• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: National Championship - #3 Texas Tech vs. #1 Virginia

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 3 lottery picks and one of them was most talented players to come through college in a decade, outside of that middling talent

Duke had a lot of athletic future NBA players. Virginia had more experience, skill, and teamwork.

Also, saying Virginia was talentless because Duke had more talent doesn’t make sense. Virginia had more NBA prospects than a lot of teams in the tournament and their team consisted of players that were higher caliber recruits than most teams in the tournament. Just because they don’t match duke in those categories doesn’t make them talentless. They’re one of the more talented teams, and they have a ton of great basketball players.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick pass on 98 UK and 2004 UConn. Those teams weren't even #1 seeds. And I realize Okafor missed some time to injury that year. I'm not sure which Nova team you're suggesting? Or UF team? 2018 Nova has a case and 2007 UF but not the other two title teams IMO. I'd take UVA over 2005 UNC slightly. 2009 is more of a debate.

It should be noted I am taking into account the regular season with all of this.

Yes he did. And they still made the BE final without.

Won the BE with him healthy and destroyed the team that beat them without okafor in the final.

Frankly I’ll take them up against almost anyone.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think from the start of the one and done (2008?), most of the champs are pretty even.

And I think it's showed that even if you have multiple future NBA All-Stars, that experience can beat that.

There's a few teams that I think were lucky to win either because of easy years/easy draws that I would exclude (including at least one UConn team, lol), but other than that, I think you can make a case for a lot of the teams being able to beat each other.

Like I think 2018 Nova or 2019 UVA can take down 2012 UK. And not just in one game, 2 out of 3. I mean those guys were all freshmen.

It's impossible to build a dominant team anymore because the second any guy gets good enough to go 1st round, he's gone.

The exception might be that 2009 Carolina team because all three of those guys were good enough to be 1st rounders but came back. Those days are done...

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pssst I'm an Auburn fan and have a sacred obligation to have a chip on my shoulder for no less than 20 years or until we win the natty.

This right is protected under the bill of rights so you need to back off or I'll report you for hate speech.
LOL, okay carry on.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think from the start of the one and done (2008?), most of the champs are pretty even.

And I think it's showed that even if you have multiple future NBA All-Stars, that experience can beat that.

There's a few teams that I think were lucky to win either because of easy years/easy draws that I would exclude (including at least one UConn team, lol), but other than that, I think you can make a case for a lot of the teams being able to beat each other.

Like I think 2018 Nova or 2019 UVA can take down 2012 UK. And not just in one game, 2 out of 3. I mean those guys were all freshmen.

It's impossible to build a dominant team anymore because the second any guy gets good enough to go 1st round, he's gone.

The exception might be that 2009 Carolina team because all three of those guys were good enough to be 1st rounders but came back. Those days are done...

I don’t think so, that was an extremely talented team. Darius Miller was a senior that tended to settle them down.

The truth is college basketball is a shell of its former self. We can argue 2012 UK, but those late 90s and early 2000s teams would absolutely destroy recent champions. Wasn’t uncommon to have multiple NBA players with experience on those teams. It’s a shame to someone that grew up watching the Big East in its heyday. I would love to see changes happen to get the level of play close to those days. College basketball is probably the only sport that the play is dramatically worse than 2 decades prior

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think so, that was an extremely talented team. Darius Miller was a senior that tended to settle them down.

The truth is college basketball is a shell of its former self. We can argue 2012 UK, but those late 90s and early 2000s teams would absolutely destroy recent champions. Wasn’t uncommon to have multiple NBA players with experience on those teams. It’s a shame to someone that grew up watching the Big East in its heyday. I would love to see changes happen to get the level of play close to those days. College basketball is probably the only sport that the play is dramatically worse than 2 decades prior

What’s even crazier is the early to mid 90s

Shaq and laetner stayed through their junior years.

Webber as a sophomore.

One of those guys are on campus more than a year now

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I hate when people say a double dribble should have been called. It’s best to ignore that kind of stuff.

You want some tissues? Maybe some cheese with that whine?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s even crazier is the early to mid 90s

Shaq and laetner stayed through their junior years.

Webber as a sophomore.

One of those guys are on campus more than a year now

Funny thing is Shaq was the #2 freshmen center when he got there, if I remember correctly. I forgot his name, but the other guy left after one yeAr.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want some tissues? Maybe some cheese with that whine?

Ouch!! You are so mean, I don’t want to share the sandbox with you anymore.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the top of my head outside of Nova last year, UNC in 2009 and UF in 2007 almost every champion has needed some fortunate things to happen.
Had to be Nova last year lol. They just blew us the fuck out!

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe you're right, but it's closer than people think.

And yes, I agree, because I watched college ball during the 90s.

Any champ from that era would demolish any team from this era.

If college basketball had stayed with the college football model and guys stayed 2-3 years, yes it would be a better sport.

That said, Villanova doesn't win a title under that model, and neither does UVA. So ... there's that. Lol...

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is Shaq was the #2 freshmen center when he got there, if I remember correctly. I forgot his name, but the other guy left after one yeAr.

Stanley Roberts?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you're right, but it's closer than people think.

And yes, I agree, because I watched college ball during the 90s.

Any champ from that era would demolish any team from this era.

If college basketball had stayed with the college football model and guys stayed 2-3 years, yes it would be a better sport.

That said, Villanova doesn't win a title under that model, and neither does UVA. So ... there's that. Lol...

Rollie thinks you are a shitty Nova fan

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Maybe one and done is a good thing....at least for teams that aren't able to land one and doners have a chance against those that do this way. If that top notch talent stayed three years....game over for many teams.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollie thinks you are a shitty Nova fan

Lol, before my time, but again a different period. That team also needed everything to go right for them to win.

I'm talking about the current UVA/Villanova model. They can compete with and even do better than schools who outrecruit them because those top recruits only stay a year.