• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I am telling the truth.

LeBron made it clear he wasn’t going to commit long term because he didn’t trust Gilbert. He kept up his end.

Once Gilbert refused to acquire PG and Bledsoe and instead opted for future assets, LBJ was gone.

Simple as that for people living in reality.

The fact that LeBron has been willing to sign long term deals in both of the other cities he played should tell you everything you need to know.
Did Gilbert refuse to acquire them or did Indiana back out? A lot of rumors, he said, she said but from what I remember correctly Indiana backed out, not sure how that is the Cavs FO fault. I don’t blame Lebron for leaving and never have but I dont get the notion Gilbert refused to make the trade.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Gilbert and George were about to have a conversation, the trade was set in place and Pritchard backed out. Gilbert is a dick but he is willing to make moves and spend money he has proved that over and over and over again.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Gilbert and George were about to have a conversation, the trade was set in place and Pritchard backed out. Gilbert is a dick but he is willing to make moves and spend money he has proved that over and over and over again.

Wish he'd buy the Tigers

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson reportedly likes NY because he spends a lot of time there and loves the Saleh hire.

All I can say there is be careful what you wish for, lol. Even when that team has drafted well of late, they have given away some of those players (notably defensive linemen).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Quicken went public Dan Gilbert became the 2nd richest owner in the NBA after Ballmer.

The dude will spend- that is for sure. His wealth dwarfs all but the very richest of owners in the NBA at this point.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,209.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say there is be careful what you wish for, lol. Even when that team has drafted well of late, they have given away some of those players (notably defensive linemen).
Lot of draft picks, lot of cap space and a coach he respects and many think will be a good one.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I am telling the truth.

LeBron made it clear he wasn’t going to commit long term because he didn’t trust Gilbert. He kept up his end.

Once Gilbert refused to acquire PG and Bledsoe and instead opted for future assets, LBJ was gone.

Simple as that for people living in reality.

The fact that LeBron has been willing to sign long term deals in both of the other cities he played should tell you everything you need to know.
again- this makes no sense. LeBron already committed long term when he came back--- and during that period Gilbert spent at a level never before seen in the history of the league.

What you are saying just has no basis in any kind of reality.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need a running back and they need a defensive line that can stop the run.

I think the Browns could have beaten them up pretty good with the running game.

the Bills are very very good no doubt, but its hard to win 3-4 playoff games in a row when you dont run the ball well and are mediocre stopping the run.

Bills have been decently stout against the running game of late (they slowed the Ravens pretty well), but they just can't pressure the QB consistently enough IMO. Playing the nickel consistently doesn't help the run defense any; they need a run stuffing LB. That was part of the problem with Kelce; they were using Milano to stuff the run and/or help contain Mahomes when he was their best option to run with Kelce. Once rookie Zack Moss went out for the season, that pushed the time share to exclusively Singletary, and they didn't seem to trust him with a full workload (and activated Yeldon this weekend to help).

The Bills can run, they just choose not to. That seems to be the curse of an overconfident OC (like the Rams when they had Martz). Josh had been getting so much time to throw this year that he could pick apart defenses easily. That didn't hold up this weekend as Spags had him rushing his reads AND covering the WRs. Didn't help that most of the WRs were banged up; Brown hasn't shown his speed since coming back from injury, Beasley was playing on a broken leg, and Gabe Davis was a last minute activation for game day (over Kenny Stills).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of draft picks, lot of cap space and a coach he respects and many think will be a good one.

Same front office though, and same questionable locker room and overall team talent level. How much power are they giving Saleh?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tribe resigns Cesar Hernandez. Thats a good deal.

Indians def. have a shoe-string budget, but they always manage to somehow put something together. the farm system's depth right now is just crazy--- even though they dont have many true top-top level prospects- Nolan Jones being really the only one (unless you also include McKenzie).

but the depth is just crazy- esp. at SS in the minors where they have Arias from the Clevinger deal, Gimenez from the Lindor deal, Freeman who is right about a top 50 prospect, Rochhio who some people think might be the best out of all of them, and last years 1st round pick Tucker. They have at least 5 very promising young SS.

some will probably get dealt, I think Freeman might move to 2nd eventually.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,209.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same front office though, and same questionable locker room and overall team talent level. How much power are they giving Saleh?
I don't know but if they get Watson and a decent draft with a decent FA haul.....I can see them going 8-8 or 9-7 in Watson's first year.

