• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska vs. Michigan - the battle of the disappointments!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you haven't noticed, we have the fantastic ability to play down to our opponent. I suspect Nebraska is better than both Akron and UConn - so I'm worried about any and all games. We're a 4th and goal conversion away from being 5-3 right now.

We won, but we basically lost to Akron - so that's worse than anything Minnesota did to you.

haha

Let's argue that my team sucks more than yours.

Your close games were over a month ago and Michigan had 3 good offensive performances prior to last Saturday.

Nebraska lost to Minnesota just 9 days ago.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first one he can get a pass on but why was the 2011 not very good? Isnt that part of his job also, to bring in good recruits?

To be fair, in that case Hoke only had like 3 weeks to get a class together because we didn't fire RR and hire a coach until like the 2nd or 3rd week in January. So about half of the 2011 class was filled with RR recruits that stayed committed to Hoke.

Furthermore, that class had some kids leave pretty early on. Greg Brown, Chris Rock, Kellen Jones, Tony Posada, Tamani Carter, Antonio Poole and Chris Barnette all left or never actually made it to Michigan - most of them were kids committed to RR. That's 7 of the 20 total recruits who are no longer on the team.

Of the remaining 13 - 7 (Wile, Clark, Heitzman, Taylor, Countess, Morgan and Beyer) are all starters or major contributors.

But ultimately, that class was left with 0 five star players, 5 four star players, 8 three star players and a two star kicker. So not quite the talent you need to jump start the program.

If you look at the previous two classes, the amount of attrition is about the same. About 40-60% of the 2009, 2010 and 2011 classes are gone.

In any case, Michigan State isn't recruiting better than that and we should be getting blown out by them.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In any case, Michigan State isn't recruiting better than that and we should be getting blown out by them.

I can't remember the last time MSU 'out-recruited' MICH...did it ever happen?
I can't imagine how good MSU would be if its annual classes were as loaded with raw talent as MICH's have been.

anyway...

Nebraska will be the next to do to Michigan what MSU did to Michigan...Lewan will be sent off the field for multiple UC penalties (in a Richie Incognito® straight jacket)...Entropy levels in Skunkbear Nation will soar.

NEBRASKA 28 - MICHIGAN 17
:suds:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember the last time MSU 'out-recruited' MICH...did it ever happen?
I can't imagine how good MSU would be if its annual classes were as loaded with raw talent as MICH's have been.

anyway...

Nebraska will be the next to do to Michigan what MSU did to Michigan...Lewan will be sent off the field for multiple UC penalties (in a Richie Incognito® straight jacket)...Entropy levels in Skunkbear Nation will soar.

NEBRASKA 28 - MICHIGAN 17
:suds:

I just don't see that happening. Nebraska's defense is no where near MSU.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see that happening. Nebraska's defense is no where near MSU.

LOL. I know you don't.
But I figured you'd feel better if someone else DID SEE IT HAPPENING.
MSU exposed major skunkbear O-line problems (which aren't likely to be fixed) that DCs with talent less than MSUs can study and use to their profit. Guarantee that Fitzgerald, Ferentz and Meyer's DCs have seen the same game tapes Pelini's DC is loving on right now.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I know you don't.
But I figured you'd feel better if someone else DID SEE IT HAPPENING.
MSU exposed major skunkbear O-line problems (which aren't likely to be fixed) that DCs with talent less than MSUs can study and use to their profit. Guarantee that Fitzgerald, Ferentz and Meyer's DCs have seen the same game tapes Pelini's DC is loving on right now.

There is just one problem with your assement, Michigan's O-line problems have been well documented for weeks! MSU didn't expose something that wasn't already known, they were just able to exploit it like no one else has, and quite possible like no one else will.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I think I'll err to the side that Michigan put up 42, 40, and 63 pts the 3 weeks prior to running into what is arguably the nations leading defense.

Total Defense........................... 1st
Rushing Defense....................... 1st
Passing Yards Allowed................ 4th
Team Passing Efficiency Defense.. 1st
Scoring Defense........................ 3rd
3rd Down Conversion Pct Defense 2nd
First Downs Defense................... 2nd

Those #s are insane.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I think I'll err to the side that Michigan put up 42, 40, and 63 pts the 3 weeks prior to running into what is arguably the nations leading defense.

Total Defense........................... 1st
Rushing Defense....................... 1st
Passing Yards Allowed................ 4th
Team Passing Efficiency Defense.. 1st
Scoring Defense........................ 3rd
3rd Down Conversion Pct Defense 2nd
First Downs Defense................... 2nd

Those #s are insane.

Unfortuantely I have to agree, MSU's defense is one of (if not the) best in the country. To think anyone else in the Big Ten is going to simple match what MSU did is just asinine.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortuantely I have to agree, MSU's defense is one of (if not the) best in the country. To think anyone else in the Big Ten is going to simple match what MSU did is just asinine.

that Ohio team might match, outdo what MSU did...and they have an offense. It's not so much a matter of 'matching' anything...but of exploiting now-known weaknesses. I disagree that MICH's O-line problems were well documented before the MSU game - otherwise they'd not have enabled the obscene avg rushing yardage & time for passing yardage in their first 3 B1G games...and still think NEB, NW, IOWA and that Ohio team will be blitzing every other snap. not hating here, I really believe MICH will go 1-3 it's last 4 games.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Michigan struggling with Iowa and Ohio St, but not Nebraska or Northwestern. I don't know that Nebraska could beat Iowa.
I'm old school in that I evaluate teams in how they compare up front on both sides of the ball. Then I consider all the other fluff.

Nebraska doesn't play well up front defensively, so that negates anyone who's offense that doesn't. Everyone (but S. Miss) has had big rushing days against Nebraska. It's not an on-and-off thing, it's a trend that's been that way for 3 years now.

