• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My New Mock - Bored

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that scare me is that the guys left in the second round after Leatherwood and Cosmi.

The kid from Stanford hasn't played in 2 years. Not sure how I feel about a kid from NDSU - not facing the best competition. I mean, I'm fine if the feel they translate to the OG position but not sure about OT.

If the Bengals felt like they could start either one of those guys at OG this year, then I'm more open to it, I just don't know enough about them to commit to them in round2. You can still land Hudson in round 3, and have your swing OT and future OT if you don't re-sign Reiff (which I would absolutely try to do) but you do take a step back from that core OL group within those first 5-7 guys who will then be gone.

However, this is why if you can trade back 2-3 spots in the 1st and grab that extra 2nd rounder - it may be worth it. You land Chase/Pitts still and still land an OT/OG or other with those 2 picks, and you've done no worse than solidify 3 open spots with potential starters this year. Or, you can try and package a 2nd/3rd to move up back into the 1st round and grab Leatherwood/Cosmi - and then you still have a 2nd round pick. You can then either take BPA or slide back into the 2nd round and look to pick back up that 3rd you lost.

There's also the chance that Sewell continues to fall to the Bengals wherever they land at 7 or 8 - and if not, there's Slater right there as well if you had to go OL over anything else. You then still get a chance with 2 extra 2nd round picks to get another OL and/or BPA for several needs: WR if Moore falls, LB, Edge or even a CB. A lot opens up with having that extra 2nd round pick.
So ideally to me, I guess it would fall like this, but you never know what will entice certain teams.

#1 - JAX Lawrence
#2 - NYJ Wilson
#3 - SF Jones
#4 - ATL Fields
#5 - DET Lance (Bengals get #7 and #41) - They trade up for last heralded QB to snatch him over Denver, Washington or New England trying to trade up.
#6 - MIA Pitts
#7 - CIN Chase

Then in the second round we draft:

#38 T Teven Jenkins or T Alex Leatherwood
#41 OG Quinn Meinerz

#69 DE Dayo Odeyingbo

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ideally to me, I guess it would fall like this, but you never know what will entice certain teams.

#1 - JAX Lawrence
#2 - NYJ Wilson
#3 - SF Jones
#4 - ATL Fields
#5 - DET Lance (Bengals get #7 and #41) - They trade up for last heralded QB to snatch him over Denver, Washington or New England trying to trade up.
#6 - MIA Pitts
#7 - CIN Chase

Then in the second round we draft:

#38 T Teven Jenkins or T Alex Leatherwood
#41 OG Quinn Meinerz

#69 DE Dayo Odeyingbo
ATL is that wild-card. But I still could see a team wanting to move up to #5, I just think that increases if the first 4 do actually go QB 1-4.

If the Bengals are truly banking on the return of their OL coach, Williams is fine at LT, Reiff at RT - and Spain for a full year and a health Su'a - then you can take a chance on Pitts/Chase in round 1.

If the Bengals are OK with their skill positions and don't want to risk losing out on an OL, you take Sewell, or when you trade back you take Slater and then either double up in round 2 if you need to - or depending on who drops there, you can go other places.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've decided that I want Sewell and Leatherwood. Boring, but safe.

We saw flashes of what Burrow could do with a crappy line. Lets solidify it this year, and he can show more of what he can do without getting killed on every play.

Reif is only on a 1 year contact, and is about 30 I think, so we have 2 bodies vying for the future RT. Doubling up is also insurance against Jonah getting hurt again.

You can find a WR later in the draft, or grab someone who gets cut, and re-address it next season. If Burrow stays healthy and has a big year, WR's might actually want to come here and play with him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've decided that I want Sewell and Leatherwood. Boring, but safe.

We saw flashes of what Burrow could do with a crappy line. Lets solidify it this year, and he can show more of what he can do without getting killed on every play.

Reif is only on a 1 year contact, and is about 30 I think, so we have 2 bodies vying for the future RT. Doubling up is also insurance against Jonah getting hurt again.

You can find a WR later in the draft, or grab someone who gets cut, and re-address it next season. If Burrow stays healthy and has a big year, WR's might actually want to come here and play with him.
I'm kind of torn between the 3 - and of course, it's possible that any one of them could still go 4th.

