• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA to allow players to profit on their likeness, no later than 2021

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re obviously going to have to create a tHoop online league.

If they bring back NCAA football — I will be forced to go purchase my first video game console since the first PlayStation.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is going to be forced to hire an auctioneer for recruiting purposes for Football and Basketball:lol:

We are about to see whose boosters have the most expendable cash to throw around.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you’re a fan of a mid major or small market team this news royally fucks you.
If they structure it in the correct way, it shouldn’t. It’s the NCAA so it likely will be a complete joke, but there is a way to cap the amount each student athlete can make per month. And if they go pro or drop out they can collect the full amount. A 5 star athlete would get endorsements whether at LSU or Boise State. Again, I am hopeful intelligence will prevail but doubtful they will think of something so easy to follow.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they structure it in the correct way, it shouldn’t. It’s the NCAA so it likely will be a complete joke, but there is a way to cap the amount each student athlete can make per month. And if they go pro or drop out they can collect the full amount. A 5 star athlete would get endorsements whether at LSU or Boise State. Again, I am hopeful intelligence will prevail but doubtful they will think of something so easy to follow.

That’s where I was going with it. I have zero confidence in the NCAA’s ability to regulate against undesired consequences of this. Smart people will find loop holes around this and the bigger schools in bigger markets with abundant resources will find ways to out maneuver the little guys in all this. Being an Ohio State fan I’m cool with this, but as a Virginia Tech fan I’m like “fuck”.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s where I was going with it. I have zero confidence in the NCAA’s ability to regulate against undesired consequences of this. Smart people will find loop holes around this and the bigger schools in bigger markets with abundant resources will find ways to out maneuver the little guys in all this. Being an Ohio State fan I’m cool with this, but as a Virginia Tech fan I’m like “fuck”.
Cheaters will cheat no matter where the line is drawn though. And when people argue that it is terrible because people will cheat, what the hell do you think has been going on all these years?

Bottom line, just because something is tough to regulate doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be attempted to think it out.

Oh no, this might make people’s jobs at the NCAA a little tougher, boo fricken who.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's a lot of clarity right here. Like the first bullet...so the athletes will be fed like non athletes? No separate training tables? That's so UTEPish.

And "protect the recruiting environment". :laugh3:

"There were few specifics offered by the board on Tuesday.

After getting recommendations from a working group that had been in place since May, the board said:

• Athletes must be treated similarly as non-athletes "unless a compelling reason exists to differentiate."
  • Any changes must "ensure fair and balanced competition."
  • There must be differentiation between collegiate and professional opportunities.
  • A reaffirmation that athletes are students first and not university employees.
  • Any change must "protect the recruiting environment"."
NCAA begins process to allow athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats … you have advanced to Kentucky level, off the court that is.

Off the court? I thought we were talking about football. You can add another natty if referring to MBB.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cant win if you dont participate.

Some cant win if they do participate. Even if you have a whole off season to get ready.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how they can dictate when you get paid if you are allowed to profit. Honestly that doesnt matter because if I can go to OK and get a deal making say the max vs. a shoe deal at OR making the max per month and a hefty check waiting when I leave, which do I chose. I can tell you I am a Duck.

That makes too much sense. They are going to allow boosters to pay tens of thousands of dollars to buy up every player’s they can. Oregon is about to sign the top 30 recruits every year because no one will be able to compete with that Nike money.

As much as I would love to believe this, it just isn’t the case. Phil Knight didn’t get rich off of Oregon Football. He got rich off of marketing top athletes. He gifts money to the UofO, his alma mater. It would be a terrible business decision to only sign contracts with kids for UofO.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the court? I thought we were talking about football. You can add another natty if referring to MBB.

In football only. I was trying, but apparently failing, not to confuse you with Kentucky's success off the gridiron. Oregon is basically Kentucky without basketball.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call this sudden "right" whatever you want for players to earn money. But just wait until some starry-eyed Federal judge slams the gavel someday on a decision to spread this new found wealth "more equally". It will look like the juice that comes out of that big knot on grandma's foot.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In football only. I was trying, but apparently failing, not to confuse you with Kentucky's success off the gridiron. Oregon is basically Kentucky without basketball.

I guess congrats on your 0 Mens Basketball championships. Another category you are behind Oregon on.

EllisHugh

Hoopla Cash
$ 481.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might keep some players in college longer. Some leave because their family is flat broke and even though they are marginal pro prospects they go try to make some money. Now they can possibly make a little to ease the burden for a bit and finish college.
And this will push a 4* backup or whatever to another school and level the field some. This is good for competition in cfb.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it serve Nike’s best interest to have their chosen team in the national title game in the two major sports and winning more than they lose serve their best interest, probably.
Oregon has like the 5th biggest Nike contract. there are other schools with bigger like Alabama and North Carolina

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope it goes through either the conference or NCAA for payouts. With the NCAAF game for an example, money from the gaming rights be divided by conference or sport(NCAA over it if done by sport) … placed in a trust until all eligibility is exhausted and then the payout. I really would like to see it put in a 401k type plan as far as the students can invest it into a limited number of stock/bonds/mutual funds but not withdraw any funds.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some cant win if they do participate. Even if you have a whole off season to get ready.
weird take since Oregon did win a playoff game which is what we have been talking about this whole time til you tried to change that to serve a weak argument.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon has like the 5th biggest Nike contract. there are other schools with bigger like Alabama and North Carolina
And you are ignoring the millions of dollars that he donates to the university since he is not allowed to buy players now. Rather than donate the $2 billion he has donated to Oregon, he can spend half of it on players legally.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts:

1) I think that this kills CHL alot. Hockey might be a foreign language for most here but bare with me as I explain:

Most of the Blue Chip kids choose Canadian Major Junior Hockey league because it is seen as " the fast track to the NHL". However the kids get paid a "stepand"( sp).

If kids want money, what is stopping them from going to Mid major junior programs such as BCHL, AJHL etc... because this feeds them directly to NCAA.

2) Their needs a governing board to make sure Boosters are NOT INVOLVED. The schools should be not boosters.

3) There needs to be a budget ( 10 million) to be paid for recruiting.

4) There needs to be a budget per recruit budget with OL/DL getting the most.

5) Their needs to be a limit on paid players per teams (15 I think)