• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never get how teams hire a position coach instead someone who was the offensive/defensive coordinator

Have you ever had to hire and fire people? Because you sound like someone who's never had to do that. It's not a science,. It's an art. Hiring the wrong person can ruin a team/culture and it can take until long after they're gone to get past the effects.

Also, position coaches who are considered "up and coming" are the hot commodity now because of Sean McVay. Have you seen the Chargers new coach? I swear when I saw him on tv this morning I thought they were doing an interview with a high school kid who had done something newsworthy. Then I realized they were interviewing the Chargers new coach. lol

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of good coordinators do not make good head coaches.

In the NFL, a head coach needs to be an exceptional leader. I do not think that is necessary to be an effective coordinator.

Yep. Once you get to the head coach level in football, you really aren't even doing much coaching anymore. There are too many players. At that level it's about making sure the other coaches are doing their jobs and dealing with the press.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of good coordinators do not make good head coaches.

In the NFL, a head coach needs to be an exceptional leader. I do not think that is necessary to be an effective coordinator.
One of the reasons Stefanski won coach of the year.

He is the coach, and the play caller.

He is 38 years old.

he came into a team with a totally broken culture

a team that was incredibly young

and had basically no offseason because of COVID

and leads his team to a 12 win season and a drive away from the AFC Championship game.

Browns got a good one.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Thomas, there’s no Larry Nance Jr. The Cavs acquired Nance from the Los Angeles Lakers along with Jordan Clarkson midway through the 2017-18 season. It cost Thomas, Channing Frye and a first-round pick. Thomas’ salary number allowed the Lakers to dump Clarkson -- a sticking point for them to give up budding Nance.

Now in his third full season with the Cavs -- and sixth overall -- Nance is a key piece of this nucleus. He’s the do-everything forward in the midst of a career year, averaging 11.1 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.4 steals.

An analytical darling, some of Cleveland’s tracking metrics point to him being one of the team’s most impactful players. Nance, who is under contract through the 2022-23 season, has a developing 3-point shot, hitting 42.9% from beyond the arc this season. He also looks more comfortable as a playmaker, a role he was never granted in Los Angeles. But the other end is where he shines, taking pride in his on-off rating and always peering at plus-minus. Integral to the team’s defensive turnaround, Nance is leading the league in steals and ranks sixth in defensive win shares.

“There isn’t anyone who personifies the type of person we want in this organization more than Larry,” Cavs head coach J.B. Bickerstaff said. “He continues to be the motor that helps this thing keep churning on both ends of the ball.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Thomas, there’s no Larry Nance Jr. The Cavs acquired Nance from the Los Angeles Lakers along with Jordan Clarkson midway through the 2017-18 season. It cost Thomas, Channing Frye and a first-round pick. Thomas’ salary number allowed the Lakers to dump Clarkson -- a sticking point for them to give up budding Nance.

Now in his third full season with the Cavs -- and sixth overall -- Nance is a key piece of this nucleus. He’s the do-everything forward in the midst of a career year, averaging 11.1 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.4 steals.

An analytical darling, some of Cleveland’s tracking metrics point to him being one of the team’s most impactful players. Nance, who is under contract through the 2022-23 season, has a developing 3-point shot, hitting 42.9% from beyond the arc this season. He also looks more comfortable as a playmaker, a role he was never granted in Los Angeles. But the other end is where he shines, taking pride in his on-off rating and always peering at plus-minus. Integral to the team’s defensive turnaround, Nance is leading the league in steals and ranks sixth in defensive win shares.

“There isn’t anyone who personifies the type of person we want in this organization more than Larry,” Cavs head coach J.B. Bickerstaff said. “He continues to be the motor that helps this thing keep churning on both ends of the ball.

Yes.

Cleveland got a future haul for Kyrie and did very well turning assets like IT into young players.

But, at some point you also have to factor in that the team got much worse in the short term, and the Kyrie trade was the beginning of the end of LeBron James in Cleveland.

Had they been able to return a Paul George or another win-now star, you might have gotten another year or 2.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where do you guys think Stafford goes?

My top places:

New England
Pittsburgh
Colts

other possibilities?
Washington
NY Jets
San Fran
Denver

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is called common sense.

The Chiefs OC (who is black) can't buy a job while the Rams former defensive coordinator was in the NFL for maybe 3 years and only 1 year as a coordinator magically got a job. Bieniemy been with the Chiefs for 7 years or so and he could barely even get any interviews.
if ANYONE deserves a shot at a HC position, it's Eric Bienimy. and as a Chiefs fan i'd certainly hate to see him go, but i'd totally understand...

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL owners not even hiding the racism
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I disagree. And I expect if you put a truth serum in Mike Tomlin he would agree with me.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poirier needs a title shot and McGregor should fight Nate Diaz or Poirier again if he doesn't get a title shot.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if ANYONE deserves a shot at a HC position, it's Eric Bienimy. and as a Chiefs fan i'd certainly hate to see him go, but i'd totally understand...
Josh McCown is being discussed as the next Houston coach.....SMH.

Bienemy could just wait for Reid to retire and take over a loaded team.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is crazy.

I get the Dolphins, warm weather, nice defense + a couple play makers offensively.

But the Jets are a long way from being competitive.
He spends a lot of time in NY, they have a lot of draft picks and lot of cap room.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He spends a lot of time in NY, they have a lot of draft picks and lot of cap room.

I read a little more about it.

His choice is all about the new coach.

My guess would be that if he had to put 2 more names on the list they would be Pittsburgh and Washington.

All happen to be QB needy.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a little more about it.

His choice is all about the new coach.

My guess would be that if he had to put 2 more names on the list they would be Pittsburgh and Washington.

All happen to be QB needy.
Yeah, but just pointing out they aren't far off, despite their bad record last season.

They'll invest in the OL and add a WR plus tinker with the defense.....they could be a 8-8 or 9-7 team next season. Could be one of those quick turnarounds in just a year with the right pieces added. And Watson is a franchise QB.