• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA 5 Year Draft Playoff Game 6

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When can I vote again then have it ignored :mad2: LOL

It wasnt ignored I gave Milk the win because I drafted an ineligible player...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need 500 to vote in this one, Ritzy you wanna PM him and let him know?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think there is any comparison on the bolded, McHale was a much better low post player. But I got no arguments KG is my all time favorite so...

Well if you wanna say McHale was better in the post I would have to say I think KG had better range.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you wanna say McHale was better in the post I would have to say I think KG had better range.

And I would agree, he was also a better rebounder and passer.

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh crap so much pressure being the decider. Even with repulsive personalities like D Will and KG I'm going to have to give UK the edge. I just think Pete/Mullin/KG is too much offensively plus I like his bench better. Kenyon would probably send Frye running to the showers lol

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh crap so much pressure being the decider. Even with repulsive personalities like D Will and KG I'm going to have to give UK the edge. I just think Pete/Mullin/KG is too much offensively plus I like his bench better. Kenyon would probably send Frye running to the showers lol
I could be wrong here. But how do you think uks starters are better than nos??? Nos is superior in both guard positions by a significant amount. Dumars is much better than pistol(at least statistically). But again I am only basing this on numbers. I don't really know these players well. Even the ones who I was alive to see.
Both teams are similarly good at PF and center. Uks only starting advantage is at SF.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I paused my Capitals game and looked at every players stats and accomplishments.

UK VS Nos
PG D. Will < Payton
SG Maravich > Dumars (Pete has 8 more PPG, and a little more APG)
SF Mullin = Tomjanovich (Rudy has more 4 more RPG but Mullin has .8 more PPG and 1.5 APG so a tie)
PF Garnett > McHale
C Carroll > Dawkins ( Carroll surprisingly has better numbers 5.7 more PPG, 1.6 more RPG and .2 more BLK)

Bench I feel Nos has a clearly better bench. I rank each of the starters as 1 pt and entire bench 1 pt. If I come to a tie my decider was who has the best starting 5. So I have UK with 3 points ( Maravich, Garnett, and Carroll), then I have Nos with 2 points ( Payton, bench). Even if I gave a point for Tomjanovich then it would have been a tie but UK still would have won with a better starting 5. Very very close matchup guys. Great job drafting by both parties. :suds:

UK wins.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with your assessment but thank you for your vote buddy...

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong here. But how do you think uks starters are better than nos??? Nos is superior in both guard positions by a significant amount. Dumars is much better than pistol(at least statistically). But again I am only basing this on numbers. I don't really know these players well. Even the ones who I was alive to see.
Both teams are similarly good at PF and center. Uks only starting advantage is at SF.

I actually think UK has the better starters while Nos has the better bench. Pistol Pete averaged 21.3 attempts per a game and made 44.1% of those shots for his career. Now Joe Dumars took 12.8 attempts per a game and made 46%. Joe does have a better % but when you take more shoot you know your % will go down. Here is a perfect example for you Kobe Bryant for his career averages 19.6 attempts per a game while making 45.1%. I doubt anyone will ever question Kobe and how good of a shooter he was. Also Pistol Pete played without a 3 point line. I couldn't imagine this stats with it.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with your assessment but thank you for your vote buddy...

I didn't expect for everyone to be happy. Its like my wife and I having sex. One is going to walk away not satisfied. Sorry for your loss Nos however I did vote your team over Milk if that helps any?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think UK has the better starters while Nos has the better bench. Pistol Pete averaged 21.3 attempts per a game and made 44.1% of those shots for his career. Now Joe Dumars took 12.8 attempts per a game and made 46%. Joe does have a better % but when you take more shoot you know your % will go down. Here is a perfect example for you Kobe Bryant for his career averages 19.6 attempts per a game while making 45.1%. I doubt anyone will ever question Kobe and how good of a shooter he was. Also Pistol Pete played without a 3 point line. I couldn't imagine this stats with it.

