• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Warriors vs Cavaliers

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While you are stating facts -- how many games has Korver played in the NBA finals? And what is his shooting percentage on 3 pointers in those NBA finals with the clock running out in a must win game in the NBA finals?

I couldn't care less what a guy has done in the regular season. The playoffs and ESPECIALLY the NBA finals are an entirely different beast.
Korver is no ray allen

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall the best player should not have 0 points in the last 3 1/2 min of a big game he stopped attacking. He does that a lot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is he always passes the ball at those moments

That isn't true.

He passes when it isn't the right play to pass. Nobody is going to let LeBron get all the way to the rim uncontested in that situation, so they send help and he finds the open guy. When he beats the defense, he shoots.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that this is many basketball people have thought for years and years because this is how Jordan and Kobe played. THe best player takes the last shot.

Thing is, the entire principle is wrong. LeBron created a great shot for a teammate. I am sure Kobe and Jordan would have shot there. I am also sure the expected value of that shot in the lane is less than half of the expected value for Korver's 3.

Korver is a professional shooter. It isn't like he passed to Shumpert. If Korver cannot be trusted to make a shot in that situation, then he shouldn't be on the court. The reason why LeBron has a good shooting percentage on these clutch plays is because he is a willing passer. He won't just jack any old shot if a teammate has a better one.

He's paid to take those shots. He has the experience in those situations. He has dealt with the pressure.

I couldn't care less if Korver shot 75% from 3 point land in the regular season. If I'm not mistaken, this is his first time ever in the NBA finals and if I'm right, it is the first time he has ever been on the floor in final minute of a must win game.

The whole professional shooter argument holds no water, because nothing can prepare you for something you've never experienced.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair.

But, the pass was the right play...imo

However, you do have a point.

I would go a step further -- if you gave the GSW a choice -- they'd give Korver that shot 100 times out of 100 over Lebron taking the shot.

So I agree, technically, it was the right play, but it was also exactly what GSW wants to see happen every single time.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Korver is no ray allen

You are correct.

Career 3 point %:

Allen: 40.0%
Korver: 43.1%

Allen's highest single season 3 point percentage was 45.3%. Korver's is 53.6%. Korver has 5 seasons better than Allen's best, including this one.

In other words, one could make a pretty strong case for Korver being better. At least when it comes to catching and shooting.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that this is many basketball people have thought for years and years because this is how Jordan and Kobe played. THe best player takes the last shot.

Thing is, the entire principle is wrong. LeBron created a great shot for a teammate. I am sure Kobe and Jordan would have shot there. I am also sure the expected value of that shot in the lane is less than half of the expected value for Korver's 3.

Korver is a professional shooter. It isn't like he passed to Shumpert. If Korver cannot be trusted to make a shot in that situation, then he shouldn't be on the court. The reason why LeBron has a good shooting percentage on these clutch plays is because he is a willing passer. He won't just jack any old shot if a teammate has a better one.

A perfect example of this is the Indiana series.

After game 1, Paul George said this:

Paul George put the Pacers' last possession of Game 1 against the Cavaliers in the most basic terms: "In situations like that, I've got to get the last shot."

When he got the opportunity a few games later, this was the end result:

failpacers.0.gif

Oh, by the way...the STAR PLAYER of that team...

George is 2-of-32 on game-tying or go-ahead shots with 15 seconds or fewer remaining.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go a step further -- if you gave the GSW a choice -- they'd give Korver that shot 100 times out of 100 over Lebron taking the shot.

So I agree, technically, it was the right play, but it was also exactly what GSW wants to see happen every single time.

So, you think the Warriors would prefer to give up an open corner 3 to an elite shooter than have LeBron take a tough shot in the lane guarded by Draymond? Have you ever watched them play? Their entire offense is built on making that pass for the kick out 3.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:

Kyle Korver is shooting 59% on wide open corner 3s this year.
He is a top 5 3 point shooter of all time.
Draymond Green is a two time runner up for DPOY, and overwhelming favorite to win it this season.

Game Options:

1) take a well-covered shot for 2 points against Draymond.
2) Pass the ball to arguably one of the greatest 3 point shooters of all time completely unguarded.

All these Warriors fans who brag nonstop about Draymond Green's defense are suddenly acting like Lebron was all but guaranteed to score versus Green.
What play are you talking about? In that final 12 seconds LBJ was being guarded by Iggy.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected a competitive series
A perfect example of this is the Indiana series.

After game 1, Paul George said this:

Paul George put the Pacers' last possession of Game 1 against the Cavaliers in the most basic terms: "In situations like that, I've got to get the last shot."

When he got the opportunity a few games later, this was the end result:

failpacers.0.gif

Oh, by the way...the STAR PLAYER of that team...

George is 2-of-32 on game-tying or go-ahead shots with 15 seconds or fewer remaining.
I've always said that he is one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct.

Career 3 point %:

Allen's highest single season 3 point percentage was 45.3%. Korver's is 53.6%. Korver has 5 seasons better than Allen's best, including this one.

In other words, one could make a pretty strong case for Korver being better. At least when it comes to catching and shooting.
U can take korver i will take ray allen every day of the week.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope its so true. Thats who he is. Everyone knows that. He doesnt like to big shots. He would rather his teammates take the shot and get the assist

You do realize I watched Lebron nonstop for 82 games plus another 2 months in the playoffs for 4 straight years right? You're making ridiculous claims that anyone who actually watches Lebron frequently know is true

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct.

Career 3 point %:

Having said that Allen has two things Korver does not:

A game winning clutch shot in the Finals with a title to dress it up.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize I watched Lebron nonstop for 82 games plus another 2 months in the playoffs for 4 straight years right? You're making ridiculous claims that anyone who actually watches Lebron frequently know is true
You watched him nonstop for 82 games? I think you need to get a life.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While you are stating facts -- how many games has Korver played in the NBA finals? And what is his shooting percentage on 3 pointers in those NBA finals with the clock running out in a must win game in the NBA finals?

I couldn't care less what a guy has done in the regular season. The playoffs and ESPECIALLY the NBA finals are an entirely different beast.
Same could have been said for Kyrie game 7 last year.

Worked out okay for him.