If possible, my preferred approach is to trade back with either Denver or Carolina - and then take whoever's left. If all 3 end up going - then you take Slater - either trade down again, or just select him. I'm not trading the #5 pick, though, without their 2nd round pick. I'll swap 5th's to help sweeten the deal, but that's it. Otherwise, you stay at 5.

After that - I just don't know. If the draft breaks right, the Bengals could go any number of ways at 5 (or 7 or 8) and still end up with a really good player in round 2 that could start. Especially if they land a trade and get two 2nd round picks.

If the draft doesn't break right - you could end up with any of those guys at 5, and end up with almost nothing in round 2 because of a massive run. You get Pitts/Chase for example, and all the top OL go late in round 1 (Tucker, Cosmi, Leatherwood, etc...) leaving no real good options in round 2 at the OT position, but maybe at guard? Again, going to have to know a lot about some of those other guys at those spots.

Or, you pick Sewell, but then a all the other OL drop into round 2 - where you could have gotten them and Chase/Pitts...the run instead was at WR, LB, and Edge - sure, you take another OL - but missed out on potentially adding another game breaker at any of those positions, including TE if you had selected Pitts.

I know the draft is always a crap-shoot because you just don't know what teams are going to do - but if you go into this draft fully believing that this draft is the deepest OL in a long, long time - then I think you bet on that, and take Chase/Pitts and really do your HW on those other guys at the top of round 2 who will be there (Kid from Standford, NDSU, etc...) if they can plug-play immediately - even at guard where it might the easiest add for the current line with Williams and Reiff already all but locked into their positions.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of torn between the 3 - and of course, it's possible that any one of them could still go 4th.

If possible, my preferred approach is to trade back with either Denver or Carolina - and then take whoever's left. If all 3 end up going - then you take Slater - either trade down again, or just select him. I'm not trading the #5 pick, though, without their 2nd round pick. I'll swap 5th's to help sweeten the deal, but that's it. Otherwise, you stay at 5.

After that - I just don't know. If the draft breaks right, the Bengals could go any number of ways at 5 (or 7 or 8) and still end up with a really good player in round 2 that could start. Especially if they land a trade and get two 2nd round picks.

If the draft doesn't break right - you could end up with any of those guys at 5, and end up with almost nothing in round 2 because of a massive run. You get Pitts/Chase for example, and all the top OL go late in round 1 (Tucker, Cosmi, Leatherwood, etc...) leaving no real good options in round 2 at the OT position, but maybe at guard? Again, going to have to know a lot about some of those other guys at those spots.

Or, you pick Sewell, but then a all the other OL drop into round 2 - where you could have gotten them and Chase/Pitts...the run instead was at WR, LB, and Edge - sure, you take another OL - but missed out on potentially adding another game breaker at any of those positions, including TE if you had selected Pitts.

I know the draft is always a crap-shoot because you just don't know what teams are going to do - but if you go into this draft fully believing that this draft is the deepest OL in a long, long time - then I think you bet on that, and take Chase/Pitts and really do your HW on those other guys at the top of round 2 who will be there (Kid from Standford, NDSU, etc...) if they can plug-play immediately - even at guard where it might the easiest add for the current line with Williams and Reiff already all but locked into their positions.
Plus, who is to say we don't have Reiff for 5 years? If he does well, the increase in salary cap and his familiarity with the new line coach, org and being an immediate fan of Burrow (he is only 30)..I can see us giving him a 4 year deal. If you can at the very least add a solid G/C type of guy in round two like Meinerz, then you at least set for this year. You still have free agency next year and another draft next year if a guy or two leave.

I still think it is Chase, but would be happy as hell with Pitts also.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, who is to say we don't have Reiff for 5 years? If he does well, the increase in salary cap and his familiarity with the new line coach, org and being an immediate fan of Burrow (he is only 30)..I can see us giving him a 4 year deal. If you can at the very least add a solid G/C type of guy in round two like Meinerz, then you at least set for this year. You still have free agency next year and another draft next year if a guy or two leave.

I still think it is Chase, but would be happy as hell with Pitts also.

it would be nice to have the foresight to know how Reiff is going to work out for us.

my feeling is, we normally always end up starting backup OL at crucial points in the season, so we might as well plan on having a serviceable backup OL or two. If we do draft OT's in the first several rounds of the draft, it will not be a sin.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt - OL has to be a focus. The question right now is - do you take Sewell at 5, or do you look to add a skill position that could be an All-Pro for the next 10 years at 5, and look at OL in round 2 and round 3 with the depth out there?

