• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA championship: Celtics vs Mavs

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took their convo as a misuse of the word "shooter"... they were using it to mean 'awesome offensive player' more than the strict/correct definition of the word that fans typically mean.

I agree with that.

Just not sure they realize.

Hopefully now they do.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's actually 25 not that it really matters.

No dispute he could be the purest shooter of all time.

But he's a head case. He needs to control his emotions and get a serious about his health. He's already breaking down.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire as the best 6th man ever. His body and defensive reliability may dictate that.

LOL. One series ago, everyone was calling him "the real MVP". He's not breaking down, he's playing hurt and his roster is outclassed by the Celtics. The Celtics lapped the entire league this season and have been the huge favorite all season.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took their convo as a misuse of the word "shooter"... they were using it to mean 'awesome offensive player' more than the strict/correct definition of the word that fans typically mean.

close … but one of them described “shooter’s touch” … the other “purist shooter” as in that’s all he is … then another chimed in comparing Steph Curry …

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that.

Just not sure they realize.

Hopefully now they do.
Luka is such an interesting offensive player... he is not a great shooter and he is not especially sudden... yet he has everything else (great size, skill, savvy, passing ability)... furthermore: he's clutch as hell and has big, hairy balls...

... you just feel like he can make something good happen at any time regardless of defense and pressure.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luka is such an interesting offensive player... he is not a great shooter and he is not especially sudden... yet he has everything else (great size, skill, savvy, passing ability)... furthermore: he's clutch as hell and has big, hairy balls...

... you just feel like he can make something good happen at any time regardless of defense and pressure.

Great player.

He is like the guard version of Jokic in that he isn’t super athletic but he just gets it done. Uses his body extremely well to get to spots and create leverage. Extremely intelligent offensive player.

Clutch shooter. Not a pure shooter at all, but he seems to have a knack for making the big ones.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great palyer

He is like the guard version of Jokic. Uses his body extremely well to get to spots and create leverage. Extremely intelligent offensive player.

Clutch shooter. Not a pure shooter at all, but he seems to have a knack for making the big ones.

Also similar to Jokic that his advanced defensive metrics favor him lol.

We all know he's not a good one on one defender though.

But also within the team aspect not as bad as advertised.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great player.

He is like the guard version of Jokic in that he isn’t super athletic but he just gets it done. Uses his body extremely well to get to spots and create leverage. Extremely intelligent offensive player.

I've also enjoyed (in some sense of that word) the juxtaposition of Tatum and Doncic in this series.

Watch the 2 facing off, here's what I'll say:
  • Doncic has a ruthless efficiency on offense... he's a chess player who breaks down what the defense is doing and usually works towards an easier shot for himself or a teammate.
  • Tatum, by contrast, often makes offense look difficult. A good % of the time, it seems like Tatum is working towards a  harder shot for himself.
Tatum has a clear advantage on the defensive end, however... although it should be noted that Doncic has gotten the better of him when they've ended squared up and Luka has the ball in his hands this series.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also enjoyed (in some sense of that word) the juxtaposition of Tatum and Doncic in this series.

• Doncic has a ruthless efficiency on offense... he's a chess player who breaks down what the defense is doing and usually works towards an easier shot for himself or a teammate.
  • Tatum, by contrast, often makes offense look difficult. A good % of the time, it seems like Tatum is working towards a  harder shot for himself.
Tatum has a clear advantage on the defensive end, however... although it should be noted that Doncic has gotten the better of him when they've ended squared up and Luka has the ball in his hands this series.

A guy like Luka gets the better of anyone 1 on 1 when they have the ball.

Hope he learns from this experience in the defensive end. That is the difference between these 2 teams. Celtics have no weak link to attack.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like night and day

Tatum’s like a truck …

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let’s remember that Tatum has been doubled in this series and Luka has not

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s remember that Tatum has been doubled in this series and Luka has not
Not hard doubles... IMO. There has been some shading Tatum's way.

I don't think there has been a big difference in how Luka and Tatum have been defended, frankly... they both have gotten a little extra attention, but neither team has sold out to stop them.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not hard doubles... IMO. There has been some shading Tatum's way.

I don't think there has been a big difference in how Luka and Tatum have been defended, frankly... they both have gotten a little extra attention, but neither team has sold out to stop them.
Furthermore... as @tlance suggested: it's easier for Tatum to pick on Luka when Tatum is on offense, and it's relatively harder for Luka to go against one of the C's defenders.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's actually 25 not that it really matters.

No dispute he could be the purest shooter of all time.

But he's a head case. He needs to control his emotions and get a serious about his health. He's already breaking down.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire as the best 6th man ever. His body and defensive reliability may dictate that.
Maybe a bit of an overreaction? Does have his team in the Finals out of the tougher Western Conference. They don't sniff the play in without him IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. One series ago, everyone was calling him "the real MVP". He's not breaking down, he's playing hurt and his roster is outclassed by the Celtics. The Celtics lapped the entire league this season and have been the huge favorite all season.
yeah there were some serious overreactions to the guy. He's clearly the main reason his team is in the Finals facing the top team in the first place.