Nebraska runs the ball well against average teams, but struggles in pass-pro. Therefore a team that has a good rushing defense (that can force Nebraska to have to throw) is in good position to shut them down and force mistakes.

Pelini teams don't play well on the road in big venues.

Put those three points together and there's a better chance Michigan wins by 3 scores (17 or more) than Nebraska winning a close one.

Like I said. If Nebraska can get near it's rushing average of 260 ypg. They have a chance to keep it close late.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that Ohio team might match, outdo what MSU did...and they have an offense. It's not so much a matter of 'matching' anything...but of exploiting now-known weaknesses. I disagree that MICH's O-line problems were well documented before the MSU game - otherwise they'd not have enabled the obscene avg rushing yardage & time for passing yardage in their first 3 B1G games...and still think NEB, NW, IOWA and that Ohio team will be blitzing every other snap. not hating here, I really believe MICH will go 1-3 it's last 4 games.

You mean that Ohio team that replaced 7 out of 7 starters in their front 7? The Ohio team that the defense was a question mark for the fist part of the season? The Ohio team whose DC has been a little bit on the hot seat? That Ohio team?????

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Just because someone knows what to exploit, that doesn't mean they have the ability to do it, especially to the degree that arguably the best defense in country was able to.

And you really not have been paying attention to the season. Michigan's struggles at O-line were known, heck, before the season started, the entire interior is comprised of freshmen and sophomores.

No doubt the rest of the schedule will try to do what MSU did, they just won't be able to do it to the level that MSU did.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lmao.......... yes, its impossible that ANY remaining team might shut down scUM the same way.......

:laugh3::L

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:suds: This is what I've been saying........... or 2-2 at best..........

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Ohio State will beat Michigan by about 4 td's or so. If you let MSU score 29 on you, Ohio State should be able to get about 45 or so on that defense.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean that Ohio team that replaced 7 out of 7 starters in their front 7? The Ohio team that the defense was a question mark for the fist part of the season? The Ohio team whose DC has been a little bit on the hot seat? That Ohio team?????

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Just because someone knows what to exploit, that doesn't mean they have the ability to do it, especially to the degree that arguably the best defense in country was able to.

And you really not have been paying attention to the season. Michigan's struggles at O-line were known, heck, before the season started, the entire interior is comprised of freshmen and sophomores.

No doubt the rest of the schedule will try to do what MSU did, they just won't be able to do it to the level that MSU did.
I agree with all you say just a quick correction, Shazier is the only returning starter in the front 7.

scUM's O-line problems have been well documented and I think this is the 3rd combination of the interior 3 this year for them.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yes, that's the one I was talking about.

appreciate the love...:L

I must admit...The attention I've been paying has concentrated on MSU's development and improvements to it's, ARGUABLY, worst offense in the conference...further, I've felt from day one that MICH's glorious resurrection was at least a year off; that most of MICH's press has been as arrogantly fluff as it's coaching staff's efforts to 'develop & improve' areas of concern (like MSU has with its O; like that Ohio team has with its D.)

was my point from the getgo...thank you.
they'll not only try, but they'll likely succeed...enough to win.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, that's the one I was talking about.

Ok, just so we're on the same page, we are talking about an Ohio team that has no where near the defense of MSU

appreciate the love...:L

Alabama? LSU?

A case for those teams can be made for those teams having a better defense than MSU's, they just don't have the stats because they've faced tougher competition. Hence the caveat "arguably."
:L

I must admit...The attention I've been paying has concentrated on MSU's development and improvements to it's, ARGUABLY, worst offense in the conference...further, I've felt from day one that MICH's glorious resurrection was at least a year off; that most of MICH's press has been as arrogantly fluff as it's coaching staff's efforts to 'develop & improve' areas of concern (like MSU has with its O; like that Ohio team has with its D.)

Fair enough, but if you are going to argue that MSU exposed something new on Michigan, shouldn't you at least know what Michigan's other opponents did.

was my point from the getgo...thank you.
they'll not only try, but they'll likely succeed...enough to win.

Like Notre Dame succeeded? Or Minnesota? Or heck even AKron and UConn who were also able to have some success against the Michigan interior O-line. Again, they will try, but will they have the same level of success as MSU? No, there are few teams that have the capability to pull off what MSU did. Now they will try to mimic, but will it be enough? We shall see, but given the sometimes pourous nature of the Nebraska and Northwestern and Ohio States D's, Michigan should have have some success against them.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry all...s'your thread...GBNN's right: MSU did not expose anything new about MICH's suspect O-line. All MSU did was to rip away any remaining pretenses of adjustments/improvements made by the team during it's bye week and provide a blueprint to MICH's remaining opponents on how to keep ripping a problem that MICH probably won't be fixing with what it's got.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry all...s'your thread...GBNN's right: MSU did not expose anything new about MICH's suspect O-line. All MSU did was to rip away any remaining pretenses of adjustments/improvements made by the team during it's bye week and provide a blueprint to MICH's remaining opponents on how to keep ripping a problem that MICH probably won't be fixing with what it's got.

Cannot totally disagree with that statement. Just two minor points:
True MSU "proivded a blueprint," not everyone has the personal nor the practice in the necessary schemes to run it to the same level as MSU. If even with a heavy blitz, if the players don't have the same talent as the MSU defenders they aren't going to get the same pressure, which could be a problem if they have a weak secondary.
The biggest "fix" to Michigan's interior O-lines problem is time. Remember, the reason they are struggling is because they are freshman and sophomores. So they are playing as such. But on the flip side, you never know when that unit will "click." Good coaching can speed that process, and with Funk that is doubtful to have any major impact, but even despite him they could (stress could) start play at an acceptable level any week.