The Jets came on at the end of the season, winning 2 of their last 3 and lost 3 games by a combined 12 points.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they needed to totally remodel that FO. Got a new HC but they will only ro so much. I get they kind of did that in 2019 but this year is the key year. If you don’t trade for Watson you better hit those draft picks on the money and be careful in FA with cap lowering a ton. If they give up all that draft capital for Watson you better have a plan, I would not trust this FO one bit at this point

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know but if they get Watson and a decent draft with a decent FA haul.....I can see them going 8-8 or 9-7 in Watson's first year.

The Jets came on at the end of the season, winning 2 of their last 3 and lost 3 games by a combined 12 points.

They beat two playoff teams that looked past them, when there was no benefit to their future to win those games. Again, questionable front office leadership IMO. If they had that #1 pick, they would have a much easier time trading for Watson if they wanted (or just drafting Lawrence instead).

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They beat two playoff teams that looked past them, when there was no benefit to their future to win those games. Again, questionable front office leadership IMO. If they had that #1 pick, they would have a much easier time trading for Watson if they wanted (or just drafting Lawrence instead).
Yeah if not for those two pointless wins they would have an easy decision...draft Trevor. Now they are having to decide whether to give up a ton of draft capital for a QB. Not a bad place to be in still but like you said, you better have the right FO in place bc if you fuck this up it’s going to set you back another couple years.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Gilbert refuse to acquire them or did Indiana back out? A lot of rumors, he said, she said but from what I remember correctly Indiana backed out, not sure how that is the Cavs FO fault. I don’t blame Lebron for leaving and never have but I dont get the notion Gilbert refused to make the trade.

Well, better explain that to your boy Wiggy then. Because the way he tells, it was a done deal until Lebron refused to sign long term and Gilbert backed out.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were the Jags would you trade the #1 for Deshaun Watson? Heard this one the Clay Travis podcast and he or his source, said yes. I don’t agree, while Trevor does still have risk involved he would be on a rookie contract and you have to try to take advantage of that. I could see some saying yes but from my point of view you aren’t a team ready to win now anyway.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicken or the egg.

LeBron wasn’t going to sign long term because it took away his leverage over Gilbert. As soon as Gilbert stopped making win now moves, LeBron left.

Pretty simple.

Would he have stayed? Maybe. We don’t know.
Lebron wouldn't agree to sign long term to help complete a win now move because it might stop Gilbert from making win now moves?
seriously?

You also said losing Kyrie was beginning of end, right? If he was so heartbroken over losing him, why not call the young man and see if he can help smooth things over (Lebron said couldn't be bothered).

Many also believe (including Griff) that trade talks that included Kyrie BEFORE he made his request were another main reason Kyrie wanted to be dealt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, better explain that to your boy Wiggy then. Because the way he tells, it was a done deal until Lebron refused to sign long term and Gilbert backed out.
Pretty sure Shane is thinking of a different deal in which Indiana backed out that had Love going to Indiana. Not a deal in which Kyrie was included.

It's also not just how wiggy tells it, but Griffin has said as much. Deal would not be made (for PG) without commitment from Lebron and I don't blame them.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were the Jags would you trade the #1 for Deshaun Watson? Heard this one the Clay Travis podcast and he or his source, said yes. I don’t agree, while Trevor does still have risk involved he would be on a rookie contract and you have to try to take advantage of that. I could see some saying yes but from my point of view you aren’t a team ready to win now anyway.
I think it's simple. IF you think TL will live up to the hype then, no, you do not make that deal for reason you gave. In addition, to taking on watson's salary you are also giving up probably more high picks which will make it harder to build quickly while you have Watson.