• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My New Mock - Bored

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, if we draft a serviceable WR, remember we have 2 pretty good ones already. the new WR would ideally be eased into production.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree - just going to need him to make some contested catches, which seems to be a negative on his report. At 6'1", he's got some size, so he should be able to use that against the smaller DB's.
We lost Green, Ross and Erikson. Tate is still decent but seems to be inconsistent. I would just like to see a set of weapons on the field that is going to force opposing defenses to stack the secondary instead of the box, leaving less blitzers coming after Burrow. Couple that with line upgrades in FA and the draft, Pollack coming back and some healthy players finally, Su'a-Filo and Williams.

Damn it. I am sticking to my guns. I want Chase, deal with the consequences later if all the changes do not work out. Most all of our draft picks will be backups anyways as I think the coaching staff pretty much feels they have their starters already signed on defense and mostly on offense. I can see only one guy being drafted that would maybe start, and that is at guard, whether it be Sewell, Derrisaw, Slater in the first, or Meinerz, Leatherwood, Jenkins in the 2nd. I would take Chase and that offensive line starter in the 2nd over offensive line in the first with a possible WR in the second. Chase is a difference maker, him and Pitts. We know this to be a fact before they are even drafted. We have no idea what we are going to get from any of the offensive line prospects and them transitioning to the NFL. Going to be a crap shoot. Some have good measurables and past performance, but the way we have drafted oline lately, I would rather get a bust in the 2nd than the 1st.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost Green, Ross and Erikson. Tate is still decent but seems to be inconsistent. I would just like to see a set of weapons on the field that is going to force opposing defenses to stack the secondary instead of the box, leaving less blitzers coming after Burrow. Couple that with line upgrades in FA and the draft, Pollack coming back and some healthy players finally, Su'a-Filo and Williams.

Damn it. I am sticking to my guns. I want Chase, deal with the consequences later if all the changes do not work out. Most all of our draft picks will be backups anyways as I think the coaching staff pretty much feels they have their starters already signed on defense and mostly on offense. I can see only one guy being drafted that would maybe start, and that is at guard, whether it be Sewell, Derrisaw, Slater in the first, or Meinerz, Leatherwood, Jenkins in the 2nd. I would take Chase and that offensive line starter in the 2nd over offensive line in the first with a possible WR in the second. Chase is a difference maker, him and Pitts. We know this to be a fact before they are even drafted. We have no idea what we are going to get from any of the offensive line prospects and them transitioning to the NFL. Going to be a crap shoot. Some have good measurables and past performance, but the way we have drafted oline lately, I would rather get a bust in the 2nd than the 1st.
Problem is dealing with the consequences could mean another season without Burrow for a full 16 games and another injury.

You also have no idea where the draft is going to make a run. What happens when guys like Cosmi, Leatherwood, and Jenkins all go late 1st round? The Bengals are not trading back into the 1st round, so let's not go there.

I've been as big a proponent of getting a skill guy as anyone, but the clear move for the long-term is to trade down, get picks, and then select an OL in round 1. With additional picks in round 2/3 - you can not only stock up on some interior guys, but likely find a WR, and some defensive help as well.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't disagree - just going to need him to make some contested catches, which seems to be a negative on his report. At 6'1", he's got some size, so he should be able to use that against the smaller DB's.

The thing is you're not going to get a clean prospect after the early 1st rd. The further down the draft you go the more flaws appear and the more glaring they become so I'd rather go with a deep threat than an equally talented prospect who's strength is route running.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And can we please stop acting like losing Green and Ross is a major blow. Green hasn't been good since 2015ish and hasn't played in a full season in like 3 years. Ross is a never was...

I appreciate everything Green did as a Bengal, but his best days were 3-4+ years ago - and the fact of the matter is, losing him at this point just isn't as big of a deal because Boyd has put up back to back 1,000 yard seasons and Higgins was one of the top rated rookie WR's in the game. Grabbing a WR is going to be a need at some point, but that position is OK if you absolutely had to go into the season with a top 3 of Boyd, Higgins, Tate. As much as we want to believe that the return of Pollack at OL - they still lack actual Talent up front outside of Williams and Reiff.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is you're not going to get a clean prospect after the early 1st rd. The further down the draft you go the more flaws appear and the more glaring they become so I'd rather go with a deep threat than an equally talented prospect who's strength is route running.
I don't disagree - it's a matter of what you look for in a position. For me, speed is a bit overrated if you can't make the tough catches. You don't spend an entire game running "go" routes. The majority of the game is getting in and out of breaks to create separation, and then making those tough catches.

I'm not against drafting him - was just stating the concern I have with one of the negative traits in which I happen to think is important. However, that doesn't discount the fact that this team does need some speed at WR.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And can we please stop acting like losing Green and Ross is a major blow. Green hasn't been good since 2015ish and hasn't played in a full season in like 3 years. Ross is a never was...