Also - could be a moot point - what if ATL takes Sewell? Then what? Do you stick with the 5th pick and take Chase/Pitts...do you trade back and see if either of those guys fall to you or do you trade back and take Slater?

So much can happen, and really - the Bengals are going to win this pick no matter what. National media guys may hammer them a bit if they pass on Sewell, but probably not a ton if it's Pitts/Chase plus knowing how deep the draft is. Round 2 is where you make your bones in this draft, IMO. If you nail round 2, then round 1 is a HR no matter who you pick. If they whiff in round 2, then round one becomes heavily scrutinized.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt - OL has to be a focus. The question right now is - do you take Sewell at 5, or do you look to add a skill position that could be an All-Pro for the next 10 years at 5, and look at OL in round 2 and round 3 with the depth out there?

Also - could be a moot point - what if ATL takes Sewell? Then what? Do you stick with the 5th pick and take Chase/Pitts...do you trade back and see if either of those guys fall to you or do you trade back and take Slater?

So much can happen, and really - the Bengals are going to win this pick no matter what. National media guys may hammer them a bit if they pass on Sewell, but probably not a ton if it's Pitts/Chase plus knowing how deep the draft is. Round 2 is where you make your bones in this draft, IMO. If you nail round 2, then round 1 is a HR no matter who you pick. If they whiff in round 2, then round one becomes heavily scrutinized.
Honestly it would be much less stressful if whoever picks 4th takes Sewell or Chase. We wouldn’t have to live with the career comparison and “what if” we took the other guy.
Another scenario I could get behind is to trade down from 5 to 7,8,9 and pick up another 2nd round pick. Take Slater or a WR there then trade either the acquired 2nd round pick or 38 and a 3rd or 4th and trade back into the late first to take whichever position they didn’t take early, and still have the additional second round pick.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if there's no Sewell, you take the best player available. so probably Chase or Pitts.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there's no Sewell, you take the best player available. so probably Chase or Pitts.
I'd argue you can still trade back. If the goal is OL - you can land Slater anywhere from 7-12 most likely. Grab that 2nd round pick, and then you can double up on OL/BPA or use that to trade back into the 1st round if f you feel like you need to land a WR.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue you can still trade back. If the goal is OL - you can land Slater anywhere from 7-12 most likely. Grab that 2nd round pick, and then you can double up on OL/BPA or use that to trade back into the 1st round if f you feel like you need to land a WR.

we have multiple positions that could be upgraded or filled in for depth, so trading back is probably the best thing we can do.

no guarantee we do that though. this is one of the teams that turned down Ditka's lunatic trade offer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have multiple positions that could be upgraded or filled in for depth, so trading back is probably the best thing we can do.

no guarantee we do that though. this is one of the teams that turned down Ditka's lunatic trade offer.
True. It's the logical move if Sewell is gone and you really want an OL in round 1 - that doesn't usually suit the Bengals...LOL

I'm all for taking Pitts and Chase as well if Sewell is gone, but you run that risk by taking either at 5. If you can trade down, grab an extra 2nd, then it makes total sense to take whoever's left (or either if both are still there) and then being able to use those 2nd round picks to move back into the 1st round, or doubling up on OL in round 2.

All of this, as you mentioned, requires the Bengals to actually be aware of what is going on - history is not on our side with this...LOL

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. It's the logical move if Sewell is gone and you really want an OL in round 1 - that doesn't usually suit the Bengals...LOL

I'm all for taking Pitts and Chase as well if Sewell is gone, but you run that risk by taking either at 5. If you can trade down, grab an extra 2nd, then it makes total sense to take whoever's left (or either if both are still there) and then being able to use those 2nd round picks to move back into the 1st round, or doubling up on OL in round 2.

