• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesah, the portal should be like in late Jan/early Feb.....not during Bowl season.

I'm fine with it starting immediately after Jan 1. I get it's a scramble to get into classes then but oh well bro...transferring colleges sucks balls for a lot of kids who don't play football.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's silly they haven't officially declared but I don't specifically blame Harrison for the state of the situation. It's stupid we have the portal before the season is over. School typically starts mid January if I recall for a lot of schools on semesters. Early signing day should be after most of the playoffs are done. If a kid is amped about being at whatever school they committed to they should be able to start the enrollment process without making a fuss about it publicly.

But the portal timing specifically is fucking stupid. Why did we need to discuss Kyle Mccords playing time in November instead of late December? What difference does it make? Oh I know the presumed notion this is about scholastic endeavors and not football. We know full well Kyle Mccord will be able to take whatever classes he damn well pleases at Syracuse.

You'll get no argument from me re: the portal. They definitely need to make some changes to that.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you can't seem to grasp is that it doesn't matter if they go to the NFL or not. What matters is that they are keeping their options open for as long as they can.

And you haven't answered the main question...why are you against players having choices and trying to put themselves in best situation they can?
The point is they think they are putting themselves in better positions but reality they are not. The nfl is going with or without these very few players. A bit of a joke but whatever.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is they think they are putting themselves in better positions but reality they are not. The nfl is going with or without these very few players. A bit of a joke but whatever.

lol

No one has said that it guarantees them a better situation and no one has said the NFL isn't going on if those players choose to stay in school. The fact that you have to try to refute things no one has said, should be your clue that you're on the wrong side of this.

The point is, they give themselves a chance at a better situation. Eventually, college eligibility runs out and they are left with no more choice. It will be go to the NFL or don't play football in the USA for a living. Unless they want to try the XFL or something.

It's definitely something of a gamble as they could reach the end of their eligibility and find themselves in an even worse situation than the one they avoided by staying. That's the deal with choices...sometimes what seemed like a good choice, ends up not being a good choice. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to make it.

And you still haven't answered why you don't think athletes should be allowed to do what they feel they need to do to put themselves in the best situation they can.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

No one has said that it guarantees them a better situation and no one has said the NFL isn't going on if those players choose to stay in school. The fact that you have to try to refute things no one has said, should be your clue that you're on the wrong side of this.

The point is, they give themselves a chance at a better situation. Eventually, college eligibility runs out and they are left with no more choice. It will be go to the NFL or don't play football in the USA for a living. Unless they want to try the XFL or something.

It's definitely something of a gamble as they could reach the end of their eligibility and find themselves in an even worse situation than the one they avoided by staying. That's the deal with choices...sometimes what seemed like a good choice, ends up not being a good choice. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to make it.

And you still haven't answered why you don't think athletes should be allowed to do what they feel they need to do to put themselves in the best situation they can.
The athletes can and should do what they want, I’m making light of the overall situation. The nfl flat out doesn’t care, it’s the schools that look ridiculous to me. I suspect they are just turning a blind eye because they know there is no way they are coming back.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The athletes can and should do what they want, I’m making light of the overall situation. The nfl flat out doesn’t care, it’s the schools that look ridiculous to me. I suspect they are just turning a blind eye because they know there is no way they are coming back.

lol

The schools look ridiculous is the dumbest part of your take. How do you think top recruits will respond to a school that tells kids that if they opt out of a meaningless bowl game, but don't enter the portal or declare for the draft, they can't come back?

That would be incredibly shortsighted and stupid on the schools part.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Browns fans, they are playing much better with Flacco than they ever did with Watson right?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Cuse/Pitt and the Panthers have a 24 year old player. This extended eligibility stuff is ridiculous.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Browns fans, they are playing much better with Flacco than they ever did with Watson right?

Not sure. Don't get to see many games here in mile higher country. @dtgold88 could answer that better than me.

I'm not saying JF is better than DW. But Flacco has a much better playoff resume.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. Don't get to see many games here in mile higher country. @dtgold88 could answer that better than me.

I'm not saying JF is better than DW. But Flacco has a much better playoff resume.
Flacco has been good, but the big turnovers are still there. He's benefiting from low expectations and lesser comparisons IMO. If anything, it shows that even Watson's good games weren't all that impressive.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not really. Each is 4-1 this year and I'd say Watson has the best win (at Bmore...in which he played a perfect half on a high ankle sprain and with a broken shoulder).

But love that Flacco may have rescued this team for THIS season. Hard to believe MN or the Jets didn't want him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love Flacco but don't think he's better. Truth be told I'd love to see what this team looked like on O at full strength. with either QB.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco has been good, but the big turnovers are still there. He's benefiting from low expectations and lesser comparisons IMO. If anything, it shows that even Watson's good games weren't all that impressive.

Totally agree. I'm just happy my team's in the playoffs again after an injury plagued season. Just wish I could have seen more of their games. No NFL Sunday ticket for my, not interested.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. I'm just happy my team's in the playoffs again after an injury plagued season. Just wish I could have seen more of their games. No NFL Sunday ticket for my, not interested.

They usually find a way to get the win. Not sure that holds up in the playoffs, but depends on the matchup.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's about bluffs. It's about choice.

Everyone knows that a big part of a players success is determined by who drafts them and that once they declare for the NFL, there's no turning back.

Shit, the Jets may have effectively ruined Sam Darnolds career and Baker Mayfield looks like he's finally overcoming what the idiot coach the Browns had did to his. I'd bet they'd have liked to have the choices players have now.

Why should a kid who still has eligibility not be able to keep staying in school as a hedge until he sees where he's likely to end up?

And why risk a serious injury in a meaningless bowl game when not playing keeps him healthy for whatever team he ends up playing for...college or pro?
Not sure how Browns' coach ruined Baker as this season is pretty much identical to his 2020 season here.

But agree williams not doing anything wrong.