I appreciate everything Green did as a Bengal, but his best days were 3-4+ years ago - and the fact of the matter is, losing him at this point just isn't as big of a deal because Boyd has put up back to back 1,000 yard seasons and Higgins was one of the top rated rookie WR's in the game. Grabbing a WR is going to be a need at some point, but that position is OK if you absolutely had to go into the season with a top 3 of Boyd, Higgins, Tate. As much as we want to believe that the return of Pollack at OL - they still lack actual Talent up front outside of Williams and Reiff.
I know Green's talent suffered in the last few years, but he was still someone they had to contend with and his reputation still demanded double coverage at times. They made the rookie beat them one on one before letting Green do it. I am not saying he was a make or break, but he certainly demanded respect from the defense.

Ross..eh, he sucked ass. But he was fast, and that also demands a little attention from the defense. He was no real loss at all, I get that. Erickson, same in the passing game because we didn't use him properly in the passing game to get the most out of his abilities.

What having Chase would do is make Boyd and Higgins t hat much deadlier, because instead of being #1 and #2, they are now #2 and #3, and Chase demanding brackets and double coverage just to try and slow him down. If you don't have that threat, Higgins and Boyd can be "good", but with Chase they can continue to be great. That is what a guy at the top of that position depth chart does.

I also disagree, I don't think the talent drops off that much from the first rounders on the oline to 2nd round if at all. Matter of fact, there is a last first who is probably the best RT in the entire draft in Jenkins, and you have maybe one of the most underrated guards because of the size of his school available in the 2nd round, with our pick, without a doubt.

#1 - WR Chase
#2- OG/C Meinerz
#3 - OT/OG Hudson

Make those 3 picks and call it a day. Only Meinerz has a chance to start anyways.

If we drafted 3 offensive lineman in the 1st 3 rounds, only 1 is probably going to start. I don't think the Bengals are as worried about the oline after the offseason changes as the critics and fans. Plus, the salary cap is still much lower and after the draft, I can see some quality veterans getting cut that could possibly upgrade the oline being available.

Once again, Burrow did get hit alot, but we had so many injuries and Bobby freaking Hart, with Jordan on the oline. Neither one should be on an NFL roster. Spain, Su'a-Filo, Price, Reiff, Williams, Johnson, Hopkins, Adeniji. Not exactly murderers row. But with the new scheme, health, experience, draft and possibly more offensive line signings after the draft...who knows.

I also think we are going to protect Burrow a bit more this year by handing off to Mixon more and getting the play action and ground game going. Spending too much money on Mixon to not use him during Burrow's developmental years. RB is easy to come by, so run Mixon into the ground while we have a chance.

I think we will be just fine, draft Chase.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Green's talent suffered in the last few years, but he was still someone they had to contend with and his reputation still demanded double coverage at times. They made the rookie beat them one on one before letting Green do it. I am not saying he was a make or break, but he certainly demanded respect from the defense.

Ross..eh, he sucked ass. But he was fast, and that also demands a little attention from the defense. He was no real loss at all, I get that. Erickson, same in the passing game because we didn't use him properly in the passing game to get the most out of his abilities.

What having Chase would do is make Boyd and Higgins t hat much deadlier, because instead of being #1 and #2, they are now #2 and #3, and Chase demanding brackets and double coverage just to try and slow him down. If you don't have that threat, Higgins and Boyd can be "good", but with Chase they can continue to be great. That is what a guy at the top of that position depth chart does.

I also disagree, I don't think the talent drops off that much from the first rounders on the oline to 2nd round if at all. Matter of fact, there is a last first who is probably the best RT in the entire draft in Jenkins, and you have maybe one of the most underrated guards because of the size of his school available in the 2nd round, with our pick, without a doubt.

#1 - WR Chase
#2- OG/C Meinerz
#3 - OT/OG Hudson

Make those 3 picks and call it a day. Only Meinerz has a chance to start anyways.

If we drafted 3 offensive lineman in the 1st 3 rounds, only 1 is probably going to start. I don't think the Bengals are as worried about the oline after the offseason changes as the critics and fans. Plus, the salary cap is still much lower and after the draft, I can see some quality veterans getting cut that could possibly upgrade the oline being available.

Once again, Burrow did get hit alot, but we had so many injuries and Bobby freaking Hart, with Jordan on the oline. Neither one should be on an NFL roster. Spain, Su'a-Filo, Price, Reiff, Williams, Johnson, Hopkins, Adeniji. Not exactly murderers row. But with the new scheme, health, experience, draft and possibly more offensive line signings after the draft...who knows.

I also think we are going to protect Burrow a bit more this year by handing off to Mixon more and getting the play action and ground game going. Spending too much money on Mixon to not use him during Burrow's developmental years. RB is easy to come by, so run Mixon into the ground while we have a chance.

