• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One million percent correct. I really don’t expect them to screw around with this much, Mayfield is just too popular up there..
I wouldn't say they will "screw around with it", but what I like about this regime is they don't let fans or emotion factor into their thinking.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting could cost them a pro-bowl caliber player as a cap casualty.

I don’t think there is a reason to wait.

3 possible courses of action for the Browns to peruse:

1) if you think he is your guy, extend him now
2) if you don’t think he is your guy, trade him now while his value is at its apex
3) Do nothing and reevaluate next year

The passive solution is the wrong solution, IMO. He has been their starter for 3 years, they know how he is in practice, in the locker room, etc. I just don’t think it makes sense to wait if Baker wants to get something done now.
OK, but as is so often the case you think it's 100% one way or another. They have these things called negotiations. If there is a number they both can live with he will be signed this offseason. If not, it could happen after next year. If it's more than it would have been this year then so be it. Cap is expected to go up in 2022 and explode in 2023.

what I love best about the situation is no matter what happens I have no reason to not give this regime the benefit of the doubt.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to avoid the Wentz and Goff situation is exactly what burned Washington and Dallas.

If you think Baker is your guy, there are more reasons to get the deal done today than there are to wait. This is not the time to get cheap.

Nah, those teams took it even further. There is a happy medium; you have to make a decision to extend or cut bait during that 5th year at the latest. If you let it get to franchise tags, you deserve what your pain...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but as is so often the case you think it's 100% one way or another. They have these things called negotiations. If there is a number they both can live with he will be signed this offseason. If not, it could happen after next year. If it's more than it would have been this year then so be it. Cap is expected to go up in 2022 and explode in 2023.

what I love best about the situation is no matter what happens I have no reason to not give this regime the benefit of the doubt.

I don’t think it is 100%. What are you talking about?

All I am saying is if he is your franchise QB, the sooner you sign him, the better deal you get.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think it is 100%. What are you talking about?

All I am saying is if he is your franchise QB, the sooner you sign him, the better deal you get.
OK...but that is because if they sign him early it's because he likely agreed to less than he could get on open market. and IF he will do that he'll probably be signed. You seem to be in the need to get it done now camp which only happens if baker will take less.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but that is because if they sign him early it's because he likely agreed to less than he could get on open market. and IF he will do that he'll probably be signed. You seem to be in the need to get it done now camp which only happens if baker will take less.

No.

Whatever Baker will take now will be less than what Baker will take next year assuming he plays well.

My point from the start is that playing hardball with the franchise QB is not likely to end well. Some amount of haggling is fine, but his price isn’t coming down next year.

Unless he really sucks.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Whatever Baker will take now will be less than what Baker will take next year assuming he plays well.

My point from the start is that playing hardball with the franchise QB is not likely to end well. Some amount of haggling is fine, but his price isn’t coming down next year.

Unless he really sucks.
The only way he will suck is if they ask him to play with OBJ again.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Unless he really sucks.
Ok and if his price goes up because he proves he's elite I think they'll live with it. Negotiations are not necessarily hardball on the team side FYI.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way he will suck is if they ask him to play with OBJ again.
not sure if this was sarcasm, but I'm curious to see what he'll do with OBJ. Could certainly argue he'd have improved like the rest of the offense if he remained healthy. I think he'd have been a huge help against KC.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure if this was sarcasm, but I'm curious to see what he'll do with OBJ. Could certainly argue he'd have improved like the rest of the offense if he remained healthy. I think he'd have been a huge help against KC.
They better get rid of OBJ, mayfield felt obligated to force him the ball and the results weren’t good. After he got hurt he could breathe and things got bettet.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok and if his price goes up because he proves he's elite I think they'll live with it.

They will. But the point is, the more they pay him, the less money they have for other pieces.

As soon as teams have to pay their stud QB, they have to start moving guys and replacing them with cheaper players. That makes it a lot harder to win.

Of course, if he has another good season, they're going to pay him and there are a lot worse problems than having to pay a top QB, top QB money...

but, if they can get him signed for less, maybe they can keep some of those pieces that are helping them win.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better get rid of OBJ, mayfield felt obligated to force him the ball and the results weren’t good. After he got hurt he could breath and things got bettet.

That was certainly true season before last. But maybe Baker is feeling a little more like he doesn't have to do that anymore.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will. But the point is, the more they pay him, the less money they have for other pieces.

As soon as teams have to pay their stud QB, they have to start moving guys and replacing them with cheaper players. That makes it a lot harder to win.

Of course, if he has another good season, they're going to pay him and there are a lot worse problems than having to pay a top QB, top QB money...

but, if they can get him signed for less, maybe they can keep some of those pieces that are helping them win.

Exactly.

So if they can sign him for slightly less than top QB money now, they should do it.

Because in 2 years he might command more than Mahomes on a per year basis.

Not because he is better (he won’t be) but because the last guy to get paid is often paid the most. Kirk Cousins was highest paid QB in the league for a few minutes when he signed with Minnesota.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better get rid of OBJ, mayfield felt obligated to force him the ball and the results weren’t good. After he got hurt he could breathe and things got bettet.
Having watched all the games while I think this is possible, I don't believe it. They had a 4 game winning streak with OBJ scoring between 32-49 points each game if memory serves.

did have some exceptional games but my guess would be because he felt more comfortable in the offense AND Stefanski was trusting him to go out and win games for us.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one has said anything to the contrary so I agree 100%.

all I disagree with is idea only the team could be playing hardball. Can also be the player and his agent.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having watched all the games while I think this is possible, I don't believe it. They had a 4 game winning streak with OBJ scoring between 32-49 points each game if memory serves.

did have some exceptional games but my guess would be because he felt more comfortable in the offense AND Stefanski was trusting him to go out and win games for us.

Had to look the info but you're right. Browns did have a 4 gamme winning streak (Bungles, WTF, Cowboys, Colts) before OBJ got injured. But they also had a 4 game winning streak (Texans, Eagles, Jaguars, Titans) without him.

Points scored during the 4 game winning streak with OBJ- 35, 34,49, 32. And the 4 game winning streak without him- 10, 22, 27, 41.

If the Browns get rid of OBJ it won't bother me, can't say I'm a big fan of his. A team can never have too many weapons though. And I don't question OBJ's abilities on the field. But I have questioned at times where his head is. If he can be productive without him being a pain in the ass diva keep him around. If not adios mutha fucka!

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any news on Oladipo injury?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear about this yet? :pound:

Najee Harris says espn NFL draft analyist can 'kiss my ass' over evaluation

Here's what Todd McShay said.

Harris has excellent size and decent top-end speed. He was a much more decisive runner as a senior, showing oily hips for a big back and playing light on his feet. He gets in and out of breaks quickly, has excellent ball security and he's a slippery runner between the tackels but has acceleration limitations. Harris showed tremendous improvement as a pass catcher in 2020 with a big catch radius and an ability to adjust to balls thrown outside his frame. He also shows good aggressiveness in pass pro.

Don't really see anything in his evaluation that's insulting. Apparently what upset Harris was McShay's comment about his pass catching. So Harris has shown great improvement with a better catch radius and that's a problem? Seems like he's upset over nothing.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has said anything to the contrary so I agree 100%.

Now this has the makings of an argument. Whatever the contrary is I'll take that side just for the hell of it. Just tell me what the topic is and I'm ready to go. Too busy doing stuff at the moment to read any other comments to find out what you're talking about.