I strongly disagree. I have been basing my analysis mostly on the advanced statistics from basketball reference. The one I have been looking most at is win share per 48 minutes. I guess it is the WAR of basketball(and I hate WAR). But I can't just compare counting stats and percentages. Dumars is significantly better there with significantly more minutes( thanks to pistols short career). Being better and being better for longer is pretty big advantage in my opinion. Not saying that has been the only stat I have looked at, but that is my starting stat and if i don't see a reason to explore further( which I didn't here) I wont. But i am not the most knowledgable basketball analyst so I could be way off the mark here.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so much in basketball being uncalculable especially in defense I don't think just looking at points is a great factor.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well basketball reference has an algorithm for ranking players and they have Pistol #61 and Dumars #88.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA Elo Player Ratings
About the NBA Elo Player Ratings ▪ Rate Some MatchupsView the Ratings

The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in two-player games. The creator of the system, Arpad Elo, was a professor of physics at Marquette University who wanted an improved chess rating system. Although the system has its roots in chess, today it is used in many other games.

We decided to take Elo's work and apply it to the ranking of basketball players. Our player pool consists of all NBA players who meet at least one of the following career criteria:

• 10,000 points
  • 5,000 rebounds
  • 2,500 assists
  • 1,000 steals plus blocks
All players have an initial rating of 1500 points. These ratings are then updated by randomly selecting pairs of players and having them "play" each other.

We start by computing the win probabilities for each player (let's call them A and B):

P(A wins) = 1 / (1 + 10^((RB - RA) / 400))
P(B wins) = 1 / (1 + 10^((RA - RB) / 400))

where RA = rating for A
RB = rating for B

After the winner has been determined, the ratings of the two players are adjusted. If A wins the match then the new ratings are:

RA_new = RA + K * P(B wins)
RB_new = RB - K * P(B wins)

The "K" above stands for the "K-factor" and has a value of 24. (The K-factor was later changed to 10 --Ed.)

While if B wins the match then the new ratings are:

RA_new = RA - K * P(A wins)
RB_new = RB + K * P(A wins)

For example, suppose Michael Jordan ("MJ") has a rating of 2500 and Wilt Chamberlain ("WC") has a rating of 2450. The win probabilities for each player are:

P(MJ wins) = 1 / (1 + 10^((2450 - 2500) / 400)) = 0.571
P(WC wins) = 1 / (1 + 10^((2500 - 2450) / 400)) = 0.429

If MJ wins then the new ratings are:

MJ_new = 2500 + 24 * 0.429 = 2510
WC_new = 2450 - 24 * 0.429 = 2440

While if WC wins then the new ratings are:

MJ_new = 2500 - 24 * 0.571 = 2486
WC_new = 2450 + 24 * 0.571 = 2464

Here are a few more notes about the way we have chosen to implement the Elo rating system:

• This is a community-based project with the goal of rating the best players in NBA history. In each matchup, the user should choose the player who they believe was the better player. It is up to the user to determine how much weight to give to offense versus defense, peak value versus career value, regular season versus playoffs, etc.
  • Before opening this up to the public we simulated 100,000 matchups in order to give the players more realistic starting ratings. These starting ratings do not necessarily represent the opinions of the owners of this site.
  • Pairs are not chosen completely at random. The first player is randomly selected to begin the process. Following that, a second player with a rating within 250 points of the first player is randomly selected to complete the pair. We did this in order to prevent bizarre choices (e.g.,Manute Bol over Bill Russell) from distorting the ratings.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way in Hell Dumars was MUCH better than Pistol Pete, that's absurd. In fact, Pistol was the superior player, though Dumars was really good

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That really doesn't make sense. The more shots you take doesn't mean the worse your shooting % will be.

I can't imagine Maravich's stats being better with the 3 point line when he only shot 44% from inside it.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way in Hell Dumars was MUCH better than Pistol Pete, that's absurd. In fact, Pistol was the superior player, though Dumars was really good

I believe you could make a point for either player. Maravich was a good scorer who took alot of shots, he played on terrible teams which inflated some of his numbers. Dumars was a much better defender who didn't have to do everything for the Pistons.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well basketball reference has an algorithm for ranking players and they have Pistol #61 and Dumars #88.

The rankings are determined by fans. Magic Johnson is 10th so I wouldn't put much stock in that...