• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NE Patriots 2020 Draft Thread

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy as I know that may seem based on the current roster. But if people are entertaining the idea of trading Gilmore this year, that may be an even more appealing option next year. And JMac will be a UFA and JCJ will be an RFA. If the top half of the round goes how I think it will the best value may be at CB.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m starting to think if the Pats stay at 23 the pick is going to be a CB.

It could happen. Okudah won’t be there obviously. Slight chance CJ Henderson from Florida could be there. Definitely should be are Jaylon Johnson from Utah(He would be my choice if the Patriots went the CB route) and A.J. Terrell Clemson.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be a rush on QB and then on DE. If he's there, I hope that Patriots take Tee Higgins WR Clemson. Pure outside speed can leap 38" and is a nightmare for CB and S in the end zone at 6'4".

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be a rush on QB and then on DE. If he's there, I hope that Patriots take Tee Higgins WR Clemson. Pure outside speed can leap 38" and is a nightmare for CB and S in the end zone at 6'4".
But will he earn Stidham's trust will be the big question?

oops, that was the question for the last guy.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just a quick question here (understand I do think Higgins is talented) how is he a fit within the Patriots' system? He has some of the same questions of your 1st round pick last year of struggling to get separation early in routes.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could happen. Okudah won’t be there obviously. Slight chance CJ Henderson from Florida could be there. Definitely should be are Jaylon Johnson from Utah(He would be my choice if the Patriots went the CB route) and A.J. Terrell Clemson.

After Okudah I'm not very excited about this class of DBs.

Most are either undersized IMO. Tired of DBs who are 6'-0" or shorter. There are too many big WRs out their who can separate, run past, out muscle, out jump smaller DBs. Especially with all the rules favoring the WR. They're also lacking speed. Most of the class are like 4.5 guys.

Like every draft you never can tell until it happens where the run is? Will it be QBs and DEs like BK is thinking? I'm with him I think that's the way the draft will go. So a lot of the guys will be around in the 2nd and possibly the 3rd. NE would have to shuffle some picks around but what else is new if they want to get one. I don't see a huge difference between say; Henderson, Johnson, Terrell, Arnette from Ohio, Diggs from Alabama, Dantzler from Miss State, Fulton from LSU. So I can't see jumping early for a DB. Unless BB thinks he found the next shut down guy? I just don't see it in this crop.

Address the other needs first. I'm all about trading down and getting picks. This draft has a lot to offer 1st thru 3rd round.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a quick question here (understand I do think Higgins is talented) how is he a fit within the Patriots' system? He has some of the same questions of your 1st round pick last year of struggling to get separation early in routes.

Higgins likely goes late 1st to mid second is what I'm thinking? If that's the case no way I want NE wasting that early of a pick on a WR. Lots of talented WOs in this draft you can get later if need be?

Personally I don't think NEs biggest issue were their receivers getting open. But that's a different discussion.

They already signed Quincy Adeboyejo who's 6'-3" and Damiere Byrd who's short but a deep threat. Add them (if they make the team) to the other NE WRs and I'm happy even if NE doesn't draft a WR this year. Or if they use a late pick on one.

I much rather NE go get Trautman or Kmet. They're big bodies that can do the same thing in the EZ as say a Higgins could. It's also a position NE desperately needs to fill.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins likely goes late 1st to mid second is what I'm thinking? If that's the case no way I want NE wasting that early of a pick on a WR. Lots of talented WOs in this draft you can get later if need be?

Personally I don't think NEs biggest issue were their receivers getting open. But that's a different discussion.

They already signed Quincy Adeboyejo who's 6'-3" and Damiere Byrd who's short but a deep threat. Add them (if they make the team) to the other NE WRs and I'm happy even if NE doesn't draft a WR this year. Or if they use a late pick on one.

I much rather NE go get Trautman or Kmet. They're big bodies that can do the same thing in the EZ as say a Higgins could. It's also a position NE desperately needs to fill.

Higgins is probably 10th or so on my WR Big Board for this upcoming draft. If the Broncos didn't already have Sutton he might be a smidge higher but I do think he is a bit limited because of his lack of change of direction ability. What he does he does well but yeah I think you can find other guys that can do similar things in later rounds.

As for the TE's I just can't get on board with any of them being considered 1st round talents. 2nd round yeah maybe see one going there but even then all the TE's for me are rated pretty closely in my about top-7 of the group so would rather wait until the 3rd or 4th round at the position.

On the community mock draft that BigKen is in personally I would have gone A.J. Epenesa. He fits perfectly in the type of pass rushers that Belichick loves. Patrick Queen would have made some sense as well although I really like a lot of midround LB's in this draft. Zack Baun is another that makes a ton of sense as he hits on two needs with Off-Ball LB and Edge Rusher ability.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins is probably 10th or so on my WR Big Board for this upcoming draft. If the Broncos didn't already have Sutton he might be a smidge higher but I do think he is a bit limited because of his lack of change of direction ability. What he does he does well but yeah I think you can find other guys that can do similar things in later rounds.

As for the TE's I just can't get on board with any of them being considered 1st round talents. 2nd round yeah maybe see one going there but even then all the TE's for me are rated pretty closely in my about top-7 of the group so would rather wait until the 3rd or 4th round at the position.

On the community mock draft that BigKen is in personally I would have gone A.J. Epenesa. He fits perfectly in the type of pass rushers that Belichick loves. Patrick Queen would have made some sense as well although I really like a lot of midround LB's in this draft. Zack Baun is another that makes a ton of sense as he hits on two needs with Off-Ball LB and Edge Rusher ability.

What? My heart be still. You and I agreeing on something? It must be this COVID:D

If I felt WR was a need for NE I may change my opinion slightly. But as it stands today I'm taking a WR later.

As for the TE position I agree as well. No stand out and I think either Kmet or Trautman can be had early to mid 2nd? So I'd love to see NE trade their 1st unless one of the best available falls to #23 that BB has his eye on. If that's the case take that pick and try and package some of the 3rd round picks to get into the 2nd round. Currently NE doesn't have a 2nd round pick. Kmet and Trautman I have slightly ahead of the rest of the TEs coming out. If one of these aren't available I'll wait and see who's available in the third.

Agree on Epenesa or Baun like them both. Hope BB finds away to get one?

My draft preference trade out of the 1st, TE, LB, OL/DL whichever has the best available, DL/OL whichever NE didn't select. After that DB, followed by WR/QB/K.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More BB draft trivia:

What school has BB drafted the most players from during his Patriots tenure?

Bonus attaboy if you can guess the number drafted from that school

Double secret bonus attaboy if you can name the players.

(Without googling or misquoting a book, of course)

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, nope, and nope

Michigan 5
Georgia is tied for second with 7
Rutgers 4

(Miami was 5 also btw)

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit. Only other school I can think of is Florida?? Maybe Alabama???

Last edited:

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida is correct!

BB has drafted 9 Gators.

Duke Dawson
Dominique Easley