• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is what it is but I’m disappointed in Swift for not speaking out about Toby Keith passing. And if she has by now great. All kinds of stuff out there on how he helped give her her start and how she thought of him as an icon.
He did not play a significant role in her start.

This rumor started when a radio host mistakenly gave him credit and as a 15 year old kid, she didn’t bother correcting him.

But there is one point of order about Toby Keith that probably deserves to be clarified. Though in the aftermath of the death of people, you want to say positive things—and if you enter the realm of embellishment that’s probably more acceptable than in other circumstances—saying that Toby Keith was the impetus behind Taylor Swift’s career, or even a significant player, is misleading at best, if not outright false.

Did Toby Keith play a very minor role in the initial signing of Taylor Swift to her first deal as a performer? Sure. As the money man who was there to help Big Machine Records President Scott Borchetta get the label off the ground, he had some role in that process. But did Toby Keith discover Taylor Swift? No. Did Toby Keith develop, mentor, or shepherd Taylor Swift’s career? No. Was he involved in the creation of her music in any capacity? No.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This rumor started when a radio host mistakenly gave him credit and as a 15 year old kid, she didn’t bother correcting him.

But there is one point of order about Toby Keith that probably deserves to be clarified. Though in the aftermath of the death of people, you want to say positive things—and if you enter the realm of embellishment that’s probably more acceptable than in other circumstances—saying that Toby Keith was the impetus behind Taylor Swift’s career, or even a significant player, is misleading at best, if not outright false.

Did Toby Keith play a very minor role in the initial signing of Taylor Swift to her first deal as a performer? Sure. As the money man who was there to help Big Machine Records President Scott Borchetta get the label off the ground, he had some role in that process. But did Toby Keith discover Taylor Swift? No. Did Toby Keith develop, mentor, or shepherd Taylor Swift’s career? No. Was he involved in the creation of her music in any capacity? No.
This is what happened, you don’t go from saying this on record to not saying RIP about the guy at least.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did not know this. I’ve seen all over the place what Thunder was relaying and a number of people running her down for being ungrateful and not honoring him or remembering him after he passed.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not know this. I’ve seen all over the place what Thunder was relaying and a number of people running her down for being ungrateful and not honoring him or remembering him after he passed.
Not really running her down, just saying it’s not a great look when you have publicly said how much you thought of the guy.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems he moreso helped fund her career rather than directly mentor her. But I do think she found the whole back and forth between him and The Dixie Chicks to be a driving force behind her own politics.

I know the dude was a shitty bar owner. The one he opened in Cincy lasted like 2 seconds.
Exactly…

I don’t know why people keep perpetuating this falsehood .

It was debunked years ago

Yet, Keith fans on twitter refuse to let it die.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really running her down, just saying it’s not a great look when you have publicly said how much you thought of the guy.
Sorry, I might not have been clear. I wasn’t saying that you were running her down. I was making reference to things I’ve read others say in criticism of her that were less than charitable and that’s why I described it as “running her down”. I’m not saying that you’ve done that. My bad.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I might not have been clear. I wasn’t saying that you were running her down. I was making reference to things I’ve read others say in criticism of her that were less than charitable and that’s why I described it as “running her down”. I’m not saying that you’ve done that. My bad.
i knew that, my bad lol

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

she may as well not say anything at this point because her critics will just say its fake.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly…

I don’t know why people keep perpetuating this falsehood .

It was debunked years ago

Yet, Keith fans on twitter refuse to let it die.
Oh I agree on that, but I would think she could say I was sorry to hear about his death and thought a lot of him. It’s not like the guy was a Trump shill. He always refused attempts to get him to say he was a Trump supporter and is on record saying Obama did “just fine”. As for playing at Trumps inauguration he was quoted as saying when the President asked you for something you do it. He was just a patriotic guy and it’s all got misconstrued.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what happened, you don’t go from saying this on record to not saying RIP about the guy at least.

The misconception that Toby Keith helped launch Taylor Swift’s career comes from a now viral clip taken from a Channel 4 WSMV news story shot in 2005 that features a 15-year-old Taylor Swift singing and talking about her career. The pertinent part of the feature starts, “[Taylor Swift came to Nashville last year writing her own songs, singing them, and hoping someone would like them. Toby Keith did, so much so that he just signed her to his new record label. That makes them partners.”

Taylor Swift then says, “You’re in the room with him and you can feel it. There’s a power there. And you’re just like ‘Oh my God.” So I do think I will ever get to a point where I’ll see him and be like, ‘Oh my God that’s Toby Keith.'”
But notice that it’s the reporter that gives Toby Keith the credit, not Taylor Swift. Swift simply says she’s star struck when standing in the same room with the guy.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
she may as well not say anything at this point because her critics will just say its fake.
Let’s be real. Elements that are prone to criticize a person because they don’t mourn or honor in the right way is an element that is out to get you anyway. You're not gonna win in that dynamic. The Hate is coming anyway.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s be real. Elements that are prone to criticize a person because they don’t mourn or honor in the right way is an element that is out to get you anyway. You're not gonna win in that dynamic. The Hate is coming anyway.

Have they also made sure to follow up on the thousands of other people that were directly or indirectly associated with Toby Keith lol

its just ridiculous.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have they also made sure to follow up on the thousands of other people that were directly or indirectly associated with Toby Keith lol

its just ridiculous.
There are literally thousands of people that knew him that have spoken out. I don’t get the whole fascination with Swift, whatever.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are literally thousands of people that knew him that have spoken out. I don’t get the whole fascination with Swift, whatever.

im sure there has been. Yes that's basically my point. People who claim to not be a fan of Taylor are freely spending their free time worrying about what she does or doesn't do.

Who cares?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sure there has been. Yes that's basically my point. People who claim to not be a fan of Taylor are freely spending their free time worrying about what she does or doesn't do.

Who cares?
Conspiracy theorists, and they are horrible. I just thought it odd, I’m guessing pretty much every country artist has said something. She isn’t country but she crosses over a lot of things.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She was 15 when she made those comments.

That was 2 decades ago.

I no longer like many things that I was crazy about as a 15 year old.

The Dixie Chicks nonsense aside….

Her biggest gripe is that the record label that he cofounded sold her masters to a guy she despises after allegedly agreeing that she would get dibs if they ever started selling off catalogs.

She has her reasons.