• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My "Jerry is a Fool" Thread of the Week

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our GM!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20140315-gosselin-how-the-cowboys-dynasty-died-late-one-night-nearly-20-years-ago.ece

I spent hours with Jones for a few evenings in camp crafting the few quotes that would appear from the owner in that story to make it appear he was more involved than he was. But from personal experience, I knew the details of some Cowboys trades before the team owner did.

Read that article when it was published in March. One of the primary reasons I trust Rick Gosselin above all other Dallas writers are nuggets like that. As far as Jerry... it just shows what we were in store well before it happened.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive never liked Gooselin for some reason. Dont know why. Writers tend to rub me the wrong way. I know they are just doing there job

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our GM!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20140315-gosselin-how-the-cowboys-dynasty-died-late-one-night-nearly-20-years-ago.ece

I spent hours with Jones for a few evenings in camp crafting the few quotes that would appear from the owner in that story to make it appear he was more involved than he was. But from personal experience, I knew the details of some Cowboys trades before the team owner did.

Isn't this old news for most of us?

Wake me up when we have a "wayback" machine to go back and change this.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive never liked Gooselin for some reason. Dont know why. Writers tend to rub me the wrong way. I know they are just doing there job

Always found him to be no frills but on point. And - he's plugged in way more than the talking heads on espen and NFLN.

We are pretty lucky here. Unlike many other markets, we as fans have solid reporting from the beat writers at DMN. They are fair but don't sugar coat things.

Unlike that rag in Ft. Worth which has devolved into the New York Post. I remember when they used to be respected.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea what might have been

hindsight is always the clearest

Training camp starts soon so hope still springs eternal for this year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this old news for most of us?

Wake me up when we have a "wayback" machine to go back and change this.

Yeah, it's called July on an NFL board. If you don't like it, don't read it. In the meantime feel free to start up something current yourself...

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in the Nashville area so I really cant listen to the radio shows in Big D. I normally read quite a bit though. Gooselin sort of pissed me off one time for saying crap about Romo. You will find out soon that every INT he throws is the WR fault from my perspective lol. I would love to figure out the guy who really has the pulse of this team, meaning knows everything. I have read them all and for some reason they all tend to tick me off, with exception of Todd Archer from ESPN. Im not saying he is great or anything , but he does take time to chat with the fans and any question I have he usually gives his best answer. I appreciate that.

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea what might have been

hindsight is always the clearest

Training camp starts soon so hope still springs eternal for this year

I've been thinking, trading up for a car or gun is usually affordable, trading up in women not so much, but trading up for a new GM at this point is probably prohibitive.

Unless the Dallas fans can do what GB did and buy the team...

Hope Springs...

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's called July on an NFL board. If you don't like it, don't read it. In the meantime feel free to start up something current yourself...

Don't take it personal. My point is we all know the problem, I'm just wishing for a solution.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in the Nashville area so I really cant listen to the radio shows in Big D. I normally read quite a bit though. Gooselin sort of pissed me off one time for saying crap about Romo. You will find out soon that every INT he throws is the WR fault from my perspective lol. I would love to figure out the guy who really has the pulse of this team, meaning knows everything. I have read them all and for some reason they all tend to tick me off, with exception of Todd Archer from ESPN. Im not saying he is great or anything , but he does take time to chat with the fans and any question I have he usually gives his best answer. I appreciate that.

I would say to give Goose another chance. He has been pretty scathing in his criticism of Romo but he saves the bulk of it for Jerry. His mantra is "It's a young man's game" and Jerry's draft "philosophy" is usually his area of scorn - as it is for most of us. Those 2008/09 drafts hang like an albatross around the Cowboys. I follow him and Todd Archer on Twitter. I find both of them equally accessible there and agree with them far more than I disagree.

I'll tell you who DOESN'T have the pulse of the team... Calvin Watkins is awful. Dude has nothing. Isn't even respected among his peers.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking, trading up for a car or gun is usually affordable, trading up in women not so much, but trading up for a new GM at this point is probably prohibitive.

Unless the Dallas fans can do what GB did and buy the team...

