• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this....2 coaches in the League are black. That is a problem. In a League where about 75% of the players are black.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. When I would have to hire someone, I usually had my assistant and/or another key employee sit in and even ask a couple of questions if they wanted to.

My reasoning was that they were the ones who would be spending the most time working with that person. They also brought a different perspective and would sometimes ask questions that didn't occur to me. It was also an opportunity to see who might be promotable.

I always had final say, but input from my team was always helpful and even led me to hire someone I wasn't really considering a couple of times.
I too have done a lot of hiring over the years. There is no way in the world I would ever have someone in the room when I am about to hire their boss. Now once I pair it down I have gone to some key people and told them my thoughts, but they do not get to decide who their boss is, that is not fair to them for one thing, I have to do my job too.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with this. He can wait for Reid to retire and take over a great situation there.
I would really like to put a truth serum in Mike tomlin about all this. It’s not fair to all the black coaches out there who do a great job in my opinion to have that stigma over them.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this....2 coaches in the League are black. That is a problem. In a League where about 75% of the players are black.

It's not only a problem. It's a complete disgrace the NFL only has two black coaches. The league should be ashamed.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bienemy was a class act in his interview yesterday.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow what an asshole move by Shaq. What he said to Donovan Mitchell after scoring 36 last night & becoming the faster player to 600 made 3's.

"I said tonight that you are one of my favorite players, but you don't have what it takes to get to the next level"

"I said that on purpose because I wanted you to hear it. What do you have to say about that?"

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow what an asshole move by Shaq. What he said to Donovan Mitchell after scoring 36 last night & becoming the faster player to 600 made 3's.

"I said tonight that you are one of my favorite players, but you don't have what it takes to get to the next level"

"I said that on purpose because I wanted you to hear it. What do you have to say about that?"
Yeah...classless move.

Turning into an asshole.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, best player?

Probably the Babe...much better avg and not far off in HR's.

It's so tough to say who's the greatest is in baseball. But there's no question Hammerin' Hank is on the very short list of players that can be called that.

But I gotta give the edge to Babe. Not only was he one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in MLB history he held a W.S. pitching record for decades.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...classless move.

Turning into an asshole.

I was shocked when I ran across the article. Just another reason I've called him the Shaq-ass for years now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too have done a lot of hiring over the years. There is no way in the world I would ever have someone in the room when I am about to hire their boss. Now once I pair it down I have gone to some key people and told them my thoughts, but they do not get to decide who their boss is, that is not fair to them for one thing, I have to do my job too.

lol

If what you got from that was letting employees decide who their boss is, I really don't know what to tell you.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not only a problem. It's a complete disgrace the NFL only has two black coaches. The league should be ashamed.

Why?

Folks like to assume that it's racial. I'm not sure that's true. There is a lot more to deciding who the head coach will be than someone's skin color.

How many black coaches are there? Of those, how many are ready to be head coaches? Of those, how many want to be head coaches?

Then, each team has it's own specific traits, style of play, roster, etc. How many fit what a team is looking for? It would be foolish to hire a coach who isn't ready or doesn't fit just so they can say they hired a black head coach.

Additionally, in the NFL, there tend to be hiring "trends" based on success of a coach or system. Right now, the trend is to get a coach from Sean McVay's "coaching tree" and that's where a few of these hires came from.

Claiming race without proof that race is really the issue is lazy, imo and can actually hurt future black candidates if teams start hiring black coaches who aren't ready or who don't fit.

Additionally, from what I see, it looks like, at least with ex-players...more black former players are choosing to go into broadcasting than coaching.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

If what you got from that was letting employees decide who their boss is, I really don't know what to tell you.
Sorry if I misunderstood but that is how I look at a QB picking a coach, that would be picking his boss.