• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My top five prospects for the Lions at 23...and more

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm...heading into April, I still think the Lion's biggest needs are RB and CB. I currently have the Lion's running game ranked around 25th in the league, with it being very average for what they want to do on offense and I think a legit CB to play opposite Slay is crucial and may mean more to the team than a DT at this point. At 23, I think the Lions still have a shot at some star quality and they should continue to go BPA early. I have my top 5 list right here, in order. It consists of only guys I think the Lions have a realistic shot at.

1. Todd Gurley: I think at 23, the value would be too good to pass up, even if he's not ready by week one. He's exactly what the team needs because he's the total package.

2. Melvin Gordon: I think he's going to be good wherever he goes, but I consider him a fit in Detroit. Plus, I like the fact that he's already supposed to be a Lions fan.

3. Marcus Peters: He's been classified as a shut-down CB and even with his troubles in school, I think he'd be worth the risk at 23. His cocky attitude and ability would be great opposite Slay. Could make for one of the best duos in the league.

4. Kevin Johnson: He's good and I keep seeing him creep up in the rankings.

5. DeVante Parker/Malcom Brown: If Parker fell to 23 and some of the other guys were off the board, he would be worth the pick. Brown would help shore up the d-line.

Trade down: In the event of a trade down in round one, I like Tevin Coleman, P.J Williams, Arik Armstead, La'el Collins.

In the second round:
I personally think the Lions should be aggresive and try to move up a little in the second considering they will have some comp picks next year. Obviously they should draft a different position of need that they didnt get in the first but I wouldnt disagree with drafting two CBs through the first two rounds. For example; if they drafted Johnson in the first and Peters was available in round two.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of these guys will help the Lions get a winning record this year. Wasting your time.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but Ngata and Walker will. Yesssss

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Gurley in a heartbeat. Otherwise, wait until the 4th/5th round for one.

Brown for sure and probably Kevin Johnson as well.

#1 for me would have to be Ereck Flowers out of Miami. Dude reminds me of Tyron Smith of Dallas. Doesn't seem to be a top ten lock at least on most mock drafts.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With what I am hearing about Waddells injury, I think we would have to take Flowers if he drops to 23.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With what I am hearing about Waddells injury, I think we would have to take Flowers if he drops to 23.

As of now the Oline is thin and agree with you Old lion need to shore up the line. Flowers would be my first pick also Peat out of Stanford wouldn't be a bad choice if he slid down to 23

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another punch to the gut. Now we need a LG and a RT. And we need them to be starting caliber.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm...heading into April, I still think the Lion's biggest needs are RB and CB. I currently have the Lion's running game ranked around 25th in the league, with it being very average for what they want to do on offense and I think a legit CB to play opposite Slay is crucial and may mean more to the team than a DT at this point. At 23, I think the Lions still have a shot at some star quality and they should continue to go BPA early. I have my top 5 list right here, in order. It consists of only guys I think the Lions have a realistic shot at.

1. Todd Gurley: I think at 23, the value would be too good to pass up, even if he's not ready by week one. He's exactly what the team needs because he's the total package.

2. Melvin Gordon: I think he's going to be good wherever he goes, but I consider him a fit in Detroit. Plus, I like the fact that he's already supposed to be a Lions fan.

3. Marcus Peters: He's been classified as a shut-down CB and even with his troubles in school, I think he'd be worth the risk at 23. His cocky attitude and ability would be great opposite Slay. Could make for one of the best duos in the league.

4. Kevin Johnson: He's good and I keep seeing him creep up in the rankings.

5. DeVante Parker/Malcom Brown: If Parker fell to 23 and some of the other guys were off the board, he would be worth the pick. Brown would help shore up the d-line.

Trade down: In the event of a trade down in round one, I like Tevin Coleman, P.J Williams, Arik Armstead, La'el Collins.

In the second round:
I personally think the Lions should be aggresive and try to move up a little in the second considering they will have some comp picks next year. Obviously they should draft a different position of need that they didnt get in the first but I wouldnt disagree with drafting two CBs through the first two rounds. For example; if they drafted Johnson in the first and Peters was available in round two.
Gurley? In the last 2 drafts exactly zero running backs were taken in the 1st and you want a guy coming off an injury...in the 1st? That would really chap my ass if they took Gurley. Now in the 3rd round if he falls, then yeah, take a shot.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be upset if its an OT, but its not my first choice.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gurley? In the last 2 drafts exactly zero running backs were taken in the 1st and you want a guy coming off an injury...in the 1st? That would really chap my ass if they took Gurley. Now in the 3rd round if he falls, then yeah, take a shot.

Gurley has still been projected to go late first round. I like the risk vs reward with him at 23. With the draft, I usually dont worry or get all bent out of shape about who the team picks because I know its a crap-shoot and the guys making the picks know hell of a lot more than I do.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys just haven't been the same since Titus Young left.:heh:.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the O-line, I think the team should ride with they have again and give them another year under the scheme. My only concern is LG at this point.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't see a 40 time from Gurley, we cant afford to waste a pick on him. A 230 pound back that loses his speed becomes a slow podding below average back real quick. See Mike Leshoure. I like Gordon and his 4.5 speed at 218.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peat, Flowers, Gurley, Peters, or trade down are my five choices in no particular order.

And hell no do not reach for a RB. We know how Mayhew loves his skilled position guys but let Xanders make the pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peat, Flowers, Gurley, Peters, or trade down are my five choices in no particular order.

And hell no do not reach for a RB. We know how Mayhew loves his skilled position guys but let Xanders make the pick.

Let Xanders make the pick? Im not sure how you guys know who's actually making the picks these days. I've noticed that if its a pick that the fans hate, it was Mayhew's pick and if it was a good one, it was Xanders. Where can I find the info that tells who made the pick?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't see a 40 time from Gurley, we cant afford to waste a pick on him. A 230 pound back that loses his speed becomes a slow podding below average back real quick. See Mike Leshoure. I like Gordon and his 4.5 speed at 218.

Im just going by if everything with him looks good as far as health and such. The guy is a tremendous talent and Im sure most of the trams will consider him if the value is right. Plus, he doesn't need to be hurried back.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Xanders make the pick? Im not sure how you guys know who's actually making the picks these days. I've noticed that if its a pick that the fans hate, it was Mayhew's pick and if it was a good one, it was Xanders. Where can I find the info that tells who made the pick?

I questioned this in a post other day. The scouting improved immensely when he came on board. IMO Mayhew still makes the final call. The Ebron pick is what forged my opinion. Am I right? Dunno... Just seemed Ebron was not Zanders style of first rounders with his track record.

As for finding your answer. Get with LPnSLC, surely he has a answer.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a front office trying to save their jobs after bombing on re-signing Suh. Do you really think they are going to spend a 1st rd pick on a player whose health status is iffy at best and most likely open the season on PUP (if he plays at all in 2015)?

I see Gurley as a very low probability of being the pick. That probability drops even further when you don't have a good o-line for him to run behind.