• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: National Championship - #3 Texas Tech vs. #1 Virginia

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man after visiting reddit, it seems there are a lot of UVA haters. Yes they got a ton of breaks and got some lucky shots along the way but champions need that at times. If I'm a UVA fan, I'm still proud of the team no matter what. Fuck all the haters. The karma finally went in their favor for once.

Agree. They're the champs and no one will ever be able to that away from them.

At the same time, I understand what they're saying. This was unquestionably the weakest championship run by a top seed in tourney history. They basically lost two games along the way, needed OT twice, and needed ref help.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a damn good game. Both teams fired their shots. In the end, Virginia made theirs in OT. Texas Tech didn't.

It was a refreshing final. No blue bloods and if there were any one-and-dones playing it wasn't made obvious to the viewer. And it was a game in doubt up to the end which is all a sports fan can hope for.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. They may have been too concerned about fouling on a 3 after the Auburn game. But I agree.

It was probably a bit too early to do the foul-to-prevent-a-3-thing, but I would have been tempted.

I wouldn't have fouled. Too much time. I would have just played straight up meaning everyone stays on their man. None of that 2 or 3 guys leaving their man BS

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the same time, I understand what they're saying. This was unquestionably the weakest championship run by a top seed in tourney history. They basically lost two games along the way, needed OT twice, and needed ref help.

I hate blaming refs. Virginia plays really good D, doesn’t take bad shots, hits their free throws and they hit big shots. Culver didn’t fully show up for Tech. Techs bench was huge and they should have won this game but they didn’t play that good. Defense will always win championships.

Did VA get some big calls late in games? Yes they did

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats UVA fans. You guys have had some great teams the last 6 years, nice to see it translate to a title.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man after visiting reddit, it seems there are a lot of UVA haters. Yes they got a ton of breaks and got some lucky shots along the way but champions need that at times. If I'm a UVA fan, I'm still proud of the team no matter what. Fuck all the haters. The karma finally went in their favor for once.

I think it's because they had a lot of doubters all year. A lot of people didn't think their style of play was conducive to winning a national championship. They didn't think a team with lesser athletes could make a run in the post season and so when Virginia was able to prove them wrong they go to making excuses and trying to justify it by saying it shouldn't have happened.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nonsense. Not only did UVa finish with the top scoring defense, they also beat the #3 and #12 scoring defenses during their championship run. UVa didn't lose any games along the way, Auburn and Purdue failed to close their games out. Oh, they needed to go to OT? Is it not considered a legit win if it goes to OT? That's a new one. UVa didn't need ref help, Auburn shouldn't have committed a stupid foul that forced the ref to call a foul.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats UVA. Can't make fun of them anymore.

Mostly not anyway...

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, nobody would've said that about Duke if they won this year after their games against UCF and VT. The last sentence is ridiculous, why take credit away from them for winning close games? I disagree with ref help, but that last replay was unfortunate for everyone.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to UVA and their fans. Not many get to say they got their sports redemption on the biggest stage. Y'all have a very impressive program in a conference where Duke and UNC reside. Nothing but respect for y'all after this.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If you learn to use it right, the adversity, it will buy you a ticket to a place you couldn't have gone any other way."
Tony Bennett

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's because they had a lot of doubters all year. A lot of people didn't think their style of play was conducive to winning a national championship. They didn't think a team with lesser athletes could make a run in the post season and so when Virginia was able to prove them wrong they go to making excuses and trying to justify it by saying it shouldn't have happened.

Just shows you where college basketball is at these days. That style was pretty prevalent amongst the final 4 teams. Today’s tournament is young, talented, and dumb vs smart scrappers. Not sure we will ever see talented and smart again

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, nobody would've said that about Duke if they won this year after their games against UCF and VT. The last sentence is ridiculous, why take credit away from them for winning close games? I disagree with ref help, but that last replay was unfortunate for everyone.

Everyone would have said Duke got lucky vs UCF, but was still the best/most talented team. Of course people will question the strength of Virginia as a champion, they basically won 3 coin flip games and had one of the easier paths to the championship. They are still champions, even if very few think they are one of the better ones over the last decade

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shows you where college basketball is at these days. That style was pretty prevalent amongst the final 4 teams. Today’s tournament is young, talented, and dumb vs smart scrappers. Not sure we will ever see talented and smart again

Everyone would have said Duke got lucky vs UCF, but was still the best/most talented team. Of course people will question the strength of Virginia as a champion, they basically won 3 coin flip games and had one of the easier paths to the championship. They are still champions, even if very few think they are one of the better ones over the last decade

Virginia is experienced, smart, talented, and skilled. That’s why they were the best team in the tournament. Duke was more athletic, but that does not then a better team.

Duke would’ve been given the benefit of the doubt for winning coin flip games for being athletic, UVA doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt for being so sound fundamentally and so skilled.

FWIW, UVA is talented and smart. They don’t have bad players.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bullshit, the refs called a good game last night. Congrats to Virginia and their fans.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really love how stupid the fans of uptempo games are. When those teams run into teams that play good team D and don't turn the ball over they very often lose. It's then that the morons complain about refs, lucky play and all kinds of shit. It basically prove they don't know shit about basketball and should be watching the NBA.