• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals. Cleveland vs. Golden State...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a given Father Time always wins. But I think you're hoping for something that probably won't happen next year. I think he still has a couple more years left before he starts slowing down. He's a freak of nature.

Nope, not hoping for anything that you are suggesting. Just making an observation based on a lot of factors which you seem to have not considered.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ was still the best player in the league when he retired in '98 at the age of 35.

Yes, his skills had diminished by the time he came back to play the Wizards at 39 after 3 seasons off, but that isn't what we are talking about here. Not a great comparison if you are trying to use the Father Time argument.

I disgree. Father Time gets everyone. The degree of decrement in skill with age is obviously variable just as humans are highly variable but Father Time still wins. LeBron's skill decrement areobviously not as bad as some others that retired with their skills remaining fairly high. So, to make an argument that we are discussing something different is clearly erroneous and pretty far from the intent of the original post.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DfNupDaUEAA5Ae2.jpg

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still, he's got a point. 1 or 2 years still wouldn't be enough for me, even if it WEREN'T for my strong dislike of the guy...

we already suffered the Kobe tour. who wants to go through THAT again...?
But with the Kobe tour you guys were terrible. Would it be so bad if you are competing for championships?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not hoping for anything that you are suggesting. Just making an observation based on a lot of factors which you seem to have not considered.

What have I not considered? I don't think his skill will erode as fast as you do. Thinking his game will fall apart as early as next year is absurd.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What have I not considered? I don't think his skill will erode as fast as you do. Thinking his game will fall apart as early as next year is absurd.

Ya know, I think I am done trying to explain to you that Father Time eventually gets the best of all players. I suggested that LeBron may be entering into that window of decline sufficient enough to motivate some FOs to re-examine their stiffy for obtaining his services as a strategy for the long-term. I never mentioned, hope for, or believe that LeBron's skills would "fall apart" as of next year. Those are your words and projections. Good grief, are you that dense?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure. When this team plays well they are very good. Its the lack of focus and effort that they display that had me thinking the Rockets would win it plus having HC.
What do you make of this? It really surprised me......
Your link not working, what's the gist?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disgree. Father Time gets everyone. The degree of decrement in skill with age is obviously variable just as humans are highly variable but Father Time still wins. LeBron's skill decrement areobviously not as bad as some others that retired with their skills remaining fairly high. So, to make an argument that we are discussing something different is clearly erroneous and pretty far from the intent of the original post.

LeBron is 33.

You used Kareem (the ageless wonder) and MJ who was the best player in the league at 35 as examples as to why LeBron was not going to be worth getting. LeBron is 33.

I think the LeBron/MJ comparison is very apt in terms of aging. LeBron is still going to be a beast in 3 years as long as he avoids major injury.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, I think I am done trying to explain to you that Father Time eventually gets the best of all players. I suggested that LeBron may be entering into that window of decline sufficient enough to motivate some FOs to re-examine their stiffy for obtaining his services as a strategy for the long-term. I never mentioned, hope for, or believe that LeBron's skills would "fall apart" as of next year. Those are your words and projections. Good grief, are you that dense?

LeBron isn't likely to sign for more than 2-3 years, tops.

There is far more risk of decline signing a guy like George for 5 years than there is signing LeBron for 3.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I used Kareem and others is because, if you remember, those guys began to decline slowly as to be almost imperceptable but there was a point in their careers when they did turn a corner into that window of decline that was noticebale to a great many people involved with the sport.

I was suggesting that LeBron may be entering that window in light of his most recent Finals performance and like what occurred with the aforementioned players, some FO's may want to re-examine what they have in mind in the next couple of months with regard to adjusting their rosters to fit LeBron's servces into their plans. Perhaps it would be better long-term that they pass on the guy for better scenarios. Again, the operative word here is perhaps.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I used Kareem and others is because, if you remember, those guys began to decline slowly as to be almost imperceptable but there was a point in their careers when they did turn a corner into that window of decline that was noticebale to a great many people involved with the sport.

I was suggesting that LeBron may be entering that window in light of his most recent Finals performance and like what occurred with the aforementioned players, some FO's may want to re-examine what they have in mind in the next couple of months with regard to adjusting their rosters to fit LeBron's servces into their plans. Perhaps it would be better long-term that they pass on the guy for better scenarios. Again, the operative word here is perhaps.

He is defintely entering that window. No perhaps.

Still, barring major injury, he will be playing at a very high level (2nd team all NBA or better) in 2021. I would bet on that. He is that good.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still, he's got a point. 1 or 2 years still wouldn't be enough for me, even if it WEREN'T for my strong dislike of the guy...

we already suffered the Kobe tour. who wants to go through THAT again...?

True. However, he's only signing 2 years deals anyway. So the Lakers can let him walk if/when there is a noticeable decline.

Even if he did a 4 year deal, he probably has at least 2 years left at his current level, especially if he has enough help to where he doesn't have to kill himself for the team to win.

Unless he has a major injury, his decline is unlikely to be of the "falling off a cliff" variety, so you'd still have a couple of seasons of him playing at a high level, just not the best in the world anymore.

I'd take that in a heartbeat, especially if it's done without breaking up much, if any, of the young core.