• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Warriors vs Cavaliers

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A perfect example of this is the Indiana series.

After game 1, Paul George said this:

Paul George put the Pacers' last possession of Game 1 against the Cavaliers in the most basic terms: "In situations like that, I've got to get the last shot."

When he got the opportunity a few games later, this was the end result:

failpacers.0.gif

Oh, by the way...the STAR PLAYER of that team...

George is 2-of-32 on game-tying or go-ahead shots with 15 seconds or fewer remaining.
Ummm, yea, no. LOL

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go a step further -- if you gave the GSW a choice -- they'd give Korver that shot 100 times out of 100 over Lebron taking the shot.

So I agree, technically, it was the right play, but it was also exactly what GSW wants to see happen every single time.

Nope, as a Ws fan I was very nervous seeing the ball go to Korver open in the corner, I thought game over.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall the best player should not have 0 points in the last 3 1/2 min of a big game he stopped attacking. He does that a lot.

Warriors 89-89 Cavaliers, 3:40 4th quarter

The Warriors didn't score another point.

Three top 30 guys shouldn't have zero points in the last 3 1/2 min of THE BIGGEST GAME.

See how misleading that fact can be?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U can take korver i will take ray allen every day of the week.

Allen is by far the better player. But if we are only talking about who the better shooter is? Not so sure.

Just because Korver has never been in the situation you guys are basically assuming he can't handle it. He has made his living off of that shot.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you think the Warriors would prefer to give up an open corner 3 to an elite shooter than have LeBron take a tough shot in the lane guarded by Draymond? Have you ever watched them play? Their entire offense is built on making that pass for the kick out 3.

Without a doubt. You continue to talk about this as just another game. The elite shooter is shooting 25% from 3 in the finals thus far.

Nothing can prepare for the pressure of the biggest stage in a sport. Multiply the pressure by 10 when it is the end of a game and multiply it again when it is a must win game.

GSW would let Korver take that shot every single time.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's paid to take those shots. He has the experience in those situations. He has dealt with the pressure.

I couldn't care less if Korver shot 75% from 3 point land in the regular season. If I'm not mistaken, this is his first time ever in the NBA finals and if I'm right, it is the first time he has ever been on the floor in final minute of a must win game.

The whole professional shooter argument holds no water, because nothing can prepare you for something you've never experienced.

I agree with a lot of what you say here.

However, as the teams best player, he is also paid to make the correct play. In most situations, the correct play is the best player taking the shot. Sometimes even when he is double teamed.

But, there are times when the correct play is to pass the ball. Neither MJ nor Kobe took every big shot. There were times when they made the pass. Jordan passed to Paxson and Kerr. Kobe passed to Horry and Mette World Peace.

The difference between what they did and what Lebron did? The guys they passed to hit the shot. But the fact that Korver didn't, doesn't make it the wrong play.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of what you say here.

However, as the teams best player, he is also paid to make the correct play. In most situations, the correct play is the best player taking the shot. Sometimes even when he is double teamed.

But, there are times when the correct play is to pass the ball. Neither MJ nor Kobe took every big shot. There were times when they made the pass. Jordan passed to Paxson and Kerr. Kobe passed to Horry and Mette World Peace.

The difference between what they did and what Lebron did? The guys they passed to hit the shot. But the fact that Korver didn't, doesn't make it the wrong play.

I agree and have admitted, if it were earlier in the game or even earlier in the 4th quarter -- it was the correct play.

With the game on the line -- the best players should be taking the shots, ESPECIALLY when the guy covering Lebron had 5 fouls.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Korver is a great 3 point shooter. What he isn't? A player who has played in the NBA finals in a must win game with time winding down. I can't vouche for the others you mentioned earlier and don't feel like looking it up, but guys like Paxson, Kerr, Horry all played in quite a few NBA final series -- They have like a dozen NBA championships between them. Korver has 3 games total played in the NBA finals.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt. You continue to talk about this as just another game. The elite shooter is shooting 25% from 3 in the finals thus far.

Nothing can prepare for the pressure of the biggest stage in a sport. Multiply the pressure by 10 when it is the end of a game and multiply it again when it is a must win game.

GSW would let Korver take that shot every single time.

You are way off here.

Everything the Warriors do, both offensively and defensively revolves around getting those shots for Curry, Klay and KD, and taking away those shots for guys like Korver.

I guarantee Kerr was not happy that they gave up an open corner 3 to Korver on that possession. Warriors are all about analytics. LeBron makes that shot over Dray less than 40% of the time.

Kerr himself never had that opportunity until Jordan passed him the ball and he made the shot. Shooters are paid to make that shot. Especially down the stretch of a close game.

Korver is shooting poorly because the Warriors have not given him many clean looks. That was one of the best he has had all series.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and have admitted, if it were earlier in the game or even earlier in the 4th quarter -- it was the correct play.

With the game on the line -- the best players should be taking the shots, ESPECIALLY when the guy covering Lebron had 5 fouls.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Korver is a great 3 point shooter. What he isn't? A player who has played in the NBA finals in a must win game with time winding down. I can't vouche for the others you mentioned earlier and don't feel like looking it up, but guys like Paxson, Kerr, Horry all played in quite a few NBA final series -- They have like a dozen NBA championships between them. Korver has 3 games total played in the NBA finals.

Also, 1 more thing.

The game scenario in that situation barely even matters on a play like that. It was a bang bang catch and shoot. You don't have time to think at all. The ball hits your hands and you shoot it. Muscle memory takes over for a guy who has taken that shot millions of times.

FTs are difficult mentally because you have time to think. On a catch and shoot, a good shooter will step up and take it with confidence, then think about the scenario later.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insert Vince Carter in LeBron place in that final minute and Cavs win.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insert Vince Carter in LeBron place in that final minute and Cavs win.

Doesn't work like that. If Carter plays that game the Cavs lose by 30. Not to mention the whole year.

Reactions: GNG

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I'm saying. In those situations, where Mj and Kobe passed, the game was on the line. Those were all very late, must make shots...and they passed.

They passed for the same reason Lebron did, they had a guy who was wide open and they knew could hit the shot. It worked for them, not for Lebron.

I can't vouche for the others you mentioned earlier and don't feel like looking it up, but guys like Paxson, Kerr, Horry all played in quite a few NBA final series -- They have like a dozen NBA championships between them. Korver has 3 games total played in the NBA finals.

All of those guys got their rings because they were playing with MJ and Kobe. Paxson and Kerr were on the Bulls at different times, so neither had more than 3 finals appearances and certainly hadn't had many opportunities to hit game deciding shots in their careers.

When Metta hit his, it was his first and only finals appearance.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we stop pretending like Kyle Korver is an unseasoned rookie? The guy has played in 107 NBA playoff games. He's hit many, many big shots in his career. It's so easy to second guess LeBron with the advantage of hindsight . . . it's weak.