• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My New Mock - Bored

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow the site so not sure how much they put into what they do - but here's an article on the Bengals potentially focusing on Slater

The reasons are for about as much as why I like some of the guys in round 2 for their ability to not only play RT in the future, but start off at Guard right now. Sewell seems to be just a pure OT, nothing wrong with it - but if they feel that Williams is fine at LT, or not a good fit at RT - then you end up drafting a problem with 2 guys who are best suited on the left-side, and then asking one of them to switch, which could lower their value/effectiveness which is why you drafted them in the 1st place.

IF that is the case, I think you absolutely look to move down and grab a round 2 pick. You can get Slater in that 8-12 range.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got bored - ran it again - this time Pitts went 4 - Sewell and Chase were there, but I opted to move back to 12 with the Eagles. I got their 2nd and 3rd round picks in exchange for the #5 and our 4th round pick. This is what was somewhat referring to about dropping back, getting picks, and simply taking Slater - FWIW - Jenkins was also there in round 2 - I went with Leatherwood because of the versatility to play guard - again...

1618435631407.png

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got bored - ran it again - this time Pitts went 4 - Sewell and Chase were there, but I opted to move back to 12 with the Eagles. I got their 2nd and 3rd round picks in exchange for the #5 and our 4th round pick. This is what was somewhat referring to about dropping back, getting picks, and simply taking Slater - FWIW - Jenkins was also there in round 2 - I went with Leatherwood because of the versatility to play guard - again...

View attachment 268793
1618450259932.png

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 268793
This was my ideal scenario...
1618452154513.png

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done similar simulations to yours Cincyfan.... Trade with the Eagles, extra second round asset and a good draft to build a core. At the very least, with Slater and Leatherwood, you might have two solid starters on the line for the next 5 years - And you still have three years of Jonah Williams. This gives you the potential to have an above-average (and maybe very good in a year or so) line to pair with a promising QB.

But, are we just building a one-and-done playoff team again? I'm worried that we might end up with a lot of guys that are better than what we have, but not close to being the best at what they do.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done similar simulations to yours Cincyfan.... Trade with the Eagles, extra second round asset and a good draft to build a core. At the very least, with Slater and Leatherwood, you might have two solid starters on the line for the next 5 years - And you still have three years of Jonah Williams. This gives you the potential to have an above-average (and maybe very good in a year or so) line to pair with a promising QB.

But, are we just building a one-and-done playoff team again? I'm worried that we might end up with a lot of guys that are better than what we have, but not close to being the best at what they do.
I think that line would be good enough that if you had to, you could get a stud OL and complete a nasty OL

Offensively, I think skill guys will flock to Burrow. Finding some guys via F/A shouldn't be an issue once that becomes more of a focus.

Where I feel the team needs more focus is that defense. I know there's money there - but a lot of 1 year deals on defense is probably pointing more to your point of a 1 year deal. Being able to lock of a 1st round OL, grab an extra 2nd and maybe 3rd by trading down to 12 - allows you to grab another OL and LB/DL or you can wait until round 3 for OL, and go defense/defense is both LB and DL are there like in some of the mocks.

I do agree with your concern with the amount of 1 year deals, but I think some of that is also due to the cap situation some teams face - guys are willing to sign 1 year right now knowing it will jump next year and get better deals - even if they stay with the same team. I 100% expect Reiff to re-sign with the Bengals - one of the reasons I am lower on Sewell who is a pure OT and more on the Slater/Leatherwood/Cosmi train - all guys who project to play G or T, and then look for a guy like Hudson later who is a pure OT, but still needs a season, or two. To me, Sewell almost doesn't fit just because if you are only able to play him at OT - what happens to Williams and/or Reiff...can either play G? Do either WANT to play G? May end up with an Orlando Brown situation like in B-more.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is my struggle - with 2 or 3 of those top picks I'd want falling to 5 - it's really hard not to trade down and grab that extra 2nd rounder (and swap a 3rd for 4th if you can).

Yes, that may mean missing out on those 3, but then getting another trade down to grab Slater doesn't suck and adding yet another 2nd round pick...I mean, the amount of depth you can fill with starter quality level players with that approach is just...it's really hard to pass up IMO. If someone is willing to make a deal (or deals) and you pass that up - you better be 100% sold on that pick panning out because whoever it is, will have a ripple effect on the rest of the draft. The more picks you get - the more likely you are to grab multiple starters for years and impact players.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My edition of "Keep trading" LOL - this would never happen, but...I mean, if you're not married to a guy and teams are willing to throw in 2nd and/or 3rd round picks to move up....

1618508745621.png

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1618514357797.png
Pitts and Chase were still there at 9, but I got tired of trading back. I get bored by the third round and just take one of the top listed players.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I wish they'd do - list off to the side your draft picks. I keep forgetting who I take and end up like I did with my last draft with 4 LB's and Multiple Edge guys - not that this defense doesn't need both in spades...protect the QB, rush the QB.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I wish they'd do - list off to the side your draft picks. I keep forgetting who I take and end up like I did with my last draft with 4 LB's and Multiple Edge guys - not that this defense doesn't need both in spades...protect the QB, rush the QB.
I agree.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The keep trading until you find something you like approach just gave you 7 guys that will probably be starters and all have their contracts expire in the same year. LOL.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The keep trading until you find something you like approach just gave you 7 guys that will probably be starters and all have their contracts expire in the same year. LOL.
You have to extend them all at different times, and you also have to figure not all of them will pan out.

Draft them now - win now - worry later. If they are winning then it was worth going through to get to that point to try and re-sign everyone. If they don't - then keeping them around won't really matter much.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My edition of "Keep trading" LOL - this would never happen, but...I mean, if you're not married to a guy and teams are willing to throw in 2nd and/or 3rd round picks to move up....

View attachment 268852
That would indeed be an A right there. That was ridiculous. Glad the simulator is so realistic. haha

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would indeed be an A right there. That was ridiculous. Glad the simulator is so realistic. haha
Yes, that likely would never happen - just because the cap casualty of trying to sign all those guys from the 2nd round alone would be really hard...LOL

But - that was more of a "What if you don't care who you end up with approach" meaning - there are so many holes that need to be filled - what if you don't focus on a player or position, but the value of the draft pick itself. I only stopped trading because my next best offer was from Baltimore, and I don't want to trade in division...LOL

I mean - if you approached it this way and dropped back 2-3 spots (or 4-5) every pick for 3-4 picks and picked an extra 2nd rounder each time, or even an extra 3rd rounder at worst....you end up with enough capital to fill a bunch of holes with quality starters AND picks to move back into any pick you may want/need if you absolutely had to.

Again - never happen - but it does start to change my idea about the draft a bit. Why focus on one guy (unless you have a top pick and need a QB) when you can really just hammer the draft every year by adding 2 extra 2nd rounders and an extra 3rd and just load up on depth. With the draft being such a crap-shoot anyway - it would make sense to roll the dice on more guys, not less - even if those guys are in the 1st round. Grab a late 1st rounder, and then load up on 3-4 guys in the 2nd/3rd round. Not only can you find value and starters, you hedge your bets on guys actually making an impact and not "missing" a draft class.

**PS I did another one where I literally traded every pick down to 29 and ended up with something like 17 picks all in the 1st through 3rd rounds. My last pick was in the 90's and then I was done...HAHAHAHAHA

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 268874
Pitts and Chase were still there at 9, but I got tired of trading back. I get bored by the third round and just take one of the top listed players.

you got pitts at 9, which is crazy that he lasted that long.
and you drafted someone named Palmer, which is totally what the Bengals would do.