• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think its perfectly fine to not honor your commitment to play for a team and then come back and play for them again?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think its perfectly fine to not honor your commitment to play for a team and then come back and play for them again?

Why do you think that it's not ok for players to have choices and use whatever leverage they can to put themselves in the best possible position to succeed?

What would Caleb Williams or Marvin Harrison Jr. have gained from playing?

Both are already projected to be among the first 3 picks in the draft, so it wouldn't have helped their draft status. Playing in a meaningless game could only serve to either hurt their draft prospects (especially if they were to get injured) or have no effect. If they get injured, then either the NFL or their college team is getting a damaged product.

Meanwhile, Miller Moss was able to use the opportunity to put himself in the #1 spot for next seasons QB competition.

Interestingly, you are the only person who seems to have an issue with it.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think that it's not ok for players to have choices and use whatever leverage they can to put themselves in the best possible position to succeed?

What would Caleb Williams or Marvin Harrison Jr. have gained from playing?

Both are already projected to be among the first 3 picks in the draft, so it wouldn't have helped their draft status. Playing in a meaningless game could only serve to either hurt their draft prospects (especially if they were to get injured) or have no effect. If they get injured, then either the NFL or their college team is getting a damaged product.

Meanwhile, Miller Moss was able to use the opportunity to put himself in the #1 spot for next seasons QB competition.

Interestingly, you are the only person who seems to have an issue with it.
It’s not real, and it makes the schools look pathetically weak. The nfl is not going to be influenced by it in the least. Neither of them are going back to college, just say so.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not real, and it makes the schools look pathetically weak.

How is it "not real"? And you're the only one who seems to think it makes the schools look "weak". What it looks like is schools allowing players to have some say in what happens with their careers. Imo, it will help with recruiting.

We don't know what they're going to do. If I'm betting real money, I'm betting that they both end up in the NFL. But keeping all of their options open for as long as they can is smart business.

NFL coaches have a history of trying to force players to "fit their system" rather than adapt their system to the players strengths. That can ruin a players career before it gets started.

Caleb Williams, for example, is at his best when he plays like a bigger, stronger, more athletic version of Russell Wilson...why would he want to play for a team that wants him to play like Ben Roethlisberger if he doesn't have to?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it "not real"? And you're the only one who seems to think it makes the schools look "weak". What it looks like is schools allowing players to have some say in what happens with their careers. Imo, it will help with recruiting.

We don't know what they're going to do. If I'm betting real money, I'm betting that they both end up in the NFL. But keeping all of their options open for as long as they can is smart business.

NFL coaches have a history of trying to force players to "fit their system" rather than adapt their system to the players strengths. That can ruin a players career before it gets started.

Caleb Williams, for example, is at his best when he plays like a bigger, stronger, more athletic version of Russell Wilson...why would he want to play for a team that wants him to play like Ben Roethlisberger if he doesn't have to?
We will see if they go back to college. I say no and the nfl knows that which makes it a joke.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see if they go back to college. I say no and the nfl knows that which makes it a joke.
Sounds like they’re not playing in the bowl regardless. You’re upset that they sat and didn’t formally announce draft intentions yet? That’s pretty weird to be up in arms about. Are you saying that OSU and USC wouldn’t welcome Harrison or Williams back next year? They’d love that but know that’s likely not the case.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they’re not playing in the bowl regardless. You’re upset that they sat and didn’t formally announce draft intentions yet? That’s pretty weird to be up in arms about. Are you saying that OSU and USC wouldn’t welcome Harrison or Williams back next year? They’d love that but know that’s likely not the case.
That’s the whole issue, universities cucking themselves out when they have provided the forum for athletes to show what they can do. It’s not for everyone, it will sort itself out though.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the whole issue, universities cucking themselves out when they have provided the forum for athletes to show what they can do. It’s not for everyone, it will sort itself out though.
There are 128 D 1 programs. If that outlet wasn’t there, they would be doing it for another team.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m saying college athletes aren’t as abused as some want to make them out to be.
Got it. You’re all over the place. That has nothing to do with the conversation. Who was saying they’re “abused”?

Universities exist for the development of young people. Development is sought to prepare for life and employment. All of that is centered on the student, not the institution. A student has every right to protect their own interests.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's silly they haven't officially declared but I don't specifically blame Harrison for the state of the situation. It's stupid we have the portal before the season is over. School typically starts mid January if I recall for a lot of schools on semesters. Early signing day should be after most of the playoffs are done. If a kid is amped about being at whatever school they committed to they should be able to start the enrollment process without making a fuss about it publicly.

But the portal timing specifically is fucking stupid. Why did we need to discuss Kyle Mccords playing time in November instead of late December? What difference does it make? Oh I know the presumed notion this is about scholastic endeavors and not football. We know full well Kyle Mccord will be able to take whatever classes he damn well pleases at Syracuse.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,917.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. You’re all over the place. That has nothing to do with the conversation. Who was saying they’re “abused”?

Universities exist for the development of young people. Development is sought to prepare for life and employment. All of that is centered on the student, not the institution. A student has every right to protect their own interests.
The people saying the coaches this and the coaches that are the ones saying the athletes have it so bad. It will be interesting to see how this goes down. People reading like all the big schools are very profitable and harsher not the case. It will sort itself out.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 27,250.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's silly they haven't officially declared but I don't specifically blame Harrison for the state of the situation. It's stupid we have the portal before the season is over. School typically starts mid January if I recall for a lot of schools on semesters. Early signing day should be after most of the playoffs are done. If a kid is amped about being at whatever school they committed to they should be able to start the enrollment process without making a fuss about it publicly.

But the portal timing specifically is fucking stupid. Why did we need to discuss Kyle Mccords playing time in November instead of late December? What difference does it make? Oh I know the presumed notion this is about scholastic endeavors and not football. We know full well Kyle Mccord will be able to take whatever classes he damn well pleases at Syracuse.
Yesah, the portal should be like in late Jan/early Feb.....not during Bowl season.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 27,250.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excited Lets Go GIF

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What you can't seem to grasp is that it doesn't matter if they go to the NFL or not. What matters is that they are keeping their options open for as long as they can.

And you haven't answered the main question...why are you against players having choices and trying to put themselves in best situation they can?