• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA reducing sanctions against PSU

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe if they tried to find that kid they would have used that as a defense by now.

Since these guys were doing all kinds of illegal things, would they really say wait telling Joe what is going on is illegal we better not do that. Do you really believe they would use the "against the law" excuse to not tell Joe if he asked?

No but at the same time I think they were also trying to protect Peterno just as much as the program. Joe won a lot of games, and he ran a "clean" program all those years.

Even if Joe had lost power, I still believe he could've walked into that presidents office and made him decide, Joe could have easily said he would leave State if Sandusky wasn't banned from the premises, and he would speak very freely with the media about all of this.

The grad assistant at the time could've been more proactive at the time he saw Sandusky and the minor in the shower, I don't care how much your trying real hard to become a coach, there is a line sometimes we do need to cross to make sure inoccent people don't get harmed again, even if its against a guy that held a high standard cause of his stellar LB's...

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No but at the same time I think they were also trying to protect Peterno just as much as the program. Joe won a lot of games, and he ran a "clean" program all those years.

Even if Joe had lost power, I still believe he could've walked into that presidents office and made him decide, Joe could have easily said he would leave State if Sandusky wasn't banned from the premises, and he would speak very freely with the media about all of this.

The grad assistant at the time could've been more proactive at the time he saw Sandusky and the minor in the shower, I don't care how much your trying real hard to become a coach, there is a line sometimes we do need to cross to make sure inoccent people don't get harmed again, even if its against a guy that held a high standard cause of his stellar LB's...

He should have beat that old man to death on site, right then....

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should have beat that old man to death on site, right then....

There you got it TB.... That's what I would've done, and if I did lose my grad position I know damn well another university would give another shot for standing up and doing the right thing...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think either Joe did not ask or he asked and was lied to about this. I personally think he did not ask and neither did anyone else.

What I'm saying is that I don't know if JoePa asked or not. No one knows. What I do know, is that given everything else that we know about him, it seems odd that this would be the one time in his life that he didn't do the right thing. I also find it sad that so many are so quick to assume that he didn't ask.

Here is my opinion and it is opinion only, based on what we know of JoePa prior the this incident.

I think he reported it just as he was required to. I think that he later asked about and was told that it was being handled and that he couldn't be given any more info. because it was under investigation.

I think he was then satisfied that it was being handled and that Sandusky's access to campus (at least as far as bringing kids on campus) had been restricted. At that point, I think he was happy to let the case be handled by those who were supposed to handle it and he went on about doing his job which was to coach PSU football!!

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what he said.

Also, if the scenario that you describe happened, I would have been the eyewitness and therefore would have been "in the loop" so to speak. JoePa reported what a witness reported to him. Once he took it to those that he was required to report it to, he was out of the loop and it would have been illegal for anyone else to give him any info. other than, it's being investigated.

I understand the outrage, I worked with abuse victims for over 10 years. It sucks, but there was legally nothing more that JoePa could have done and no more information on the case that could have been given to him. It's how these kinds of cases work.

I know JoePa was the "face" of PSU and that is who we want to direct the outrage at, but it's misdirected. The outrage should be directed at Sandusky for committing the crimes, Spanier, Curley and Schultz for covering it up and McQueary for not putting a stop to it and smashing Sandusky's head into the shower floor!!

Dude! I have no outrage towards Paterno. I just think he should have, and COULD HAVE done more. And quit using the "legal" excuse for him. If Joe would have kept in contact with the authorities that were investigating, they would have kept him "in the loop", simply because he was JoPa. In this world, special people get special treatment. It is just my opinion that JoPa chose to ignore this terrible scenario, because it was his good friend involved. Is that a proven fact? No. But neither is the BS that you are spewing.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I don't have a problem with them dropping the penalties. PSU is absolutely embarrassed, and will be a for a long time. They have lost many players, and recruits because of it. I think if they were to keep them banned for this bowl season, and put them on a strict probation, they should be in good standing with the NCAA for the start of the 2014 season.

I absolutely hate seeing how PSU handled this situation (I realize that it was several "high end" people who did it, but they represent PSU), but removing these people, and pretty much stopping the program from moving forward the past few years is punishment enough IMO. Let them heal, and start over again. I can't imagine how much this has cost them financially, and I know that won't heal those poor kids that were abused, but there has to come a point when you let the school move on. I have no problem with that being next season. Regardless, it will take 2-3 years before Penn State fully recovers in terms of team depth and quality of the program. Just my two cents.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude! I have no outrage towards Paterno. I just think he should have, and COULD HAVE done more. And quit using the "legal" excuse for him. If Joe would have kept in contact with the authorities that were investigating, they would have kept him "in the loop", simply because he was JoPa. In this world, special people get special treatment. It is just my opinion that JoPa chose to ignore this terrible scenario, because it was his good friend involved. Is that a proven fact? No. But neither is the BS that you are spewing.

You really need to educate yourself on how these things work. JoePa could not have been kept in the loop simply because he was JoePa. It's illegal and it could have compromised the investigation. If that happened, Sandusky very well could have gotten off because of the investigation being compromised.

I agree that special people get special treatment, but there are limits, especially in criminal investigations. You may want to believe that the fact that it would be illegal is an excuse, but it's not, it's a fact.

Also, from everything I've read and heard, Sandusky and JoePa were not good friends, far from it.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]QmCeV7vTe-U[/YOUTUBE]

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Joe PA do anything himself? No.
Did he do everything required of him? Yes.

Good, now STFU.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Joe PA do anything himself? No.
Did he do everything required of him? Yes.
Did he do everything he could have? No.
Did he do enough? No.
Good, now STFU.

FIFY.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad for the current football players & coaches, and alumni.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sanctions were not ridiculous. They harbored and enabled a child m*****er. If they were not a huge corporation then those people would be in prison.

And how did these sanctions punish the guilty parties?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see it more as the NCAA saving face.

its pretty obvious that they not only over sanctioned psu with these ridiculous penalties, but did it in a way thats dangerous to the student athletes. having a team regulated to the likes of an FCS school but have them play a full big ten slate causes injuries. psu players are getting injured at a much higher rate than their FBS counterparts. emmert knows that if its this bad already in the beginning of the season, things are gonna be out of control by november and the "these sanctions were wrong" crowd is gonna have a lot of ammo to use against the ncaa

this has nothing to do with the NCAA taking the moral high ground, or psu improving. it is as usual emmert trying to save his own skin

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The USC thing and the PSU stuff are two entirely different things but keep digging if u must.

You are correct, very different-

USC- according to the NCAA " should have known" about Reggie and his parents getting benefits.

PSU- These criminals knew they has a child predator on campus and allowed him to r*pe young boys for years.

Another differance is sick people like you whine about some scholies when kids had lives ruined.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? Where's your proof of that? I can show you many things that happened over the last several years at PSU that went directly against JoePa's wishes and would indicate that he didn't have anywhere near the power that he had in his younger days!!

And btw, "everyone knows he had that kind of power" isn't proof!!

Now feel free pick up your torch and pitchfork along with the rest of the mob that hasn't bothered to educate themselves on this.

I don't recall the name of the former PSU player but I heard an interview that he gave on espn and said he was on the team at the time Sandusky was found in the showers with that boy and he said even then if a player got a ticket in town he knew about it ( was called by the local police) before the player made it back to his dorm. So it's hard to believe Joe Pa when he claimed he knew nothing of previous accusations about his defensive coordinator . The cops call him about a players speeding ticket but not a peep that his top assistant might be messing around with young boys? Come on now.