All of this, as you mentioned, requires the Bengals to actually be aware of what is going on - history is not on our side with this...LOL

I would really like an extra 2nd round pick, but I just don't see it being worth losing out on Sewell, Chase or Pitts. I am getting less and less on Sewell's side too. Why are so many experts now picking Slater to be the first tackle off the board and I see mocks with Sewell sliding back into the early teens? Granted, I am not going to be upset if Sewell is taken, I will be alright, let's go. Lawrence, Pitts and Chase are not dropping on their charts. I see so many prospect rankings with Lawrence as the #1, Pitts as the #2 and Chase as the #3. Pitts has even jumped to #1 on a few analysts board. Unless you are getting a haul for the pick, and we are only going back a few, I say stand pat and just take one. I don't believe a single 2nd rounder as a haul either if you are losing out on Pitts or Chase.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really like an extra 2nd round pick, but I just don't see it being worth losing out on Sewell, Chase or Pitts. I am getting less and less on Sewell's side too. Why are so many experts now picking Slater to be the first tackle off the board and I see mocks with Sewell sliding back into the early teens? Granted, I am not going to be upset if Sewell is taken, I will be alright, let's go. Lawrence, Pitts and Chase are not dropping on their charts. I see so many prospect rankings with Lawrence as the #1, Pitts as the #2 and Chase as the #3. Pitts has even jumped to #1 on a few analysts board. Unless you are getting a haul for the pick, and we are only going back a few, I say stand pat and just take one. I don't believe a single 2nd rounder as a haul either if you are losing out on Pitts or Chase.
No doubt it's a risk.

Let's say all 3 are there at #5 - definately trade down...but maybe not past #8. One of those 3 will still be there, plus you get an extra 2nd rounder. To me, that's worth it. Especially if they've done their HW on OL in the 2nd round. I'm also starting to see some Mocks with Hudson going early in round 3, and you know he's been my "sleeper" guy at OT through this entire process.

Let's say you slide back to #8 - at worst you take Slater, at best you still get Sewell/Chase/Pitts and you get an extra 2nd. If the edge from Miami falls, a couple of those WR's fall, or DT/LB fall - you suddenly can double dip in that round and still lean on taking Hudson in Round 3 or if you take Chase/Pitts - you can still take a need at LB/Edge and land Cosmi/Leatherwood/other there (assuming they are there for this) and Hudson in round 3.

It really just depends on how much HW they do on those kids in the 2nd round for OL. There will be 5-6 guys all available that will go 2nd round at some point. If they feel that any one of those guys can step in and play guard immediately, or swing OT - then you are set with 2 picks. Grab who you need in round 1 at the traded down spot - and the as the board takes shape in late round 1 you are left with a ton of options.

You could land Sewell/Slater and use both 2's (or a 2 and a 3) and trade up back into late round 1 for a WR. If you still have a 2 left - then you can still select BPA there, with a lot of intriguing options from Cosmi/Leatherwood/etc on OL to the Butkus award winner at LB, one of the top Edge guys in the draft etc...etc...

Just so many options right now.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, Detroit trades up with us with their 2nd round pick to keep anyone else from getting the last heralded QB of the Fab 5 to sit and learn a year behind Goff. Then they can jettison Goff to save money, and can re-enter the FA market the following year with a ballooned cap and a cheaper QB ready to lead their team.

This is my ideal scenario...1 QB left on the board, several teams calling for that #5 position, ultimately DET ponies up their 2nd rounder to nab that 5th QB to keep DEN, WAS or NE from trading up in our spot.

Miami goes with Pitts and then we still draft Chase with the #7 pick. We grab DET 2nd rounder #41. Pick #38 becomes a player that should have never dropped this far, so an immediate bargain, like DE Carlos Basham Jr. Use DET's #41 pick to draft Quinn Meinerz for OG/C. 3rd round pick #69 becomes OT James Hudson (mostly to appease you Cincy78...haha) That gives us everything we want and need in the first 2 days of the draft.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, Detroit trades up with us with their 2nd round pick to keep anyone else from getting the last heralded QB of the Fab 5 to sit and learn a year behind Goff. Then they can jettison Goff to save money, and can re-enter the FA market the following year with a ballooned cap and a cheaper QB ready to lead their team.

This is my ideal scenario...1 QB left on the board, several teams calling for that #5 position, ultimately DET ponies up their 2nd rounder to nab that 5th QB to keep DEN, WAS or NE from trading up in our spot.