I think we will be just fine, draft Chase.
I'm not totally against it - I just think if you could land Darrisaw and Leatherwood/Cosmi - you'd not only have Williams and Reiff at the OT's, but you'd immediately upgrade both OG spots right now, while also having 2 guys that can swing to OT.

Imagine Burrow with ANY WR and having 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. Better yet, imagine Burrow with Mixon getting 4.5yds a pop? 2nd and 4? 2nd and 3, 3rd and shorts...

I won't be against Chase, or Pitts - but there are still so many holes to fill that I think trading back, gathering picks in round 2/3 is the smartest way to go. That way you can load up on 2-3 OL - and hedge your bets a little bit on making sure one of those guys works out. In your scenario - what if Meinez busts? Hudson is a pure OT and isn't really built for OG - and is probably a year away still....yeah, you have Chase - but you also have Burrow running for his life again - and Mixon struggling in the run game.

I think it's folly to just think Pollack is the 100% solution - I think having Spain and the other guy healthy will help - but long-term, and even in the short term, gathering all the OL you can in those first 3 rounds is a really smart decision, IMO, to ensure that at least 1, or 2, of them actually work out.

And you can still draft a guy like Brown with any of those extra 2nd round picks as well...he would be a good speed compliment.

Going to be an exciting draft, that is for sure.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not totally against it - I just think if you could land Darrisaw and Leatherwood/Cosmi - you'd not only have Williams and Reiff at the OT's, but you'd immediately upgrade both OG spots right now, while also having 2 guys that can swing to OT.

Imagine Burrow with ANY WR and having 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. Better yet, imagine Burrow with Mixon getting 4.5yds a pop? 2nd and 4? 2nd and 3, 3rd and shorts...

I won't be against Chase, or Pitts - but there are still so many holes to fill that I think trading back, gathering picks in round 2/3 is the smartest way to go. That way you can load up on 2-3 OL - and hedge your bets a little bit on making sure one of those guys works out. In your scenario - what if Meinez busts? Hudson is a pure OT and isn't really built for OG - and is probably a year away still....yeah, you have Chase - but you also have Burrow running for his life again - and Mixon struggling in the run game.

I think it's folly to just think Pollack is the 100% solution - I think having Spain and the other guy healthy will help - but long-term, and even in the short term, gathering all the OL you can in those first 3 rounds is a really smart decision, IMO, to ensure that at least 1, or 2, of them actually work out.

And you can still draft a guy like Brown with any of those extra 2nd round picks as well...he would be a good speed compliment.

Going to be an exciting draft, that is for sure.
I 100% get what you are saying, and normally I am right there with you, trade and grab extra high picks. But not when it comes to my two favorite players in college football since forever, and we have a chance to nab both in back to back drafts..Burrow and Chase. Too much of a soggy dream come true for my "fandom". I will pray the rest of the issues can get resolved with health, scheme, added bodies. I am also not opposed to trading a 1st round pick next year for a higher priced veteran OL that is in his 20's with a couple years left on his contract to help solidify the line this year. Another team is burdened by cap, want some extra draft capital next year, trade one of there better olineman for a 1st next year. I would not be opposed to that if it was the right player at a contract that is not going to cripple us financially.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Duke Tobin is walking around with his bucket and throwing cold water all over everyone's trade plans. I suppose it could just be a big smokescreen with the intention to drive up the asking price, but I'm afraid we're already locked in at 5. My fear is this..... Fields drops.... Some front office gets a gigantic hard-on for the guy and offers us a megadeal for the spot and because we're locked in we simply turn it down. How many times do we need to hear the story of Mike Ditka offering us his entire draft for our third pick?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one's going to pull a ditka.

we'll just keep the pick and draft the best player available, which could be a OL, TE, or WR
if they reach for an un-predicted
DE I wouldn't be surprised.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Duke Tobin is walking around with his bucket and throwing cold water all over everyone's trade plans. I suppose it could just be a big smokescreen with the intention to drive up the asking price, but I'm afraid we're already locked in at 5. My fear is this..... Fields drops.... Some front office gets a gigantic hard-on for the guy and offers us a megadeal for the spot and because we're locked in we simply turn it down. How many times do we need to hear the story of Mike Ditka offering us his entire draft for our third pick?
If someone offers a trade - depending on the drop down - it has to have a 2nd this year, at the very least - the Bengals should 100% take it. If it's more than 2 spots, then I would be looking for a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

But, It's rarely been the Bengals MO to trade, so I realize that the prospects of that happening are slim - but if they take a step back and realize the depth of this class in several areas - getting several additional day 2 picks would be a massive move all the while still being able to solidify the OL for years.