Hope Springs...

I still maintain - getting sycophants out of the draft room and getting respected people in there to give Jerry advice is the quickest way to fix his reputation as a GM.

Wish he felt the same way.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm shocked this is the root of your dislike of the man!!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still maintain - getting sycophants out of the draft room and getting respected people in there to give Jerry advice is the quickest way to fix his reputation as a GM.

Wish he felt the same way.

It's like I've said over and over and someone posted in this thread or the other one yesterday. It's a pride thing. Jerry loves his team, but above all craves to be viewed and accepted as a Football guy. He wants the team to be successful, but even moreso wants to be given credit for that success. Sad that he will die too stubborn to see that the best thing he can for this team is nothing.

I know most say he is a great owner and I whole heartedly disagree. One of the most important things an owner does is pick the right GM to pick his players and decide on the direction of his team. Jerry has been worse than any owner in the league at this for quite some time. Writing a check in a cap world doesn't make you a good owner IMO.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say to give Goose another chance. He has been pretty scathing in his criticism of Romo but he saves the bulk of it for Jerry. His mantra is "It's a young man's game" and Jerry's draft "philosophy" is usually his area of scorn - as it is for most of us. Those 2008/09 drafts hang like an albatross around the Cowboys. I follow him and Todd Archer on Twitter. I find both of them equally accessible there and agree with them far more than I disagree.

I'll tell you who DOESN'T have the pulse of the team... Calvin Watkins is awful. Dude has nothing. Isn't even respected among his peers.

I once wrote Calvin a letter. I thought he was way too hard on wade Phillips in a press conference. It was hard to make PHillips mad, but for some reason that day he really got to him. He actually wrote me back and told me that he had patched things up with WAde right after it. He said he apologized. Not sue if he really did or not. We have a guy here in Tennessee that covers the TItans and also writes for Espn. He is formerly from Ny so his bias to the north rubs people wrong here. Truth is he tells it like it is. With that being said, we have had our run ins before on the radio.

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like I've said over and over and someone posted in this thread or the other one yesterday. It's a pride thing. Jerry loves his team, but above all craves to be viewed and accepted as a Football guy. He wants the team to be successful, but even moreso wants to be given credit for that success. Sad that he will die too stubborn to see that the best thing he can for this team is nothing.

I know most say he is a great owner and I whole heartedly disagree. One of the most important things an owner does is pick the right GM to pick his players and decide on the direction of his team. Jerry has been worse than any owner in the league at this for quite some time. Writing a check in a cap world doesn't make you a good owner IMO.

His willingness to spend money on the team is a positive. His ego requiring his omnipotence is a bad thing. Fans complain about the problem, writes point it out in print and on film. How does Jerry, the astute businessman get control of Jerry the human and make changes like Otis recommend?

Any psychologists reading this?

I don't think he changes until it hits him in his wallet, where he values results.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once wrote Calvin a letter. I thought he was way too hard on wade Phillips in a press conference. It was hard to make PHillips mad, but for some reason that day he really got to him. He actually wrote me back and told me that he had patched things up with WAde right after it. He said he apologized. Not sue if he really did or not. We have a guy here in Tennessee that covers the TItans and also writes for Espn. He is formerly from Ny so his bias to the north rubs people wrong here. Truth is he tells it like it is. With that being said, we have had our run ins before on the radio.

I would love to hear those calls if you have any audio

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He could pick a GM tomorrow and you would instantly assume the GM is a puppet.

It's your right to hate the guy. It is somewhat justified. But if Jerry made every move you wanted for the next 10 years ..I don't see your opinion changing at all. So when you say a good owner does this or that ...I really see that as all theater when it comes to Jerry. With all respect, your just to far gone.

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could pick a GM tomorrow and you would instantly assume the GM is a puppet.

It's your right to hate the guy. It is somewhat justified. But if Jerry made every move you wanted for the next 10 years ..and don't see your opinion changing at all. So when you say a good owner does this or that ...I really see that as all theater when it comes to Jerry. With all respect, your just to far gone.

So what would be a turn around for the team in your opinion?