Miami goes with Pitts and then we still draft Chase with the #7 pick. We grab DET 2nd rounder #41. Pick #38 becomes a player that should have never dropped this far, so an immediate bargain, like DE Carlos Basham Jr. Use DET's #41 pick to draft Quinn Meinerz for OG/C. 3rd round pick #69 becomes OT James Hudson (mostly to appease you Cincy78...haha) That gives us everything we want and need in the first 2 days of the draft.
If you trade back and none of those 3 end up left - you can always try and trade back again and land Slater...I did this in one of the simulations and ended up with 3 2nd round picks. I believe I went:

1- Slater (pick 12 or 13? Can't remember)

1 - WR (Can't remember who it was, though, Moore? Kid from Purdue? yeah, can't recall) traded a 2nd and a 3rd to move up to #25, I think it was with Jax

2 - Leatherwood

2 - LB from Auburn

So, in those 4 picks - I was able to land 2 potential immediate starters at either OT/OG, a top WR, and one of the top LB's to help with the defense

I know * hard to believe I traded that 3rd and passed up on Hudson - LOL - but my goal is to find guys that can play OT, but also have some guard ability - Hudson is going to end up a pure OT, IMO.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with your scenario is, I don't think many teams believe that the Bengals would trade all the way back to the late teens/early 20's, so a team like Detroit may play hardball with giving a 2nd rounder or just call Miami instead.
We all know the bengals aren't very proactive and will find a way to squander the value of having a high pick and teams vying for it. This has all been very fun to speculate on, but in the end, bengals will bengal.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with your scenario is, I don't think many teams believe that the Bengals would trade all the way back to the late teens/early 20's, so a team like Detroit may play hardball with giving a 2nd rounder or just call Miami instead.
We all know the bengals aren't very proactive and will find a way to squander the value of having a high pick and teams vying for it. This has all been very fun to speculate on, but in the end, bengals will bengal.
Agreed - it's unlikely the Bengals trade.

Problem is - if you really want a QB that drops - you risk Miami trading out of the 6th spot, and they are absolutely a team that is known to trade and drop back.

So, if you are Detroit with that 7th pick - do you risk not engaging Cincinnati knowing that a team behind them at 8-9, or later, could jump into that 6th spot and take their guy?

I think Cincinnati will get tons of calls. I think it depends on who is available from the group of 3 we've all discussed, and how far down the drop is. Also in that conversation is - how much do they like Slater - because dropping back (again depending on who is available) could mean missing out on all 3 of those guys. If they are OK with Slater - then it's not a big issue. If they absolutely value any of those 3 well above Slater - then you have to pick how far back you are willing to drop based on how many of those 3 are still available.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - it's unlikely the Bengals trade.

Problem is - if you really want a QB that drops - you risk Miami trading out of the 6th spot, and they are absolutely a team that is known to trade and drop back.

So, if you are Detroit with that 7th pick - do you risk not engaging Cincinnati knowing that a team behind them at 8-9, or later, could jump into that 6th spot and take their guy?

I think Cincinnati will get tons of calls. I think it depends on who is available from the group of 3 we've all discussed, and how far down the drop is. Also in that conversation is - how much do they like Slater - because dropping back (again depending on who is available) could mean missing out on all 3 of those guys. If they are OK with Slater - then it's not a big issue. If they absolutely value any of those 3 well above Slater - then you have to pick how far back you are willing to drop based on how many of those 3 are still available.
We're also assuming Pitts is in their "big 3." Just because we all like him and want him (to varying degrees), doesn't mean they want him. I haven't heard much talk about Pitts from the usual bengals mouthpieces (unless I missed it).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're also assuming Pitts is in their "big 3." Just because we all like him and want him (to varying degrees), doesn't mean they want him. I haven't heard much talk about Pitts from the usual bengals mouthpieces (unless I missed it).
True - there hasn't been a lot of smoke, but IMO that's because of Sewell fitting the OL narrative, and then Chase's relationship with Burrow and the fact that everyone seems to focus on losing AJ Green, despite having Higgins already drafted last year.

If you are interested in Chase, you have to consider Pitts, IMO - and landing Pitts at 7-8-9 would not be a terrible consolation prize for dropping back and getting a 2nd round pick in exchange.

But, you are right - the Bengals may only be looking at 2 guys: Sewell and Chase, and if that is the case, I don't see them moving down at all unless both are available at 5, and Det is looking to swap picks to grab a QB - even then, could be a risk they grab Chase to pair up with their new QB, so...yeah. If its only those two, I don't see them trading back.