If you stick at 5, I'm starting to lean team Sewell just because - you have to be assured you get at least 1 OL, and by many accounts, this kid has All-Pro ability. Burrow can make any WR look good enough if he's given time, and add into it a running game where Mixon can chunk up some yards...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens just traded Orlando Brown to KC for picks in this draft. They now pick at 27th and 31st. If your hopes are to get a tackle in the second round, you have to figure you'll be standing in line behind the Ravens. There really could be a mini-run on O-line before the Bengals are back on the clock in the 2nd round.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens just traded Orlando Brown to KC for picks in this draft. They now pick at 27th and 31st. If your hopes are to get a tackle in the second round, you have to figure you'll be standing in line behind the Ravens. There really could be a mini-run on O-line before the Bengals are back on the clock in the 2nd round.
That changes nothing, except maybe helps us. The Chiefs and Ravens both would have taken OT's at the end of the draft. Now I doubt the Ravens take two OT's at the end of the first, so this may have actually helped us save a potential Oline player in the 2nd.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals just don't value OL that much.

we have 2 decent OL right now, and they are probably happy with that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals just don't value OL that much.

we have 2 decent OL right now, and they are probably happy with that.
Completely agree.

I would not trust the draft breaking the way you need it by passing up on Sewell, or a small trade back for Slater/Darrisaw.

As much as I was for Pitts...I've really started to feel that passing up on the OL is completely foolish. Build this team from the inside out. There will be other TE's and other WR's. It's not like the team is barren there. They are, however, Barren at the OL position. I'm not betting on retreads and the return of an OL coach to suddenly take this team from nearly dead last in the NFL to respectable. They need actual talent.

You give a QB like Burrow time in the pocket, and he'll make guys look like Chase/Smith/Pitts....but, you can have those guys all day long, and if he's running for his life, or worse yet injured again - the Bengals get nothing.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what is funny - for years the fans have admonished managment/Brown for falling in love with skill position players and ignoring foundational players/positions, that help the team in those ways you don't see in stats...

And this year, with a chance to make several different moves, and ensure that the most needed position on the team, OL, gets a clear cut guy - fans are doing the exact same thing as Brown. Falling in love with a skill position guy and ignoring the most acute need of the team, where a top draft pick actually fits a pure need.

As good as Chase may be - he's not filling an absolute need on this team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what is funny - for years the fans have admonished managment/Brown for falling in love with skill position players and ignoring foundational players/positions, that help the team in those ways you don't see in stats...

And this year, with a chance to make several different moves, and ensure that the most needed position on the team, OL, gets a clear cut guy - fans are doing the exact same thing as Brown. Falling in love with a skill position guy and ignoring the most acute need of the team, where a top draft pick actually fits a pure need.

As good as Chase may be - he's not filling an absolute need on this team.
Best player available. Kinda hoping Atlanta takes Sewell so we can lose that option stay put at 5 and take a guy that will be the best WR this team will ever see, even better than Green I think. However, once again, if we go that rout, while I will be disappointed as a fan of Chase, i will still be happy for my team to have received a quality player. We are sitting in the sweet spot I think of the draft thanks to the run of QB's this year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best player available. Kinda hoping Atlanta takes Sewell so we can lose that option stay put at 5 and take a guy that will be the best WR this team will ever see, even better than Green I think. However, once again, if we go that rout, while I will be disappointed as a fan of Chase, i will still be happy for my team to have received a quality player. We are sitting in the sweet spot I think of the draft thanks to the run of QB's this year.
Best WR we'll ever see...

Come on man, remove the glasses. You love chase...that's all good, but you're teetering on nonsensical at this point. Green was a 6'4" nearly freak of nature at the draft. I mean, he and Julio were clear cut #1's...And Chase may be good, but I don't hear near the chatter from him than I did either of those guys.

This team absolutely needs OL help in the worst way, and there are many who project Sewell as an AP lineman.

Maybe ATL decides to take Chase to pair up on that offense with Ryan - and removes the temptation from the Bengals to ignore the best player available and one who actually fits a need. After all, Julio isn't getting any younger, and he would pair nicely with the WR they got last year.

As for actual Best Player Available - I think you are splitting hairs with Chase/Sewell - even if you believe that Sewell is a nudge behind, the fact that he fills a giant hole can't be ignored. It's not like they are reaching 9, 10, 11 picks above where he's projected to go in many, many mocks. He's right there in line with the 5th pick.

At this point, Chase is a luxury pick the Bengals really cannot afford, IMO. They risk not landing enough impact OL to help them, and I fear at this point they will reap what they sow. Burrow injured another year - and quickly losing interest in trusting this organization has his best interest at heart in protecting him. Hard to see it any other way after running out that group they did last year knowing they were going to select him #1 overall. Had they done their job last year and beefed up the OL - maybe Joe wouldn't be injured, and maybe the Bengals could actually take a Chase this year instead of needing more OL work....again. As it has been since 2016.