively trying to figure it out. The problem is that we don't know what constitutes "good" opponents. As calculated by what they call the TVI(Team Value Index). Also, it appears their efficiency algorithm is different than that of KenPom, as it doesn't adjust for opposition. Also, it appears the TVI is half of the algorithm overall, with efficiency making up 25% of the algorithm and then winning %, adjusted winning %(similar to RPI) and then MOV(with it capped at 10) which makes up the other 25%. I'm not sure how the TVI and adjusted winning% can be that much different, but it appears they are, and there's ALOT more weight put on this TVI algorithm. Without knowing the TVI algorithm it's really hard to understand why some teams are ranked where they are overall in NET.

I saw your example earlier of Iowa/ISU and the discrepancy in their ranking. The only thing I can think of is that ISU has been more efficient defensively to make up for the difference in better wins. They have the same winning %, same adj winning % and ISU had a better MOV seeing as how they haven't won any games by less than 10. Having looked into, I can see why this ranking may spit out ISU ahead at this point in time.
Yeah it's weird because MOV should be basically the same too if it's capped at 10 and MOL is exactly the same . Tough to believe defensive efficiency makes up for TVI ( which I'd assume Iowa least in given better wins and losses ) especially when tvi is worth more to begin with

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's weird because MOV should be the same too if it's capped at 10 and MOL is exactly the same . Tough to believe defensive efficiency makes up for TVI ( which I'd assume Iowa least in given better wins and losses ) especially when tvi is worth more to begin with

Well Iowa does have two wins that are by less than 10 and one of them by was 1. Since it's capped at 10 Iowa's MOV is actually like 8.7 while ISU's in 10. It doesn't make any sense it's capped at 10 but it is. The defensive efficiency is quite big(at least according to KP) so maybe that is the difference?

I'm sure Iowa is ahead in TVI, but everything else is in favor of ISU or it's equal.

For example let's say Iowa is 20th in TVI, but 56th in the other four while ISU is 30th in TVI and 30th in the other four. And efficiency is weighted more than the other three factors.