• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors vs Golden State Warriors

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use VORP and BPM to compare the greatness of players. Well I don't know what to say lol.

Vucevic was 8th and 9th, it doesn't mean he is a top 10 player.
Nurkic was 14th and 20th. He isn't close to a top 20 player.
Seems like these stat, VORP, is flawed, especially favor big men.

Larry Nance is a top 25 player lolzzz

Yep.

You have to understand any stats flaws before using it as evidence to back you right argument.

Don't think he gets that part.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Give it a rest. Everyone here is well familiar with Monty now. We've pretty much all won bets against him by him picking the opposition every time against the Warriors. He has his own "Bitch about the Warriors" Thread, completed with a yearly edition. Posting number counts just adds clutter around here.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kerr's strengths are actually pretty similar to Phil's.

He is a big picture guy who is really good at getting great players to put their egos aside and put the team first.

It is obviously a lot easier with a selfless star like Steph Curry, but Kerr deserves a ton of credit for the Warrior dynasty. It simply does not happen without him.
weren't they 12-0 in playoffs "without him" in 2017? In his Finals' runs, the year the teams were close in talent (2016), his team lost.

I'm sure he deserves some credit, but have a hard time believing under the same circumstances another coach could not have led them to 3 titles in those 4 seasons.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use VORP and BPM to compare the greatness of players. Well I don't know what to say lol.

Vucevic was 8th and 9th, it doesn't mean he is a top 10 player.
Nurkic was 14th and 20th. He isn't close to a top 20 player.
Seems like these stat, VORP, is flawed, favoring big men.

Larry Nance is a top 25 player lolzzz

I knew it.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured the Warriors would win last night, Game 3 is probably a must win now for both teams.

Reactions: GNG

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,248.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD has to come back soon with Klay and Looney hurt.....if he doesn't......the series could be over soon.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raptors inability in the 4th last night to take the game was shocking. That game was delivered to them on a silver platter.
They just went cold at a bad time... It happens.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey stop maing fun of Cleveland! Because the city doesn't smell that bad anymore & the Cuyahoga River hasn't caught on fire in decades.

But if you ever visit Cleveland (say to go to the Rock & Roll HOF) never drink directly outta Lake Erie. It'll fuck your head up. Just look what it's done to wiggy.

One more gem about Cleveland. Mentioned it before but it's still funny as hell. Former Mayor Ralph Perk turned a dinner invite to the White House (TickyDick was the Prez) because it was his wifes bowling night. And he caught his hair on fire w/ a welding torch during a ribbon cutting ceremony.
I had a great time the last time I was in Cleveland. Flannery's Pub is a great bar.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weren't they 12-0 in playoffs "without him" in 2017? In his Finals' runs, the year the teams were close in talent (2016), his team lost.

I'm sure he deserves some credit, but have a hard time believing under the same circumstances another coach could not have led them to 3 titles in those 4 seasons.

Kerr is below average as an in game coach. He doesn't adjust well and is not the best with his substitution patterns when he has to deviate from his normal rotations.

But, as far as relating to the players and creating culture he is as good as anybody.

Hence the Phil Jackson comparison. Those were Phil's strengths also.

So no, I don't think most coaches would have necessarily been able to build what Kerr has.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerr is below average as an in game coach. He doesn't adjust well and is not the best with his substitution patterns when he has to deviate from his normal rotations.

But, as far as relating to the players and creating culture he is as good as anybody.

Hence the Phil Jackson comparison. Those were Phil's strengths also.

So no, I don't think most coaches would have necessarily been able to build what Kerr has.
But Kerr didn't "build" them. Meyer did. I do get what you are saying and agree with the Phillip comparison. when each has the most talent in the entire league he stands a good chance to win.

Reactions: GNG

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,248.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Kerr didn't "build" them. Meyer did. I do get what you are saying and agree with the Phillip comparison. when each has the most talent in the entire league he stands a good chance to win.

Jackson also deserves credit....I am sure he had a lot of input but he rarely gets any credit.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kerr built the culture that allowed the roster to reach its potential.

An average coach could not have done that.

Without Kerr there is a good chance the dynasty never forms. That they don't get to the Finals in 2015, they don't go 73-9 in 2016 and they never sign KD the following summer.

A better in game coach might have won them the '16 Finals.

But an inferior culture builder (literally every coach out there) might not have been able to get the core group to do what they did and get to the level where the in game coaching even matters.

I mean just about anybody here could have coached the 2017 Warriors to a title if they had the sense to get out of the way. But very few coaches can build what Kerr built.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerr built the culture that allowed the roster to reach its potential.

An average coach could not have done that.

Without Kerr there is a good chance the dynasty never forms. That they don't get to the Finals in 2015, they don't go 73-9 in 2016 and they never sign KD the following summer.

A better in game coach might have won them the '16 Finals.

But an inferior culture builder (literally every coach out there) might not have been able to get the core group to do what they did and get to the level where the in game coaching even matters.

I mean just about anybody here could have coached the 2017 Warriors to of a title if they had the sense to get out of the way. But very few coaches can build what Kerr built.

Imo, being able to manage ego's and build a winning culture is arguably the most important part of an NBA coaches job.

By the time they get to the NBA, these guys already know how to play and for the most part, just need some tweaks and experience.

But what they often don't know how to do are things like playing well with others, sacrificing for the good of the team, sharing the spotlight, etc.

Coaches like Phil and Kerr understand that and focus their attention on that. It doesn't matter how good a coaches system is, or how well he coaches in game...if he can't get the players to buy in and get along, he's not going to be winning much.